TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Real or imagined competition? Tesla still leads the EV charge

Discussion in 'Future Vehicles' started by Tiger, Mar 17, 2019.

1. Tiger

Tiger Active Member

2. adiggs

adiggs Active Member

My napkin math on battery demand yields the same answer in batteries as we've already found in BEVs - the more makers of quality BEVs, the better.

In batteries, when somebody other than Tesla builds a new 50 GWh / year battery manufacturing plant, they don't displace 50 GWh/year of Tesla battery manufacturing consumption - they just provide the world with another 50 GWh/year of batteries, in a world where my napkin math gets me to 500+ GWh/year for the United States in battery demand.

So like, good - more battery manufacturing plants, more battery chemistry advances, more scale, lower prices, better performing and more reliable batteries. Everybody's boat is going to float and as a TSLA investor, I trust that Tesla is close enough to the leading edge of battery technology that they're going to be earning an outsized fraction of that market.

• Informative x 1
  3. sreams

sreams Member

4. Brando

Brando Active Member

who might be THE LARGEST battery buyer? yes, TESLA