Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Real SUV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I like the Model X, but can we get a more macho SUV eventually? Think Jeep Wrangler.

It needs to be truck based.
They'll probably announce a truck in the next couple years but I would guess a Jeep type thing is pretty far down the list although you never know. With a low center of gravity and very balanced weight distribution it seems like it would/could probably outperform most things off road. Not a big off-roader but I like the idea of being able to drive someplace really remote, setting up a solar array to charge for a couple days then heading back. Wonder if they'll include air suspension, you hear a lot of reliability stories about it but it sounds great until it breaks. Would be even cooler if they make it floating and watertight, aka a boat. Or maybe even put that James Bond car to work and make it a submarine too.

• Funny
Reactions: Rusty1
After Tesla has launched and ramped the Pickup it seems like a logical next step to use a truck platform for SUVs. It will probably launch the Pickup after the Model Y and Semi so roughly 2020. So maybe they could start making truck-based SUVs in the 2021-2022 timeframe?

Since truck-based ICE SUVs tend to get lousy mileage offering a mix of SUV styles and sizes would promote Tesla's mission. Tesla's batteries will also be a lot cheaper by then which should help the numbers work out.

Reactions: RobStark and Rusty1
Horses for courses. I don’t think anyone should be surprised. The Model X is a road car with low wheel travel and ground clearance, optimized for areodynamics. The wife’s Evoque, though hardly the most macho SUV, but with twice the ground clearance and even longer wheel travel is much better suited to this rough stuff.

Horses for courses. I don’t think anyone should be surprised. The Model X is a road car with low wheel travel and ground clearance, optimized for areodynamics. The wife’s Evoque, though hardly the most macho SUV, but with twice the ground clearance and even longer wheel travel is much better suited to this rough stuff.
That is exactly my point. Tesla does not have and needs to develop a horse for this course. It needs to be a truck based SUV similar to a Jeep Wrangler.

I would love this if I could use the Tesla Supercharger network. How am I suppose to drive this to Disney World?
The Bollinger only has a 200 mile range, so even with Supercharger access it would not be much of a highway vehicle. I'm sure with the aerodynamics that it has, the highway range would be less than that.

That's the issue with a "real" SUV -- the aerodynamics cut the range so much. With an ICE SUV, you just put in a bigger gas tank. Adding more battery adds more weight, then a heavier suspension to carry the weight, then your range goes down so you add more battery...

• Love
Reactions: Brando
I very much doubt we will see a Wrangler type vehicle in the foreseeable future.

Elon wants to go after ICE industry cash cows.

Model 3 and Model Y go after Germany and Lexus cash cows.

Tesla pickup goes after Detroit's cash cow.

Makes sense to offer a Tahoe/Suburban/Expedition type vehicle on the Tesla pickup platform.

Midsize CUV Model Y
Fullsize CUV Model X
Jumbo SUV Model XXL

Even if Model XXL only gets 80 MPGe it is still much better than 19 MPG and moves the needle.

I very much doubt we will see a Wrangler type vehicle in the foreseeable future.

Elon wants to go after ICE industry cash cows.

Model 3 and Model Y go after Germany and Lexus cash cows.

Tesla pickup goes after Detroit's cash cow.

Makes sense to offer a Tahoe/Suburban/Expedition type vehicle on the Tesla pickup platform.

Midsize CUV Model Y
Fullsize CUV Model X
Jumbo SUV Model XXL

Even if Model XXL only gets 80 MPGe it is still much better than 19 MPG and moves the needle.

You make a good point -- it does seem likely that the "Model XXL" would be in line before a Jeep Wrangler type vehicle. I would add the Escalade and Navigator to your list of targets.

Reactions: Rusty1