Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Real Time California Supercharger Brownout Info

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Before I start my trip tomorrow through the hottest area in the country right now, I want to check today's open Supercharger stalls along I-5 in Northern California, which, because of the historic heat dome, is prompting PGE brownouts for the next couple of days. If I cannot charge due to shut-offs by the utility, I can take a Diesel car with great range to get me through the critical area.

I checked A Better Routeplanner to get live updates of supercharger availability, but cannot seem to navigate to that page. Someone else also suggested the Tesla iPhone app, but there is no info on Superchargers enroute, other than "nearby" (I will be coming from another state).

Can someone please link a website URL so I can check live Supercharger availability?

Last edited:
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Before I start my trip tomorrow through the hottest area in the country right now, I want to check today's open Supercharger stalls along I-5 in Northern California, which, because of the historic heat dome, is prompting PGE brownouts for the next couple of days. If I cannot charge due to shut-offs by the utility, I can take a Diesel car with great range to get me through the critical area.

I checked A Better Routeplanner to get live updates of supercharger availability, but cannot seem to navigate to that page. Someone else also suggested the Tesla iPhone app, but there is no info on Superchargers enroute, other than "nearby" (I will be coming from another state).

Can someone please link a website URL so I can check live Supercharger availability?
What’s your Tesla map say?

Today appears to be the hottest day by a good margin and CA ISO demand/supply forecast is looking decent.

I don't think you have anything to worry about. Watch the map on your drive for any site closures and be prepared to stop early or drive to the next charger if one is offline. There are so many options on I-5 now it should be easy enough to work around any rolling blackouts should that come to pass.

ABRP give you live Supercharger status if you are on a subscription.
You are trying to plan for rolling blackouts, and, since the are "rolling" it will be hard to plan ahead.
Use the onboard system, and make sure you have enough charge for alternatives. The navigation should send you away from any down Superchargers.

• Informative
Your Tesla will provide you with accurate information as to the current status of the supercharger and how many stalls are available.

That said, I am not sure that any of that matters, because what matters is whether you have power while YOU are there. If you're that worried about it, I would recommend alternative transportation.

They did say brownout so perhaps reduced status can be useful.
People almost always mean blackout in this context when they say brownout.

A brownout is a dangerous and potentially damaging event where there isn't enough power available to meet demand, resulting in a voltage drop on the grid.

Rolling blackouts are implemented to prevent brownouts, as they temporarily shed load to bring demand in line with supply.

People almost always mean blackout in this context when they say brownout.

A brownout is a dangerous and potentially damaging event where there isn't enough power available to meet demand, resulting in a voltage drop on the grid.

Rolling blackouts are implemented to prevent brownouts, as they temporarily shed load to bring demand in line with supply.
I suppose that’s fair. You would think they would prioritize power delivery to back off DCFC stations during those times from peak rates to something nominal like 25-50KW per stall.

This info just came from our 6800 home active senior community. It gave me a better understanding of how the rolling blackouts work.
Good Evening Residents,

I received a recent phone call from the City Manager, after he had a conversation with a PG&E representative. PG&E told him that most of the City, is on the list for potential two-hour rolling blackouts.

• The City is setting up the XXXXXXXX Library as a cooling center, which will be open all hours.
  • In addition, XXXXXXXX is a potential cooling center as well. XXX Lodge is open until 9 pm and is on Outage block 50. Those customers are generally exempt from rotating outages. Essential services such as hospitals, police, and fire departments share a circuit with this block.

PG&E has told him that no area would be without power for more than two hours.