Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Real-time Kwh/mile sudden drop

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This morning I experienced a sudden drop from 637 kwh/mile to 167 kwh/mile while driving for 10 minutes at this point in 36F temp with a battery pretty much cold soaked since I only pre-heated for maybe 10 minutes before starting out.

I have never seen this happen before and there was no indication of an issue.

I should add that I started out with the battery charge @ 29% so the charge at the point where the kwh/mile just drastically changed was at 23%. I rarely run it that low and I typically keep the pack between 25%-85% SoC.

Has anyone else seen this or heard of this occurring? Is this a sign of an issue with the pack?

Around 20 or 25% the car automatically disables some functions (sentry mode, etc.) to save power. One of them might be the battery heater. 637 kwh/mile also seems very, very high. Even with the battery heater on and a cold soaked battery, I don't think I've ever seen it that high.

Maybe when I dropped below 25% traveling on the highway and let up on the accelerator that action along with the shutdown of the battery heating operation caused the kwh/mile to drastically lower. Not sure, possibly.

Thanks for your reply. You have never seen your kwh/mile that high? What about when you first get into the car and turn on the cabin heat w/o yet moving? I have seen it over 1000 kwh/mile during this period. Briefly albeit. Using all that energy and not yet moving or maybe just starting out on a trip and not up to speed yet to average it out.

I jave seen the 5 mile average over 800wh/m on a cold start.

I suspect it was a combination of pack heater shutting down, maybe interior heat slowing and some regen.

At 65mph in theory an S falls somewhere in the 250-295wh/m range depending on on which variant. I am sure someone has more details but close enough for now.

167wh/m is extraordinarily low and 600+ indicates heaters are working hard driving consumption up.

Agreed. With range mode ON too still 167 wh/m is unheard of, hence, my post like seeing a unicorn this morning. Additionally my wh/m was pinned at 637 for quite a few minutes which I thought was weird too and this is right before it plummeted to 167 which then raised to like 222 and such for the last few miles of my commute.

It may very well be bc the battery was approaching a low SoC well 25% and with the cold temps it was preserving itself????

I have a 2020 MSLR+.....7600 miles.....short trips and a few road trips....mostly in town driving......with 7600 miles I have a lifetime average of 248kWh......normal driving with A/C and or hating depending on the outside temperature.....car seems to have settled down din am consistently getting 396 battery capacity and 392nrated range.....I cannot complain.....has been this way now for 6 months.....was worried it should be getting 402 but, there has not been a change for a long time....still consistent....

I had it too, drop from high to very low during my drive few days ago but it ended up with MCU reboot. In not that drastic situation you can lower your everyday consumption by switching a/c off. Just today I did so and about 150km of drive the average amount dropped to almost as same as in summer, ambient temperature was around zero or below. No freezing in cabin...