TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Real-time traffic data not showing up

Discussion in 'Model X: User Interface' started by HabitualUser, Jun 20, 2017.

1. HabitualUser

HabitualUser Member

This has happened before, but usually resolves after a restart: traffic is not showing up on the Nav. map.

Before I call the service center, does anyone has a quick fix? (I've tried restarting both screens multiple times)

2. vandacca

vandacca ReActive Member

I haven't seen traffic information on the Navigation map in 4-5 months. I've been meaning to look into it, but I find it very annoying that it's missing. Especially when the Navigation takes you on a bizarre route and you have no idea why. I'm curious to hear what you discover.

3. HabitualUser

HabitualUser Member

Ok I think I fixed it. I restarted the screen again, and this time the 3 icons popped up on the map, one of which toggles the traffic. Before these icons weren't showing up, but I think once you select the icon it will keep it as a default

4. bcampbelllds

bcampbelllds Member

Mine was out of commission last night for a few hours. It was back this morning.

5. David99

David99 Active Member

The funny thing is, the traffic info that is displyed on the center screen is from Google, but since the actually navigation and routing is done by a different system (Navigon according to Elon), the route is not taking that traffic info into consideration. It gets the traffic info from a different source. In theory of course traffic in would be the same no matter what service collects it, but in reality the data that Google has vs the other service is not the same. Many times has Tesla's navigation routed me right into traffic when Google or Waze (owned by Google) found a better way with less traffic. IOW, it is nice to look at the traffic data on the map but it's not helping the navigation the way it should.

PS: the reason for using the other system for navigation is that it works independent of a data connection, which is important.

• Informative x 1
  6. vandacca

vandacca ReActive Member

I suspect that the "other" source is via the FM traffic band.

7. David99

David99 Active Member

I remember someone here mentioned the service that is used to get the traffic info, but I forgot. Definitely not google's data.