Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Real-time traffic data not showing up

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I haven't seen traffic information on the Navigation map in 4-5 months. I've been meaning to look into it, but I find it very annoying that it's missing. Especially when the Navigation takes you on a bizarre route and you have no idea why. I'm curious to hear what you discover.

The funny thing is, the traffic info that is displyed on the center screen is from Google, but since the actually navigation and routing is done by a different system (Navigon according to Elon), the route is not taking that traffic info into consideration. It gets the traffic info from a different source. In theory of course traffic in would be the same no matter what service collects it, but in reality the data that Google has vs the other service is not the same. Many times has Tesla's navigation routed me right into traffic when Google or Waze (owned by Google) found a better way with less traffic. IOW, it is nice to look at the traffic data on the map but it's not helping the navigation the way it should.

PS: the reason for using the other system for navigation is that it works independent of a data connection, which is important.

• Informative
Reactions: HabitualUser
The funny thing is, the traffic info that is displyed on the center screen is from Google, but since the actually navigation and routing is done by a different system (Navigon according to Elon), the route is not taking that traffic info into consideration. It gets the traffic info from a different source. In theory of course traffic in would be the same no matter what service collects it, but in reality the data that Google has vs the other service is not the same. Many times has Tesla's navigation routed me right into traffic when Google or Waze (owned by Google) found a better way with less traffic. IOW, it is nice to look at the traffic data on the map but it's not helping the navigation the way it should.

PS: the reason for using the other system for navigation is that it works independent of a data connection, which is important.
I suspect that the "other" source is via the FM traffic band.