TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Real Time Traffic info without XM Radio (Ultra HiFi Sound Package)

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by Galve2000, Aug 7, 2013.

1. Galve2000

Galve2000 Member

I'm still coming to terms with the recent price increase but the new pricing of the Sound Studio package in disguise is by far the biggest issue for me.. According to most accounts the Sound Studio package was mediocre at best but for $900 over the base price it was a modest fee for the inclusionof XM radio and extra speakers.

My Chevy Volt receives real-time traffic info from XM (and I pay an extra $3.99 a month to XM for the feature) so all of a sudden I am wondering that even if I do get the Tech Package (which I want mostly for the GPS features and power liftgate as a close second), I won't have real-time traffic info b/c you cannot get XM without the Sound Studio package.

Can anyone confirm this? perhaps the Model S gets real-time traffic info from"the internet" instead?

2. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

traffic is from Google over the internt 3G connection

3. Galve2000

Galve2000 Member

and this is built into the on-board maps? or only shows up in the center console touch screen?

4. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

center console

5. evmile

evmile Member

The downside of using 3G instead of XM is once you are out of cell phone coverage your mapping/traffic stops. Basically the navigation screen freezes waiting for 3G/internet coverage.

6. pete8314

pete8314 Vendor

I've not used the Volt system, but personally I love the Google maps with the traffic overlay, and I assume it'll only get better as they start to integrate the Waze data. For me it's far more useful than TMS or similar systems, I can see a mile up the road, or 100 miles up the road. I have about 6 different ways of getting home from the office, and it's so easy to check the best options before leaving the parking lot. I certainly wouldn't pay for the sound studio just for the XM feature (I have it, but no longer subscribe to XM in the car, I stream whatever I need via my phone).

7. aaron0k

aaron0k Member

I have a Volt and MS. XM Traffic on the Volt seems to be more accurate and timely. I've found myself several times in at stand-still while Google shows all green (Los Angeles). I find Waze is better in all cases (and now that Google owns them, I expect their Traffic flows will improve).

8. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Agree. I had XM traffic on my Cadillac and it even provided audio alerts if you weren't using the maps (i.e. it would "speak" things like "accident in left lane in one mile"). If using the maps, it would route around traffic and obstructions since it even knew about lane restrictions and construction. It could also show the rate of traffic flow on certain roads that include the embedded sensors like the Gardiner Expressway in Toronto. Very cool.

My problem with Waze is that very few people where I drive are using it, and there is correspondingly very little traffic data.

9. Galve2000

Galve2000 Member

#9 Galve2000, Aug 8, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2013
    I have been mentally preparing for months now for the loss of certain features that the Volt does so well that are still missing inthe Model S. Traffic info is the latest thing that has come to mind.

Thank you all for the explanations. I trust google traffic info more than the XMinfo in the Volt but do like how it is constantly (and accurately) updating itself.

I also got a ticket for using my cell phone while driving when I was doing methodical comparison of the Volt's built in Navi vs google maps. I'll be spending 6 hours of my life taking an online "defensive driving"class to negate some of those points from my driving record. the experiment also cost me about $180 in traffic violations and service fees. :(

Totally not worth it.. but I'm a sucker for empirical data collection.

10. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Anyone know how Google gets its data? For me, it is pretty unreliable (often shows "green" when I've been stopped in traffic for a long time and vice versa). Plus Google doesn't seem to have any data on construction, lane closures, accident sites and so forth that XM Traffic does.

11. pete8314

pete8314 Vendor

I assume they get at least some of the data from us Model S drivers, and the fancier Audi's that have the Google maps integration. I'm frequently surprised how accurate it is, I have a traffic light not far from my house on a regular street, but it gets backed up at certain times of the day. I can almost 'see' how many cars are in line from the Google maps data. I do agree though, where a road is entirely closed, it just shows it as green, so they're not aggregating other publically available data that shows accidents and closures.