Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Real-time traffic not so real-time?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's silly. Nothing currently beats Waze in inhabited area's.
Agreed, but since Google owns Waze, and the Tesla nav screen is Google, there's some reason to hope that we'll get some integration. Unfortunately, since the routing is done on Navigon, all we'll get is better reports, but not better routes.

(Side bar: I wonder if Google Maps will ever implement the speed-trap/traffic-cam warnings in Waze? Of course they could, but has Google gone too mainstream to piss off the law enforcement community?)

I may be old fashioned but I really don't want an automatic rerouting based on traffic conditions. I would, however, like to alter my routing manually via draggable waypoints which I could do for any reason. Simply the google implementation to drag a point that then feeds the waypoint feature that already exists in Navigon on other platforms.

I suppose a configurable option on traffic rerouting would keep everyone happy, though.

I may be old fashioned but I really don't want an automatic rerouting based on traffic conditions.

The way most of the modern navigation systems work is that you're presented with a few options when first selecting your destination, with arrival times taking into account current traffic conditions. Then they provide notification if traffic becomes backed up during your drive and offer to route you around it (or notify you that there still isn't a better route and you're stuck). Then you're in control of the route being adjusted.

I'd hope for something like that.

The way most of the modern navigation systems work is that you're presented with a few options when first selecting your destination, with arrival times taking into account current traffic conditions. Then they provide notification if traffic becomes backed up during your drive and offer to route you around it (or notify you that there still isn't a better route and you're stuck). Then you're in control of the route being adjusted.

I'd really like it if all the Google options worked: Avoid tolls, avoid highways, pull the dot to change the route, add one or more way-points. In addition, I'd like a "save the route" option. That way you could plan the trip and when departure time came, you could just pull it up.

The traffic notifications don't really work here in DFW. It appears they just take a guess at what happens on a particular road during a particular time of day.