Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Real time traffic?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I dont wish to compare my tesla to my previous ice cars, but one feature I've noticed that shouldnt (or need not) be different is the real time traffic info on the map. Tesla obviously get the data from a different source than say bmw, but why is it so different, traffic is traffic.
I've had my model 3 for a month now & I've NEVER seen the traffic info being correct, unlike my previous cars which were pretty accurate.
I regularly drive through orange & red areas of the map to find Little or NO traffic let alone delays. If i took notice & changed my route I'd have done twice the milesge, so if I had to rate it I'd give it 3/10.
Is anyone finding the same?

Reactions: Cnixon
I dont wish to compare my tesla to my previous ice cars, but one feature I've noticed that shouldnt (or need not) be different is the real time traffic info on the map. Tesla obviously get the data from a different source than say bmw, but why is it so different, traffic is traffic.
I've had my model 3 for a month now & I've NEVER seen the traffic info being correct, unlike my previous cars which were pretty accurate.
I regularly drive through orange & red areas of the map to find Little or NO traffic let alone delays. If i took notice & changed my route I'd have done twice the milesge, so if I had to rate it I'd give it 3/10.
Is anyone finding the same?
I thought the data came from Google?
But I agree, my BMW system did seem better, displayed on its tiny little screen.

I find the Tesla traffic data mirror those on my Android phone which is accurate most of the time. Not surprising given the same data source. I prefer the phone data presentation as it shows green for clear roads. My Model 3 map only shows the orange/red congested areas and I haven’t found a setting to change it.

I may have been a little over the top saying its NEVER right but its certainly wrong most of the time here in the west mids. Perhaps that's the answer, it's not updated often enough! I cant say my bm was perfect but i never had to question it, but I don't know where the data came from.

I agree that the delay info is often, but not always out of date. Also, as someone with a colour vision defect, I can’t see the red lines against the typically green satellite picture. Would be good to be able to change the colour. The orange is ok for me.

I seem to remember that the traffic info comes from other Teslas that have 'recently' passed along the route. I have compared this to Google maps three times, and they are not the same. I have been through junctions with no traffic but they show red on the screen. It's not 'live' data.

Reactions: Yachtsman
I seem to remember that the traffic info comes from other Teslas that have 'recently' passed along the route. I have compared this to Google maps three times, and they are not the same. I have been through junctions with no traffic but they show red on the screen. It's not 'live' data.

I know there are a lot of teslas in the uk but theres not that many. As mobb says there are orange & red lines everywhere & when you get there theres nothing. I'm sure tesla could do a lot better if they tried.

The traffic used for routing is server-side, that could be the data you’re referring to. The traffic you see visually depicted on the map is google.

here’s a random comparison. Tesla on the left, google maps on an iPhone on the right

DA78E652-7C68-42C9-9A2D-0C1E643DBE4D.jpeg