Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Real World “Vampire Drain” Roll Call

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was thinking since a lot of our cars have been sitting idle for the past few weeks we should be able to compile a good amount of data on how much power the battery loses when parked for a while.

My P3 has been mostly idle since March 12. I drove it once about 3 miles on March 26 and updated the software to 12.1. No sentry mode (Garage Kept). I don’t wake up the car that often. (Maybe 4 times total).

Total battery drain since March 12: 13%

• Informative
Reactions: Gasaraki
Since percent means something different depending on your battery size....
I've lost 7 miles of range over the past 8 days.
(Drove today. Last time I drove was Sunday a week ago. According to TeslaFi it's been awakened 4 times in that period.)

• Disagree
Reactions: Gasaraki
From Stats, for Model 3. In summer, my drain drops to less than 0.1mi/hr:
IMG_5566.jpg

Per TeslaFi. Last time I drove my 3, I arrived home at 6:40 pm on 3/31. At that time, it was sitting at 56% charge/173.24 miles rated range.

As of 4/6/20, 3:42 pm, the car is sitting at 55% battery/170.57 rated range. (I reduced the charge to 50% as it is virtually in storage). Car wakes up each evening to check the charge and then goes back to sleep until the next evening (and a couple other short wake ups). I do not check the app nor have I been going in the car.

Less than 3 miles rated range loss in 6 days (and that is with the TeslaFi draining app!)

One percent is about 3 miles of rated range, but without decimals in the reading the error is large over a couple days test, even if miles are used.
I tried using rated Km instead of miles for more precision but I have seen the meter drop by a Km or even two after minimal energy consumption. This could be explained by the meter being tied to miles, or battery recalibrations.

If I ever learn to trust the distance/energy remaining meter, I have a method to improve precision: I use the distance and Wh/distance meters to calculate partial use of a unit before I stop and at the beginning of a trip.

As an aside, software updates wreck havoc with vampire drain calculations. Don't even bother

It's a tricky business, figuring out vampire drain.

Last edited:
I leave my app on because I do not want to experience problems with doors not unlocking. I also have my car connected to TeslaFi but properly configured for sleep. And I'm seeing under .5% per day. Do you guys run Sentry Mode in your garage?

Nope. Sentry mode and Summon turned off with TeslaFi recommended sleep mode settings for the Model 3. It would only sleep about 40% of the time. What are your sleep mode settings?

Even with background refresh turned off I never have a problem unlocking. I believe it just detects the phone, not the app.

Reactions: SageBrush
Nope. Sentry mode and Summon turned off with TeslaFi recommended sleep mode settings for the Model 3. It would only sleep about 40% of the time. What are your sleep mode settings?

Even with background refresh turned off I never have a problem unlocking. I believe it just detects the phone, not the app.

I don't have issues with the car sleeping with TeslaFi - now that I haven't driven the car, it sleeps almost all the time and when it wakes, usually back to sleep within an hour. Here are my sleep settings:

Time To Try Sleeping: 12
Idle Time Before Trying To Sleep: 20
Try To Sleep Requirements: All three unchecked (these seemed to keep the car awake).
Nighttime TeslaFi Sleep Mode from 9:00 pm - 5:00 am (don't think this matter as much)

Naturally, Sentry and Summon off at home. I have Background Refresh On for the app - doesn't wake the car.

I don't have issues with the car sleeping with TeslaFi - now that I haven't driven the car, it sleeps almost all the time and when it wakes, usually back to sleep within an hour. Here are my sleep settings:

Time To Try Sleeping: 12
Idle Time Before Trying To Sleep: 20
Try To Sleep Requirements: All three unchecked (these seemed to keep the car awake).
Nighttime TeslaFi Sleep Mode from 9:00 pm - 5:00 am (don't think this matter as much)

Naturally, Sentry and Summon off at home. I have Background Refresh On for the app - doesn't wake the car.

Thanks, I will give this a try. Do you have "Enable Retry Idle Timer:" checked?

GLM