Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Real World 0-60 for Plaid & Long Range WITHOUT Cheetah Launch Mode turned on?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The EPC shows that the motor part number and costs to be very different. LR is around $2500 for the rear motor, and $9080 for the Plaid rear motor.

There' more than just motor that looks to be different between the two. Take a look through the EPC for details.

Went through the EPC and also crawled under both cars recently. Rear drive units are of course very different. Inverters are different. Same pack. Front motors look the same and are priced the same ($4000). Rear subframe in the Plaid has a larger cavity to fit the massive drive unit. Couldn't find much else without actually tearing things down.

Told by family member at Tesla product planning that the LR model is currently being limited 0~65 by software for now and he believes a update/upgrade option will enable it to do better in the future. When asked if it is "able" to do 2.3sec. 0-60 like the prior Ludacris model (Raven) his response was, "it can do better".

This supports my theory that the two versions are really close. Plaid has the 3rd motor, but is comes with more weight, using the same power/battery. They both have the exact same braking systems. With rollout vs/ no rollout, and the assumption that the new updated LR is more advanced than Raven, you gotta believe Plaid vs. LR "capability" difference is less than 0.3 seconds.

It also would suggest that plaid really will become the plaid plus once they have the newer battery ready to properly power a 3rd motor. It almost doesnt make sense to power the 3 motor with the same as the dual... marketing!
It definitely is software limited seeing how hard it pulls after 60 and considering the high trap speed relative to the older P100D. I would definitely pay for a software unlock to bring it to where it's capable of.

One thing that's interesting to me is that it's capable of "670 horsepower" which is basically exactly 500kw. The older hardware is capable of more than this so I would be surprised if this new car isn't.

How much would you guys be willing to pay to bring it up to where it could be? I'd probably drop $10k.

It definitely is software limited seeing how hard it pulls after 60 and considering the high trap speed relative to the older P100D. I would definitely pay for a software unlock to bring it to where it's capable of.

One thing that's interesting to me is that it's capable of "670 horsepower" which is basically exactly 500kw. The older hardware is capable of more than this so I would be surprised if this new car isn't.

How much would you guys be willing to pay to bring it up to where it could be? I'd probably drop $10k.
Trap speeds were awesome. The LR is really pulling on the other end. If it is $5k or less, I'd buy it immediately.

Well I would qualify that by what sort of improvement are we actually getting. Are we dropping to the mid 2's with rollout, then I'd be in for sure at $10k. If maybe 2.7-2.8 with rollout, then $5k works for me.

Told by family member at Tesla product planning that the LR model is currently being limited 0~65 by software for now and he believes a update/upgrade option will enable it to do better in the future. When asked if it is "able" to do 2.3sec. 0-60 like the prior Ludacris model (Raven) his response was, "it can do better".

This supports my theory that the two versions are really close. Plaid has the 3rd motor, but is comes with more weight, using the same power/battery. They both have the exact same braking systems. With rollout vs/ no rollout, and the assumption that the new updated LR is more advanced than Raven, you gotta believe Plaid vs. LR "capability" difference is less than 0.3 seconds.

It also would suggest that plaid really will become the plaid plus once they have the newer battery ready to properly power a 3rd motor. It almost doesnt make sense to power the 3 motor with the same as the dual... marketing!

Despite the 3rd drive unit adding more weight, it's not *that* much more weight. It's also carbon sleeved and add's an additional 410 Nm of torque. I don't think that much additional torque is only a 0.3 second difference. Plaid will become what was going to be the Plaid Plus, but they'll probably just do a refresh and keep calling it the Plaid

Despite the 3rd drive unit adding more weight, it's not *that* much more weight. It's also carbon sleeved and add's an additional 410 Nm of torque. I don't think that much additional torque is only a 0.3 second difference. Plaid will become what was going to be the Plaid Plus, but they'll probably just do a refresh and keep calling it the Plaid
Yeah, but if you think about outgoing dual motor version, it could hit 2.3 0-60. With rollout factored, its pretty damn close to Plaid. I also agree with your line of thinking, but if they do that the price for Plaid will increase too.

Keep in mind, many electric competitors (Lucid, Porsche, BMW, etc.) are staring at that 3.1 0-60 on the base and will try to challenge it. All Tesla has to do is a software update and boom, we go under 3.1

The main benefits of the third motor and carbon sleeve are top speed and torque curve at higher RPM from what I understand.

I think post 60 we’re basically at the limit of the LR. Pre-60 seems very software limited though based on what we’ve seen with the current post 60 performance. P100D was already near Plaid to 60 but tapered off a lot.

I hope I’m wrong but I don’t think we will see a LR acceleration boost DLC a la 3/Y for a couple years just because it discourages people from buying Plaid.

Went through the EPC and also crawled under both cars recently. Rear drive units are of course very different. Inverters are different. Same pack. Front motors look the same and are priced the same ($4000). Rear subframe in the Plaid has a larger cavity to fit the massive drive unit. Couldn't find much else without actually tearing things down.
Front motors are the same, and by that I also confirmed both front motors have carbon fiber sleeves. Rear motors completely different.

• Funny
Reactions: bhzmark
The main benefits of the third motor and carbon sleeve are top speed and torque curve at higher RPM from what I understand.

I think post 60 we’re basically at the limit of the LR. Pre-60 seems very software limited though based on what we’ve seen with the current post 60 performance. P100D was already near Plaid to 60 but tapered off a lot.

I hope I’m wrong but I don’t think we will see a LR acceleration boost DLC a la 3/Y for a couple years just because it discourages people from buying Plaid.
Agree. My 75D got “uncorked” from 5 sec 0-60 to 4 sec but it was just before the model 3 came out And Tesla wanted to maintain the performance advantage of the S over the cheaper 3. I don’t think they’ll uncork the LR unless they have to, and that means competition from outside. Right now an uncorked LR will damage Plaid sales, but as soon as another manufacturer comes out with a reasonably priced LR competitor with just slightly better performance than the LR, I think Tesla will improve the LR by changing the software limits to keep the LR ahead. So how long until that competitor arrives? Anyone’s guess. Still if one buys the LR, and awaits the forced upgrade, they’re betting that it’ll happen before Tesla comes out with a new S model designation. Once there’s a new one, the current LR will be forever limited because there’ll be the incentive to purchase the newer one that’s a little quicker.

Someone mentioned they’d pay for FSD if they planned to keep the car for 10 years or more. As it was he’d paid $10K twice and $7K once for FSD 3 times and hadn’t benefitted. I think as other EVs come on line, they’ll include FSD equivalents far cheaper. At that point the extra $10K won’t be sustainable. I tend to keep cars until they’re old enough to vote, and I don’t think I’d pay $10K for FSD until I see it working as FSD should work, then only if it isn’t available elsewhere on a competitor cheaper. I do have FSD, I upgraded during a sale with the added promise of a newer computer. That was worth it but I don’t use the automatic parking or the automatic unparking where the car comes to get me. I’ve tried it a couple of times but it turned the wrong way once. That‘s enough. I don’t trust it. I don’t like the automatic lane changes, they’re too frequent for me. So I have FSD, I’ve had it 4 years so far, and there’s nothing I use even remotely worth an additional $10K.

I do love my car. 4 second 0-60 is good enough, it pulls very strongly at low speeds, and pretty strongly at all speeds. Tesla adds incentives as sales fall, the lifetime free charging is great. I don’t use it much, but I just do like the thought of having it. I wouldn’t be surprised to see it again when the heavy competition starts. I’m troubled by reports of multi-month repair times, and of poor service experiences. I think competition will improve those as well.