Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Real world charging speed on 5-20 @ 110v

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Huh. Which shows that you got an answer from someone who didn't understand or didn't know what they were talking about. You can use the exact same wire, whether it's 120V or 240V.

THIS. Wire is the same. Just need a new double-pole breaker and switch the white wire to the second pole rather than neutral. In most places, electrical code would require labelling at the panel and at the outlet junction box to indicate that the white wire is hot.

Reactions: Rocky_H
As other have pointed out, it makes a lot more sense to consider the actual amount of energy you are putting into your pack over time rather than "miles per hour" of charge.

How much energy do you use per mile of driving? The answer to that question is the same as "how long is a piece of string?" Some guys drive aggressively, and use a lot more energy per mile of driving than other, really energy efficient drivers. This makes "miles per hour of charge" rather meaningless, even though Tesla uses it quite often.

So look at what the guys are saying in the previous posts that define how much energy you're actually putting into your pack per hour of charge using the various charging options.

Reactions: lUtriaNt
AFCF9CFC-04CC-41B6-99E7-62ACFE5BB830.png

I’m curious if I can draw more power from an outlet such as this. I think this thread is suggesting I would pull 1.8 kW, is this a nema 6-20 adapter? I am onfused but this plug type was at my hotel on summer vacation. I only had the regular adapter and pull 1 kw, which I was expecting, but doubling that could be worth the price of the adapter. Can someone set me straight in simple terms. Thanks in Advance

It's a NEMA 5-20; 20A at 120V (not 250V). You would get 16A (1920kW) instead of 12A (1440kW), so about 33% charge speed increase.
Although when you take fixed overhead into account, it ends up being more like a 50% speed increase in terms of actual charge getting into the battery. Do be aware that if there is ANYTHING else on the circuit, you'll be very close to tripping the breaker.

I’m curious if I can draw more power from an outlet such as this. I think this thread is suggesting I would pull 1.8 kW, is this a nema 6-20 adapter? I am onfused but this plug type was at my hotel on summer vacation. I only had the regular adapter and pull 1 kw, which I was expecting, but doubling that could be worth the price of the adapter. Can someone set me straight in simple terms. Thanks in Advance

Yes, the sideways "T" on the neutral side indicates it is a 5-20. So if you were to purchase the Tesla 5-20 adapter for your mobile connector, the car would draw 16 amps, rather than 12 amps - with correspondingly faster charging.

If it were a 6-20, which is a 240V receptacle, the slot on the right would be horizontal - rather than vertical.

Unless there are other outlets on the circuit, which there usually are.
I suppose in theory if the outlets are unused or only used with devices that would function fine on 240v, you could swap all of the outlets to 6-15/20s or remove them and install a blanking cover. The harder thing to work around is lighting since the NEC prohibits 240v lighting in residential spaces.

Yes, the sideways "T" on the neutral side indicates it is a 5-20. So if you were to purchase the Tesla 5-20 adapter for your mobile connector, the car would draw 16 amps, rather than 12 amps - with correspondingly faster charging.

If it were a 6-20, which is a 240V receptacle, the slot on the right would be horizontal - rather than vertical.
5-20 on a Model 3 and Y is good for about 7mph.

6-20 for about 15mph

5-20 on a Model 3 and Y is good for about 7mph.

Depends heavily on the exact model and year, of course (though charge rate will be the same for everything of course - just the mph will be different).

About ~200W overhead, ~100W of conversion losses, with about 1100W going to the battery, roughly. Which on most models is ~5 miles per hour or a bit more, but on the older ones with the largest miles is closer to 4.

Depends heavily on the exact model and year, of course (though charge rate will be the same for everything of course - just the mph will be different).

About ~200W overhead, ~100W of conversion losses, with about 1100W going to the battery, roughly. Which on most models is ~5 miles per hour or a bit more, but on the older ones with the largest miles is closer to 4.
Not sure how you figure 1100W going in from a 1920w power source if there's only 300w of overhead/losses.

My car reports 6-7 mph and that seems pretty consistent with what others get.

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
Not sure how you figure 1100W going in from a 1920w power source if there's only 300w of overhead/losses.

My car reports 6-7 mph and that seems pretty consistent with what others get.
Those were the 12A/120V numbers.

For the 5-20 it is:

~200W overhead
~150W losses

~1570W to the battery.

Which is as much as 7-8mph depending on the model, and can be as few as 6mph.