Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Real world efficiency (wall vs car)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Edmunds long range test of their 2017 Model 3 LR RWD has an average lifetime consumption (measured at wall) of 30.7 kWh/100 miles or 307 Wh/mi as of September 2019. Their in-car lifetime average is 242.5 Wh/mi. That equates to a 27% real world premium, which presumably accounts for losses from charging inefficiencies, preheating, Sentry mode, and other vampire drain.

Has anyone else measured this for their car? In particular, I’m curious to hear from anyone in the Pacific Northwest as I believe Edmunds’ vehicle is in Southern California. I appreciate that it will vary based on use of preheating, Sentry mode, etc. But I’m trying to get a ballpark estimate of how much electricity I’m actually using above and beyond what the car reports.

I posted this information recently. I collect data via a TED 5000 home energy monitor and guesstimates on the kWh consumed at Supercharger stations.

Model 3 showing wrong kWh consumption?

In the summer, I tend to consume about 20% higher than the trip meter reads. In the winter, ithat difference is closer to 40% higher. All the factors you mentioned contribute to that discrepancy.

We heavy-upped and installed a Leviton Smart Power Panel. The panel itself is standard but using new wireless smart breakers and a wireless hub. We can thus read the power that really travels through the breaker in the power panel to the Wall Charger. It displays dollar value based on your input rate but if you hover over it, it will display Kwh. For the Tesla charging breaker 285.42 since Jan. 1. Have had about a month and haven't calculated actually mileage versus actual electric power consumption yet. Below is a screenshot of the page that displays consumption by breaker (for those breakers that are smart breakers).
Screenshot_20200131-064739.png

Reactions: shontm