Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Real world M3 RWD (standard battery) Range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well since your current trip and since last charge are not in sync I am guessing you lost some to standby losses (preconditioning, battery warming, sentry mode?)

The only way you will see the full pack usage is going 100% to 0% in one trip. The parked losses don't show up in your trip usage. I guess that makes sense but I've always found it a bit odd and confusing.

On a range test in a 2022 M3P, which has the 82 kWh battery, the driver went 100% to 0% and his trip meter showed 75 kWh used. He then drove it past 0% for a while and was able to get to 79 kWh used before the car was pretty much completely dead. There's a small reserve and you will never get 100% of the battery either because of energy losses.

100% to 0% at your Wh/km of 215 you would probably get about 230 km or so in one trip if you stopped right at 0%

OK, sure. Yes, that would do it I guess. Yes, those three things you have listed took place, but still, shocking that they would amount to 20% in just 36 hrs and it was not -25C outside like in Alberta.

Dude.. just enjoy the car. stop being so anal.

This comment is so deep i could not resist replying. Thanks for your insights.

So I finally did a test. Drove the car like I've driven any of my ICE cars in the past. Some passing, some hard acceleration, 130-145 kmh on freeways, not concerned about the range at all, wanted to test it in real life situations, ie normal/spirited driving. This is what i got at around 0 C temps.

11% left with 185 kmh covered. That suggests a measly range of about 200 kmh. Ok terrible and yes, I am learning that driving a tesla might require ending of ALL the fun in order to maximize range, if one cares (though i have not tested that theory yet simply because i cannot resist the temptation to have fun... and duh.. drive like i always have been in all my ICE cars).

BUT here is the question. If I have burned 40kwh on a 60khw battery, with the usable power of 57.5 kwn, first of all, why doesn't the display show 33% left rather than 11%? That suggests that i had roughly 17 kwh left in the packs, which at my consumption would yield another 80 km or range or 265 km in total (acceptable winter range). The nav told me I will NOT make it home which was only 45 kmh away, and i would be at -7% battery at home, so... what gives? Such a HUGE difference suggests only one thing, that tesla builds in a TONNE of reserve range.... Is that true? Is it reasonable to assume that with the computer showing 0%, I would easily make it home by driving another 20 km? (again , home was 45 km away and math suggested 80 km left in the battery) OR am i mistaken about the hidden reserve range at zero and there is some incorrect, not very precise math/chemistry going on in the battery packs and I have indeed used a lot more than 40 Kwh in the 185 km covered?

Dying to know what gives... As it is, the math doesn't add up AT ALL!

View attachment 887746
Constant acceleration and deceleration will kill range. Driving at ~+9mph over the SL (I5, I8, I10), in ~15C average temp, from BC to SE AZ, I averaged 267whr/mile and this would go up to about 300whr/mile at steady 80-84mph driving on my 2022 M3 RWD.

This video might help: