Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Real World Mileage Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New X owner of a 2018 P100D with 22 inch wheel/tires. Have a trip (Literally Tomorrow) that is 115 miles one way that I am going just for a client meeting. My initial assumption was that my 287 miles that displayed on the dial would be pretty close if I drove the speed limit, giving me a slight buffer.

I’m reading a TON of different amount of disparity between the mileage showing vs. actual driven online.

What are you truly seeing? There is a supercharger for emergency that would add about an 50 minutes to my trip, but I really really am hoping that even in chill mode, with good weather, during the day with mild wind I will be able to get a true 230 miles.

Am I a nut for thinking this should be a possibility?

...22 inch wheel...

Bigger than standard wheel suffers 10-15% range reduction.

...230 miles...

Range is driving style dependent. You'll just have to learn how yours is.

In cold weather, I would say that you'll be fine for 115 miles.

Depending on how long do you let your battery cool down in cold weather after 115 miles, your range might also shrink some more while on the parking lot.

For 230 miles, 22" wheel, and cold weather? You must have very good driving style to make it without charging in between.

I should have noted that I won’t be near a charger (other than the Super Charger) that would add 40 min drive (plus charge time).

It's your call.

I would feel more comfortable for 115 miles x 2 in summer as although A/C does use up lots of energy but much less than heater does!

The problem with parking in the cold is your car can automatically turn on the heater for its battery and depletes your energy and you don't have any control over it.

I think if you park in 50F or above, automatic battery heater to deplete your energy will not be deployed.

Subfreezing parking is very unpredictable.

Since you have an option to detour to a Supercharger, why don't you make the decision to stop by it or not after you finish the parking at the destination and ready to drive back.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1375mlm
Is 50 degrees the number? Should be mid 40’s but sunny and clear. Parking in the SUN better? Totally new to the EV arena so all insight appreciated.

Ill definitely make the decision to hit the SC if we need to on the way back. About 10 minutes away is a HPWC at a winery, so was thinking I could also go to lunch there if needed for an hour to make sure I cross the threshold to make it home.

...Is 50 degrees the number?...

No. It's my made up number but the idea is there's a "cold" automatic battery heater activation. The colder the weather is, the more risk of automatic battery heater activation.

...HPWC at a winery, so was thinking I could also go to lunch there if needed for an hour to make sure I cross the threshold to make it home.

Great idea. As long you monitor your traveling miles and your battery gauge and react to the info accordingly, I think your lunch HPWC is a good plan and you'll make it fine.

Good luck!

Reactions: FlyinLow
New X owner of a 2018 P100D with 22 inch wheel/tires. Have a trip (Literally Tomorrow) that is 115 miles one way that I am going just for a client meeting. My initial assumption was that my 287 miles that displayed on the dial would be pretty close if I drove the speed limit, giving me a slight buffer.

I’m reading a TON of different amount of disparity between the mileage showing vs. actual driven online.

What are you truly seeing? There is a supercharger for emergency that would add about an 50 minutes to my trip, but I really really am hoping that even in chill mode, with good weather, during the day with mild wind I will be able to get a true 230 miles.

I have same car/setup as u on a90% charge driving 75..I can easily get ~210 miles ...I never use heater ...my car is in permanent ludi mode ...if I drove slower could easily do 230 ..it’s all in the driving style ;)

Reactions: 365gtb4 and 1375mlm

Maybe if you keep the speed under 60, under 50 would be better. But if you get there and have 60% left, you are probably okay. I would suggest setting the car to display energy, rather than guesstimated distance. It is much more accurate in this situation. If you get to the destination and you are at 50%... Well you know it is going to be tough to get home. BTW, running in Chill mode does NOT reduce energy consumption, driving slowly does.

Personally, I regularly drive a 120 mile (one way) trip in Indiana (very flat). I have never been able to make a round trip work, in my 100D with 20 inch wheels.

Reactions: jboy210 and KerryOH
Maybe if you keep the speed under 60, under 50 would be better. But if you get there and have 60% left, you are probably okay. I would suggest setting the car to display energy, rather than guesstimated distance. It is much more accurate in this situation. If you get to the destination and you are at 50%... Well you know it is going to be tough to get home. BTW, running in Chill mode does NOT reduce energy consumption, driving slowly does.

Personally, I regularly drive a 120 mile (one way) trip in Indiana (very flat). I have never been able to make a round trip work, in my 100D with 20 inch wheels.

Another way to get an estimate is to navigate to the destination. It will display the estimated remaining energy upon arrival. Other tools, like abetterrouteplanner.com may also useful. ABRP is nice because you can include the entire round trip. It also allows you to specify the speeds and weather as factors.

Also you said "new owner." How new? do you have a 48 or 72 amp charger on board? That might be a factor.

Is 50 degrees the number? Should be mid 40’s but sunny and clear. Parking in the SUN better? Totally new to the EV arena so all insight appreciated.

Ill definitely make the decision to hit the SC if we need to on the way back. About 10 minutes away is a HPWC at a winery, so was thinking I could also go to lunch there if needed for an hour to make sure I cross the threshold to make it home.
What was the production date on your car? I would make sure your car can take advantage of the hpwc as any newer (dec 2018 and newer) x even p100d will only have a 48a charger so will charge at a rate of 30 mph while any of the older ones can charge at 72a of 42 mph.

But either way I suppose if you stopped and got food and coffee for 1.5 hours you should be good... Just make sure you charge to 100 percent before you leave.

In 50f temps I can go 270 miles in x100d with 20"wheels but that's driving no faster than 65mph...if I drive even slower inI sure I could get 300+ miles but that would be driving at like 45 or 50 mph... But my round trip commute is 240 miles and I can make that trip no problems if I charge to 95 percent. Yesterday it was about 34f and 28f at night here and I was able to drive 240 miles... However I drove about 250 miles yesterday so has to stop and charge in between and beginning charge was 97 percent

Try EVTripPlanner or ABetterRoutePlanner.

When you enter the destination in the nav, expand the directions list to see the charge remaining for the round trip. That may take a setting enabled. Adjust your speed (and/or follow a truck at a safe distance) so that you maintain a 5% or better charge remaining for the round trip. The charge remaining at destination estimate uses actual data from the last 10-30 miles driven. It may change quite a bit at the start of the trip. But once you are underway it's your best estimate.

...never heard of the battery heater being turned on while the car was parked

That's what I thought and that's what I said and I was corrected:

Idle for long periods in the cold

arg said:↑
I'm not convinced that the pack heater ever turns on when simply parked (not charging).
Tam said: ↑
I agree. Main battery pack does not warm itself when the car is off on a parking lot.

That is flat out wrong. I learned the lesson the hard way. I parked the car one night while on a trip with about 45 miles range remaining. the SPC was about 20 miles away, I awoke with 18 miles of range and somehow I nursed the car to the SPC with the charge now light glowing. I called the tesla service number and was told that in cold conditions the battery pack WILL warm itself.
please don't offer advice if you really aren't 1000% sure it is valid

That's what I thought and that's what I said and I was corrected:

Idle for long periods in the cold

arg said:↑
I'm not convinced that the pack heater ever turns on when simply parked (not charging).
Tam said: ↑
I agree. Main battery pack does not warm itself when the car is off on a parking lot.

That is flat out wrong. I learned the lesson the hard way. I parked the car one night while on a trip with about 45 miles range remaining. the SPC was about 20 miles away, I awoke with 18 miles of range and somehow I nursed the car to the SPC with the charge now light glowing. I called the tesla service number and was told that in cold conditions the battery pack WILL warm itself.
please don't offer advice if you really aren't 1000% sure it is valid

Considering that Tesla service someone tells people that the range meter is based on driving history of wouldnt trust everything they tell someone.