Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Real World Model 3 UK Experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
HW3 (which all UK RHD cars now have) uses 250 watts per mile (source autonomy day video). Its always on whilst driving even if you are not using autopilot (its running in shadow mode all the time).

Dashcam is part of that.

I believe that dashcam and sentry require AP computer to be on. Thats apparently around 50-100W. So dashcam on a journey, probably negligible as AP computer is already running, but sentry when parked, when AP computer would otherwise be standby/off is an amount that may be noticed.

50-100W equates to 1.2kWh - 2.4kWh per day. Model 3 LR has around a 75kWh battery, so sentry could theoretically deplete battery in 1 - 2 months non use, less for a SR.

Last edited:
On battery and range. On longer trips, a mix of motorway miles at 75 mph, A roads and some city, all with AC on, not driving aggressively but not trying to maximize range either, I get about 80% of the claimed battery range (ie the range shown drops by 100 miles after an 80 mile trip). Don't have details for city driving, but my impression is it's significantly worse (of course not a real problem, since the trips are short).

Sentry mode is a big drain. It stops the computer going to sleep so the range drops about 1 mile per hour parked. I've switched it off. With it on the car lost 5-10 miles of range overnight. Off it's 0-1.

As other have said I'm sure dashcam is negligible since of course the computer is on.

• Funny
Reactions: AMC7
For me, FSD in the current state is certainly not good enough to be worth it - at least on UK roads. If I didn't have it I wouldn't miss it. I don't regret it though - I regard it as a bet that it will get good enough to be genuinely useful.

Fair enough,

Thinking about my vehicle use, I work from home and don't actually do many long trips (at least at the moment) so would I actually use FSD much? probably not.

This car will be my first new car for at least a decade (probably longer). My current 2004 Skoda diesel estate is on its last legs, but has been such a useful, reliable car I have never seen the point in updating (until now). I use it for all sorts, so its a bit of a tip/mobile skip. I don't want my M3 to become my tool carrier/DIY material getter, so am considering getting a cheap pickup to do that job.

It's kinda hit home that the £5800 spent on FSD will easily pay for a purchase, insurance and tax for something like a work pickup. (and probably then some..)

I got caught up in the hype. I punched the FSD button in May (especially after they warned the price will go up...). On reflection, I am going to remove it... It can be added later and the chances are that Teslas erratic pricing could mean it ends up cheaper down the road, who knows...

I was the same. Just kept thinking of all the cool things that it 'could' bring. But once I remembered that £5000 is a lot of money that could be used for more useful things right now I dropped it. So far haven't regretted it.
Fair enough,

Thinking about my vehicle use, I work from home and don't actually do many long trips (at least at the moment) so would I actually use FSD much? probably not.

This car will be my first new car for at least a decade (probably longer). My current 2004 Skoda diesel estate is on its last legs, but has been such a useful, reliable car I have never seen the point in updating (until now). I use it for all sorts, so its a bit of a tip/mobile skip. I don't want my M3 to become my tool carrier/DIY material getter, so am considering getting a cheap pickup to do that job.

It's kinda hit home that the £5800 spent on FSD will easily pay for a purchase, insurance and tax for something like a work pickup. (and probably then some..)

I got caught up in the hype. I punched the FSD button in May (especially after they warned the price will go up...). On reflection, I am going to remove it... It can be added later and the chances are that Teslas erratic pricing could mean it ends up cheaper down the road, who knows...

This car will be my first new car for at least a decade (probably longer). My current 2004 Skoda diesel estate is on its last legs, but has been such a useful, reliable car I have never seen the point in updating (until now). I use it for all sorts, so its a bit of a tip/mobile skip. I don't want my M3 to become my tool carrier/DIY material getter, so am considering getting a cheap pickup to do that job..

Similar thing to us, although an 07 Passat Estate. Thats been quite a workhorse for us and we will miss its carrying capabilities - the Model 3 is quite a lightweight in this respect. We have added a tow bar so if it really becomes a problem again, I can just hire a small trailer. Just bought a bike rack, wont miss trying to get my e-bike on the roof! Long gone are the days for us of having a different vehicle for different uses. My old Landrover was really a mobile shed.

I was the same. Just kept thinking of all the cool things that it 'could' bring. But once I remembered that £5000 is a lot of money that could be used for more useful things right now I dropped it. So far haven't regretted it.
£5000 goes a long way on a holiday too.

FOMO is what is making me indecisive about it, but everything I've read suggests that a) by the time it's actually worth the money I would be at the end of a lease period (and possibly a second one) and b) there is every chance that Tesla will do a firesale on it in the future. They will threaten price rises, and may even do it, but while it is so comparitively neutered in the UK they might find that strategy doesn't work.

I barely do any motorway driving, so I'd imagine FSD would be next to useless for me. But, I like toys, I've spent silly money on the latest Apple stuff that is eclipsed in pure performance terms by almost everything non-Apple. I couldn't tell you why I bought it, or why I'm still thinking about clicking that FSD option box.

One question that I'd like to know the answer to... reactions... positive? negative? indifferent?

For those getting less than the advertised range, are you using the aero wheels? I believe the range rating assumes you are using those wheels which supposedly can give you 10% more range than without using them. The rated range, I believe, also assumes 65mph cruising. Faster than that, and your range will be less. Slower and it will be more.

250 watts per mile in itself does not make any sense. 250 watt hours might, but as you say, thats a huge amount. iirc that its actually about 70watts, which equates to (quick schoolboy maths) about 1.2Wh per mile at 60 mph, which is a pretty small proportion of a typical 250Wh/mile overall power consumption.

You're right it doesn't make sense, but I think the context in which he was using that figure was for city driving with FSD in full action (for robotaxi mode) where he said 25% of the energy would be consumed by the FSD computer.

It appears, as you say, normal use is quoted at 72W

You're right it doesn't make sense, but I think the context in which he was using that figure was for city driving with FSD in full action (for robotaxi mode) where he said 25% of the energy would be consumed by the FSD computer.

I find that incredibly hard to believe. Considering you can run a high powered laptop for several hours on a tiny battery. Sounds like complete rubbish to me.

I'll go with the 70 W figure i.e. enough power to light up an old-fashioned lightbulb.

• Love
Reactions: Rooster6655
£5000 goes a long way on a holiday too.

FOMO is what is making me indecisive about it, but everything I've read suggests that a) by the time it's actually worth the money I would be at the end of a lease period (and possibly a second one) and b) there is every chance that Tesla will do a firesale on it in the future. They will threaten price rises, and may even do it, but while it is so comparitively neutered in the UK they might find that strategy doesn't work.

I barely do any motorway driving, so I'd imagine FSD would be next to useless for me. But, I like toys, I've spent silly money on the latest Apple stuff that is eclipsed in pure performance terms by almost everything non-Apple. I couldn't tell you why I bought it, or why I'm still thinking about clicking that FSD option box.

One question that I'd like to know the answer to... reactions... positive? negative? indifferent?

I was tempted with the £4900 price but glad I didn't bother now with all these price changes I would be pretty annoyed if they tried to increase the price on me.

I don't think increasing the price on the UK version is a good idea at all as the features in the UK don't offer anything worthwhile especially after watching videos of NOA in the UK that doesn't seem to be very good and restricted due to the EU regulations. With more price increases it will get to a point that only a small percentage will be purchasing it until something revolutionary is released ie actual city driving hands off

Reactions: Peteski
I didn't make it up, but they may have got it wrong

Do you know where in the 4 hours it states this?

I'm not doubting someone came up with that figure, it just seems utterly ridiculous! Even driving around city streets requires a power output in the order of tens of kiloWatts. Desktop computers on the other hand tend to consume maybe a couple of hundred Watts when running absolutely flat out. So I'm pretty confident that figure is either completely wrong or totally misleading at best.

Reactions: RjbT3