Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Real world model Y experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone,

I'm shamingly stealing this from a M3 post back in 2019 that made its way to the front page.

Couldn't see a thread with everyone's MY experiences and I know there's lots being delivered to the UK now. Mine is being delivered on 10/12 so my excitement is through the roof.

Anyone wanna have a crack at the questions below ive seen on a previous post? Maybe don't answer them all

What has delighted you?
What has disappointed you?
How are you managing with the range?
What are your favourite features?
What features annoy you the most?
What do you most miss about an ICE car?
What 2-3 small features would you suggest for inclusion in a future revision?
Autopilot/FSD thoughts?
Have you had to make changes to your normal driving habits?
Any major or minor issues with the car yet?
Anything those on the waiting list shouldn’t worry too much about?

Thanks in advance!

What has delighted you?
The EV experience
Software - keeps getting broken/fixed with the constant updates
Range is fine whatever your usage - don't worry - petrol stations are the devil - you dint need to visit.
Warming the car from the app, one pedal driving, no gear changing (even if you come from an auto) speed.
stupid software changes-
NOTHING
cant think, but there are probably a few..
Autopilot/FSD thoughts?
standard autopilot is very average - dont pay for an upgrade
only that i enjoy driving more - a bit like being 17 again
no
They are f@cking stupidly expensive....

What has delighted you?
The comfort and driving experience. One foot driving feels like a dream!
No USS
Not an issue so far as haven't done any long journeys but I could have done a 5h trip and decided to get train just because the car was so new and it was a long trip. I will do one soon though
I just love driving it. So far at least. We haven't really got in about everything yet. If pushed I would say the phone key!!
Lack of USS and cameras getting blocked - it's been very foggy and wet and our driveway is long and very dark so reversing out has been interesting.
Nothing yet.
A camera at front bumper for parking. Would negate the need for USS.
Autopilot/FSD thoughts?
Not used it. So far it doesn't really interest me but I will try it and may change my mind!
One foot driving!
Nothing major. Nothing minor really either (apart from full beams coming on when in a well lit area and lack of any USS/beeps when close to objects)
Fit and finish. Ours is perfect. Mrs McChimp is a perfectionist and she went over the car with a fine tooth comb and never saw any issues.

Reactions: Lord Farquad
What has delighted you?

So easy to drive and regen braking.

Initially AHB and Auto wipers but these have improved.

Not a problem so far

Watching Netflix or Youtube while waiting in the car.

Would like conventional wiper control stalk and sort out the dipped beam pattern, too, high on nearside.

Launch control, much more dramatic than in an EV.

Larger screen font, Matrix headlights that work and ability to set a charge end time.

Autopilot/FSD thoughts?

Its OK but still needs work.

Don’t have too visit petrol stations anymore as mostly charge at home.

No

Panel gaps and paint, it was perfect.

I’ll play. This is partly based on a 2019LR M3 to 2022LR MY experience .

What has delighted you?
- Much quieter than the ‘19 M3. Much more practical, quicker touchscreen, like the heated steering wheel at the moment.
- ride is a little firm, feels wide, easy to curb an alloy (my own fault of course)
- used to charge the M3 to 90% regularly as new to EVs, now I just keep the MY between 60-40% unless I have a long journey planned.
- remote heating from the app, music system sounds good
- AP and TACC, I feel less confident using these than with the wife’s Lexus
- I suppose the availability of petrol stations vs supercharging points, otherwise nothing about an ISE car itself
- built-in bean to cup coffee making machine for when FSD does all the driving 😉
Autopilot/FSD thoughts?
- cant see FSD working anytime soon, the craziness on the roads these days makes it a challenge for a human driver.
- AP should be better than it is on the motorway, and I think this is achievable
- when I drive the Lexus I have to remember to turn off the car engine afterwards and lock it 🤣
- had a bubble in the ppf, both sides replaced by ranger
- range, it can really go quite far if you’re not flooring it everywhere.

Reactions: Xdeanyy
What has delighted you?
Driving an EV.

The technology, the touchscreen, the audio

It’s great. 180 mile day is my longest and that took the battery from 90% to 30%

One pedal driving, the practicality/boot space, the handling for the relative size.

Poor UI, wasted screen real estate, ride quality sometimes, complete lack of features!

Not the ICE side, but having a fully featured car that embedded technology in everything and was not subject to cost cutting and excuses.

HUD, decent headlights, cooled seats. APPLE CARPLAY.

Autopilot/FSD thoughts?
Standard autopilot is worse than my 2019/2020 Land Rovers. Not sure that’s what I expected.

None. Except skipping fuel stops - big bonus.

No.

Ignore the fan boys. If Tesla removed the headlights and seats they’d find a way to justify it as futuristic and deride the ‘legacy’ manufacturers for not doing likewise.
Just make sure you test the competition. There are EVs out there that are vastly better in some ways - but the wait time might not suit you. Teslas are good cars, but they are no better or worse than the competition, on the whole. Just better at some stuff and worse at others.

• Disagree
Reactions: rsm287
What has delighted you?
Drving experience & getting into a warm car first thing on a winter morning.

Touch screen text too small to read and no option to make it bigger( I can read it with my reading glasses on but then I can't see the road properly) massive omission when everything is done through the screen. Lack of customisation

fine plug it in every night - scheduled to start when Octopus Go Faster tariff kicks in.

Heated steering wheel, remote preheating & the driving experience.

Lack of physical buttons & knobs for basic functions, touch screen text size and lack of customisation & desperately needs a head up display or extra screen above the steering wheel.

The sound of a great engine & the driver involvement.

Being able to adjust text size on the screen, a head up display, better cameras plus an additional one at the front & Amazon Music.

Autopilot/FSD thoughts?
Autopilot so far has been really good even in the rain on the motorway, FSD will never work on UK roads.

One foot driving - which is great and very easy to get used to, range planning as filling up is not as convenient and readly available as with an ICE car.

A slight vibration in the car and through the steering at speed, not being able to read the text on the screen verywell.

Getting used to an EV, it only takes a few miles and its second nature.

Touch screen text too small to read and no option to make it bigger( I can read it with my reading glasses on but then I can't see the road properly) massive omission when everything is done through the screen
THIS.
And it’s getting worse. The new consumption graph is absolutely illegible.

What has delighted you?
Speed, comfort and all round usability

Nothing really, its everything I expected and hoped for - maybe less Cowbell (I couldn't turn it off once I activated it)

Absolutely no issues, done plenty of long journeys and no range anxiety whatsoever

Preconditioning, watching Star Wars in the warm while waiting for people, all the fun features - some people state its just a gimmick however the silly features are what in my opinion make the car special - my wife drove it for the first time at the weekend and stated that it was a joyful car (she had it on Santa Mode)

The fact that it has Matrix headlights that don't do anything other than Auto High Beam

Nothing at all

Clearview rear mirror camera (like Range Rovers)
Some sort of smartphone integration
Being able to view saved clips on my phone

Autopilot/FSD thoughts?
Brilliant apart from one stretch on the A40 outside of Monmouth where it insists on trying to take me off at a junction every single time so I have to wrench the wheel to stop it.
Only positive ones as it is so relaxing to drive

Nothing whatsoever it (touch wood) has been faultless

The lack of a drivers display, I had worried it might be an issue, but it really isn't in fact I prefer it to a "normal display"

The lack of a drivers display, I had worried it might be an issue, but it really isn't in fact I prefer it to a "normal display"
+1 from me. On my old car I had to glance down to see speed. In the Y I glance sideways. The actual eye movement is the same in terms of distance, just a different way. The amount of time my eyes are away from the road is the same (or at least so minimal as to be unnoticeable)

Sure. First couple of trips I had to remember where to look but now it's second nature.

What has delighted you?

Stunning drive and complete simplicity. One pedal driving. All the family smile when we are in the car. The electric motor having instant torque and no gears is very special indeed. I hate driving my ICE now (when i have to). What a glass roof!

Pick up experience was underwhelming and the car was a little dirty inside. No ultrasonic's is a pain that i just can't get out of my head, especially as the wife was waiting for the bleeps when reversing the other day. I really hope this gets sorted adequately, as it could become a serious long term niggle.

Not done any long trips yet. Will be driving to Belgium over Christmas and then a few hundred miles over new year to watch some football. That will be the real test, although have charging stops planned out as long as there are chargers available.

I love the minimalist dash etc. My very old Citroen Picasso had a central speedometer so the one in the Tesla actually makes sense to me. I have no issues with the controls being on the touch screen. And what a touch screen! I had to get a rental car in france at the weekend and had no clue what all the steering stalks were all about. Much prefer this.

Pre heated every today before a quick drive. Loved that!

No Ultrasonics. I hope something is sorted when i drive to our holiday home in France where parking is a lot trickier. Its a bit crap not having a live efficiency read out (like the MPG read out on the ICE). But then, you have all the graphs etc which i suppose are more useful after driving.

Being able to get it dirty! Still have the ICE. It gets used for picking the boy up from Football (much to his dismay) and transporting the dog. Will probably keep for another 6 months and by then will be a little less bothered about the Tesla getting dirty.

App Store. Be good to have Amazon Music, Prime Video etc. Would be cool to fake car engine sounds.

Always wondered if it was worth doing a super eco mode to max out range. Chill is still bloody fast.

Autopilot/FSD thoughts?

Only played around with AP but seems easy enough (no FSD). Will try on the trip to Belgium.

Struggling to know what to do with my left foot. And i keep reaching for the hand brake. When parking for the first time the wife accidentally slammed on the brakes by accident as she mimicked going for the clutch.

One pedal driving is AWESOME!

If i was being picky, the blue is a little bland compared to the picture on the Tesla website!

Also, i am not 100% convinced by the phone key. Twice is hasn't locked automatically when we've left the vehicle. My old ICE has the same feature (keycard) and i never recall it letting us down.

Not for me to say, as everyone is different. However, the wife took to driving the car immediately which is something i wasn't expecting. Its very, very easy!

Reactions: boombap and Xdeanyy