Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Real World Powerwall test right now!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jboy210

Supporting Member
Dec 2, 2016
Northern California
We are having a real-world powerwall tests right now!

T-0
Grid is gone! Power is up. The app looks really strange. PWs are at 100%, Grid Xed out, home using 0.6 kW, solar producing 7.4kW sending all to the house. Hmm. UPSes on computers kicked in.

T + 30 seconds
Solar is shut down. UPSes shut down. Still online with world-wide conference. Still streaming our images, voice. and chat streams to the conference

T + 1:30 seconds - Power is back on. Solar sending 6 KW to grid rest to house. Conference continuing.

I love Solar and Powerwalls. They made this outage a complete non-event.

i am only laughing because after my numerous simulated outage exercises i am anxiosuly awaiting a decent actual power outage .. i know that sounds selfish and maybe horrible ..
but I will probably be as excited as you when it occurs
Ha Ha. It is sort of funny getting excited when the power goes out. But when you buy all this stuff and it works as expected in a real-world outage to keep you online it really is exciting! Especially when you are communicating with people all across the globe and they don't even lose one video frame!

I have said this in a few threads on topics around this, but.... a power outage lets us justify all the money we spent on this stuff. Even teslas own website shows a representation of what we want to happen:

Screen Shot 2021-08-06 at 2.05.58 PM.png

🤣 🤣 🤣

We are having a real-world powerwall tests right now!

T-0
Grid is gone! Power is up. The app looks really strange. PWs are at 100%, Grid Xed out, home using 0.6 kW, solar producing 7.4kW sending all to the house. Hmm. UPSes on computers kicked in.

T + 30 seconds
Solar is shut down. UPSes shut down. Still online with world-wide conference. Still streaming our images, voice. and chat streams to the conference

T + 1:30 seconds - Power is back on. Solar sending 6 KW to grid rest to house. Conference continuing.

I love Solar and Powerwalls. They made this outage a complete non-event.

Fire related?

I used to have an office in San Ramon. Now I'm in El Dorado Hills. Smoke came in here today too. Friend has home within a mile or so of the edge of the River fire. Keeping fingers crossed
Stay safe. These fires are unpredictable and fast.

This morning I did a 4 miles run/walk and could see from the Pleasanton ridge to the Altamont pass. A minute ago I went out to get the mail and just about passed out from the smoke, Visibility is under 1 mile.

Were you running off solar/batts when the power died? I find that if we are on grid and lose power there is a half second dim while the switchover occurs but all of my cable boxes and wifi drop and then take a few seconds to come back. No complaints really but If I was on a video call it would drop.

Were you running off solar/batts when the power died? I find that if we are on grid and lose power there is a half second dim while the switchover occurs but all of my cable boxes and wifi drop and then take a few seconds to come back. No complaints really but If I was on a video call it would drop.
This possibility of dropping a connection is why we have UPSes on computers and all of the networking gear (Cable model, router, switch) Our Wifi is from Access Points powered via POE from the switch, so if the switch has the power they work and we experience no dropped Wifi. In this case, we were using our desktop systems for the video conference, and all of those have UPSes. The UPSes were installed per the previous forum thread on ensuring that power stays up when the Powerwall walls fill up and the grid has failed, and Powerwall GW uses frequency shifting to shut down solar production. (Suggestion: That thread is really long. Maybe we should make the reasons for the UPS a separate pinned topic)

Last edited:
i am only laughing because after my numerous simulated outage exercises i am anxiosuly awaiting a decent actual power outage .. i know that sounds selfish and maybe horrible ..
but I will probably be as excited as you when it occurs
You need to move to Napa Valley. We have two or three power outages a week. Just had three with company here. As you said, wouldn't have known but for the blip and the app showing it was down.

• Love
Reactions: jboy210

I’ve got a UPS for our main bit of network gear. The router and main switch.

The Fios ONT has it’s own.

Everything else hasn’t had an issue as far as I know.

Charles.

Based on yours and other stories I decided to get a UPS for Tivo. Took forever to find one in stock. I guess a lot of people are buying them.
Yes, because I recommended it. :D

Hopefully your tv service hub doesn't go down when the grid or your sector does as then nothing helps unless you have satellite service. but then not sure if Tivo is compatible with sat TV