Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Real World Range Calculations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks to *AnOutsider* over here for finding the pics of Jurvetson's Founders #1. I figured that one aspect - real world range - will motivate enough discussion to start a new thread.

Here's the source pic:
IMG_05282.jpg

Now it appears from the acceleration spikes that Jurvetson has been enjoying his new car and probably showing off some (BTW, these spikes will look absolutely normal to Roadster owners!). However the average Wh/mile is still only 309, so on a simplistic level he has an 85kWh battery pack with 309Wh/mile which equals a range of 275 miles based on that style of driving. That would be an amazing range under those conditions.

P.S. The more technically gifted TMC-er's are invited to dissect these numbers in a more scientific manner.

It lookalike it says past 5 miles in he picture. Roadster has 5, 15 or 30 miles you can select from.

Right the whole graph is the last 5 miles (from what appears on the dash) but the dot and 75 on the right edge is the instantaneous Wh/mile, which is probably the energy usage over the last bit of distance. Which is why it is still displayed when the car is stopped.

I believe the terrain in the area that Jurvetson would be driving is probably relatively flat, so that may be a factor in the pretty good Wh/Mile number on his screen. It is nice to see a real world number that matches up with the 300 Wh/Mile figure that Tesla provided as a baseline.

I believe the terrain in the area that Jurvetson would be driving is probably relatively flat, so that may be a factor in the pretty good Wh/Mile number on his screen. It is nice to see a real world number that matches up with the 300 Wh/Mile figure that Tesla provided as a baseline.
Well, it isn't the alps but I would assume that since he's quite wealthy he would live in the hills above Menlo Park/Palo Alto, Woodside, Saratoga, Los Altos Hills, etc. There are some pretty steep hills back there (take Page Mill or Alpine Rd West from 280). All guessing on my part and I can't be bothered to try and figure out where he lives but I think this is good news on the real-world range front.

Assuming he's still on his first full charge here he's got 143 + 123 = 266mi on a charge. Again assuming he's been doing some serious test driving, than that is not bad at all!

Don't forget, Model S offers two driving modes; Standard or Range. If he is in Standard mode, then there is a 10% "reserve" that is not shown in the range calculation.