Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Real world range in layman's terms

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here is a video of Edinburgh to Bournemouth, it's with a LR but the extra distance they did offsets this easily.

Like others have said, I too always need to stop long before the car needs a charge. I quite like plugging the car in and then walking into the services, maybe I like a routine far too much!

Interestingly, I do often find myself chatting to new EV owners in their first few weeks of ownership - mostly they are worried about range. I've come to the conclusion it's just a different mindset needed, that top up just enough and get going again isn't something people generally do with ICE cars and so they struggle to adapt at first.

It will be so interesting one day to meet someone who has only ever driven an EV, then ask them to do a long roadtrip in an ICE car.

Reactions: Bouba
Yes, even my 2020 LR has achieved around 200Wh/m on some 50-60 mile journeys this week with a/c low & fan 2 or 3. One was 188Wh/m, another 193Wh/m on mostly quiet, twisty roads at 50-55mph.
Hmm, weird. In my p- on some quiet twisty roads last week, I think I was averaging about 600wh/m. Am I doing something wrong 😁? Possibly user error to be fair.

Yes, a bit of background warmth really helps. What is your journey pattern for those ranges i.e. road types and speeds and what was the longest single leg between charges? We are also finding great efficiency at the moment, 167Wh/mile (about 6 miles per kWh!) today, and that's with A/C on in a non-heatpump 2019 SR+ (but no motorway involved) and on a 100 mile journey with 3 stops for various purposes. We rarely do motorway trips but we have a couple coming up over the next few weeks so it will be interesting to compare... I'm not expecting anything like these numbers!
It was a mix of roads and the speeds varied between 70mph and town driving 30mph. I drove over to Reading and back, started from 100% and finished with 19%, covering 241 miles on that occasion.

Reactions: Adopado
It was a mix of roads and the speeds varied between 70mph and town driving 30mph. I drove over to Reading and back, started from 100% and finished with 19%, covering 241 miles on that occasion.
That is really exceptional in an SR+! It’s looking like a step forward has been made versus the earlier cars.

We just had a trip of 155 miles with 50% country A roads and 50% motorway and no need for AC to be on. We used 68% of the battery which gives an extrapolated range of 228* which for our 2019 car is as good as it gets. We benefited from some slow traffic on the motorway and on the country sections and the car and Abetterrouteplanner had predicted we would arrive with 14 to 18% which I think is probably accurate if we had been able to travel faster. At winter temperatures we even make a short Supercharger stop on that journey so that we can arrive with a reasonable amount of battery.

* The car gave a reading of just under 198Wh/mile that should have given an extrapolated range of about 252 miles if the battery had its original 50kWh available. The discrepancy can be either BMS inaccuracy and/or some degradation.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pauld999