Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Real world range in P100D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Indeed, lightly used....ours had 3Kkm and full spec except for no glass roof (missed the standard by one month). Currently 12kkm on the car

I find the new one to be far quieter (no engine noise on heavy acceleration)

Regarding range, on the road, freeway driving, we have been getting the full 475kkm range (my "lead foot" wife a bit less). We are off from Sydney to Adelaide next week and will report on range achieved.
What data do you have for us, Aussie Yank?

I drive a P100D and I find that I only ever really get the rated 480km-ish range when I'm averaging around 186kWh/km. Practically, I never get this figure unless ideal conditions (sub 90km/h cruising, warm day, no incline, driver only - no other passengers) are met. The odo's currently on 6600km and lifetime average energy usage is 235kWh/km. Never run it down obviously, but I estimate with my kind of driving a full charge will realistically last around 400-420km at best.

I drive a P100D and I find that I only ever really get the rated 480km-ish range when I'm averaging around 186kWh/km. Practically, I never get this figure unless ideal conditions (sub 90km/h cruising, warm day, no incline, driver only - no other passengers) are met. The odo's currently on 6600km and lifetime average energy usage is 235kWh/km. Never run it down obviously, but I estimate with my kind of driving a full charge will realistically last around 400-420km at best.
Rated range is at 80km/h on flat ground with no heat or air. That’s why I only ever talk in typical range, which is 200 Wh/km, and is pretty close most of the time.

My range started off poor then improved as driving the car became second nature, now sitting on a lifetime of 170wh/km, keep in mind it's generally warm, flat and dry on this side of the country plus I'm OCD on tyre pressures.

My range started off poor then improved as driving the car became second nature, now sitting on a lifetime of 170wh/km, keep in mind it's generally warm, flat and dry on this side of the country plus I'm OCD on tyre pressures.

That's impressive. I would never get that on the rolling hills of Sydney, 21" wheels also don't help. But that's okay, I've clearly made certain choices (otherwise it'd have been the 100D!)

I tend assume that the car will never go past 400km, which is a rule of thumb that's worked well for me on longer trips.

That's impressive. I would never get that on the rolling hills of Sydney, 21" wheels also don't help. But that's okay, I've clearly made certain choices (otherwise it'd have been the 100D!)

I tend assume that the car will never go past 400km, which is a rule of thumb that's worked well for me on longer trips.

400kms is plenty and as charging infrastructure improves less planning ahead is needed, if you wanted to go on a long outback trip like Richard Mc Anticlockwise Adventure! where the extra range is handy you could always borrow a set of 19s.

I can get 370km in my 75D, actual range.
If the P100D had the same efficiency it would get 493km.
Even with the slightly worse efficiency of the P model I’d expect about 480km real range (ie 100% —> tow truck).

I can get 370km in my 75D, actual range.
If the P100D had the same efficiency it would get 493km.
Even with the slightly worse efficiency of the P model I’d expect about 480km real range (ie 100% —> tow truck).

It's difficult to quantify the efficiency loss here. The P100D is nearly 200kg heavier than the 75D. While I have no evidence to support it, I think this difference would account more than just a handful of kms of efficiency difference. Anecdotally, when my car is seated with 4 bodies (+250kg), my Wh/km goes up from around 220->250. That's a > 10% decrease in efficiency.

I also have 21" performance wheels on mine, which takes out another 5% at best, and up to 10% at worst. Those wheels are very grippy (in a good way).

Then again, when all's said and done, I didn't buy the P model for range reasons...

Reactions: Tension
It's difficult to quantify the efficiency loss here. The P100D is nearly 200kg heavier than the 75D. While I have no evidence to support it, I think this difference would account more than just a handful of kms of efficiency difference. Anecdotally, when my car is seated with 4 bodies (+250kg), my Wh/km goes up from around 220->250. That's a > 10% decrease in efficiency.

I also have 21" performance wheels on mine, which takes out another 5% at best, and up to 10% at worst. Those wheels are very grippy (in a good way).

Then again, when all's said and done, I didn't buy the P model for range reasons...
Yeah, the P model is a beast. I test drove one a few months ago, fantastic car.

I was bored so did a few more calcs that you might find useful.

My range is on 21s too, at 115kph on freeways between Sydney/Newcastle/Canberra.
The P100D is 6% less efficient compared to the 100D, and taking the extra weight into account perhaps 10% less than the 75D.
So you should get 370 * 100/75 * 0.9 = 444km.

Apparently the 75 battery is really 72.6, and the 100 battery is really 102.
If that's true then your real range would be:
370 * 102/72.6 * 0.9 = 467km.

Ah, if only! A few months ago my dad did a trip from Sydney to Canberra, then on the return trip arrived at the Goulburn SC with - and I kid you not - 0kms on the battery (he freaked - I did warn him to charge on the way down just to be safe but nooope). Nobody else in the car.

This route is about 360km in Google Maps. Somehow, the car managed to exhaust its entire range in this distance despite setting off with a full charge. I understand winter and driving down the M31 at 110kph with high winds (+climate) would add up to a fairly drastic effect on range, but about 100kms of loss is pretty amazing.

Ah, if only! A few months ago my dad did a trip from Sydney to Canberra, then on the return trip arrived at the Goulburn SC with - and I kid you not - 0kms on the battery (he freaked - I did warn him to charge on the way down just to be safe but nooope). Nobody else in the car.

This route is about 360km in Google Maps. Somehow, the car managed to exhaust its entire range in this distance despite setting off with a full charge. I understand winter and driving down the M31 at 110kph with high winds (+climate) would add up to a fairly drastic effect on range, but about 100kms of loss is pretty amazing.
Crikey! Glad he didn’t get stranded.
Canberra is deceptive, because it’s pretty easy to do in a single run but then you find you’re an hours drive from the nearest supercharger. I think the elevation gain has an impact too.
Canberra supercharger due to open soon, will make it a bit easier.

Sydney to Canberra uses more range than the other way round, due to the elevation change. The decent starts from Goulburn...

• Helpful
Reactions: 100KWH
Sydney to Canberra uses more range than the other way round, due to the elevation change. The decent starts from Goulburn...

Oh! It's been so long since I've personally driven down to CBR, I had totally forgotten about this. I guess I'm reasonably inclined to believe that this would explain the range, coupled with all the other factors (high speed, high wind, cold, climate on etc.).

If its winter and you get some cold blasts of 20 knots/40kmh directly you it will be like driving 160kmh on the autobahn. Not surprised at all by this.

Maybe if EVs were the same price as ICE cars.
Don’t forget, for half the population a new Camry is unaffordable, let alone a six figure Tesla. And even the cheaper EVs are triple the price of an equivalent sized ICE car.