Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Real world range in P100D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've got a P85D that's coming up to 3 years old. I love the car but the real world touring range is slightly disappointing. Even with a full battery, a planned 340km journey (direct, no SC stops) out of Adelaide brings a warning to keep the speed below 100km/h. How much better is the P100D on range? I'm particularly interested to hear from those who have made the transition from P85D. Thanks in anticipation!

I've got a P85D that's coming up to 3 years old. I love the car but the real world touring range is slightly disappointing. Even with a full battery, a planned 340km journey (direct, no SC stops) out of Adelaide brings a warning to keep the speed below 100km/h. How much better is the P100D on range? I'm particularly interested to hear from those who have made the transition from P85D. Thanks in anticipation!

You are going from 253 rated miles to 315 so around 24.5 % better. Just remember with Ludicrous mode you can reduce the range of your P100D to that of an Model S 60 almost as soon as you find yourself giggling at that tiny dot that used to be a supercar in the rear view mirror...

• Funny
Reactions: Tozz
I traded in my P85D for the P100D in late August, 2017. My P85D was one of the first here, and at 2 years old had 40Km on it

range of P85D was 360Km
range of P100D is 480km Although it is faster, quieter, better, I really bought it for range. Leaving on a driving trip to Adelaide in a week, from Sydney....should be able to skip every other Supercharger. By the way, the delta cost was $65K for trade-in on floor model

I also have a founders series Roadster 2020 on order. Time will tell its range. Hoping for Sydney to Melbourne without charging in route.

I traded in my P85D for the P100D in late August, 2017. My P85D was one of the first here, and at 2 years old had 40Km on it

range of P85D was 360Km
range of P100D is 480km Although it is faster, quieter, better, I really bought it for range. Leaving on a driving trip to Adelaide in a week, from Sydney....should be able to skip every other Supercharger. By the way, the delta cost was $65K for trade-in on floor model

I also have a founders series Roadster 2020 on order. Time will tell its range. Hoping for Sydney to Melbourne without charging in route.

Thanks for that.

I’ve done 20,000 km in my fully loaded P85DL and when I asked last year, my changeover for a fully loaded P100D was more like $150K. :eek:

range of P85D was 360Km

That's a pretty good trade they must have given you for the P85D.

As you know I made the change from an identical P85D to yours a few months back. The new P100D Model S runs the same big wheels and it is left in "Ludicrous" permanently. On 100% charge the estimated range shows around 485km and 430km at the usual 90% charge. The car is mostly used by my wife around the suburbs with the occasional freeway run. I've never run it close to empty; but experience with my old P85D and my Model X P100D tells me real world range is likely to be in the low 400's. Use smaller wheels and power saving settings and you would probably get circa 450km's.

FWIW, the Model X is the equivalent of the old Yank Tank "gas guzzler". It uses significantly more energy than the Model S under the same conditions. Charged to 90% (ludicrous permanently engaged) the 90% range is 380km and at 100% the range is something like 425km.

Thanks for that.

I’ve done 20,000 km in my fully loaded P85DL and when I asked last year, my changeover for a fully loaded P100D was more like $150K. :eek:

That would have been before the new price drop and no doubt on a made to order new P100D with all the options. Go for a lightly used inventory vehicle and the delta is around $70k depending on the spec and mileage of the inventory car.

Indeed, lightly used....ours had 3Kkm and full spec except for no glass roof (missed the standard by one month). Currently 12kkm on the car

I find the new one to be far quieter (no engine noise on heavy acceleration)

Regarding range, on the road, freeway driving, we have been getting the full 475kkm range (my "lead foot" wife a bit less). We are off from Sydney to Adelaide next week and will report on range achieved.

That would have been before the new price drop and no doubt on a made to order new P100D with all the options. Go for a lightly used inventory vehicle and the delta is around $70k depending on the spec and mileage of the inventory car.

Today’s changeover to a used inventory car is $105K including on roads. I’ll leave it. I want a bigger change. I’ll either wait for an updated Model S or perhaps try something German with an engine. :eek:

Thanks everyone for your input. :)

Last edited:
Today’s changeover to a used inventory car is $105K including on roads. I’ll leave it. I want a bigger change. I’ll either wait for an updated Model S or perhaps try something German with an engine. :eek:

Thanks everyone for your input. :)

Not sure if you're joking (and I really hope you are), but please don't buy anything with an ICE; that's immoral given that you can afford a high-end EV, and the very well known and highly likely consequences to our one and only planet:

To the surprise of some scientists, the White House did not seek to prevent the release of the government’s National Climate Assessment, which is mandated by law. The report affirms that climate change is driven almost entirely by human action, warns of a worst-case scenario where seas could rise as high as eight feet by the year 2100, and details climate-related damage across the United States that is already unfolding as a result of an average global temperature increase of 1.8 degrees Fahrenheit since 1900.

Source:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...on-for-climate-change/?utm_term=.3f06f8f018bb

I cannot fathom why shaming is not more prevalent whenever someone drops Tesla MS or MX money on an old-style, GHG-dumping ICE vehicle, except in very limited, special use cases in which a Tesla will not prove adequate.

It's 2018 so I'll start: buying an ICE should have similar social shaming consequences as those that still buy fur coats have to endure:

Second, if range is the BIG issue for you, there's really nothing wrong with a 100D Model S, and you'll save thousands of dollars, not to mention how incredibly fast it is as well. We have a cruelty-free, vegan P100D and, frankly, the speed is too much to even remotely be able to use about 99% of the time.

Not sure if you're joking (and I really hope you are), but please don't buy anything with an ICE; that's immoral given that you can afford a high-end EV, and the very well known and highly likely consequences to our one and only planet:

Thanks for your heartfelt thoughts. I’m an EV fan but I’m a car guy first and I also like ICE cars and will continue to buy them. Sorry about that.

Hi mhh,

(tldr I know its hard but wait 1 more year)

I am sure you know that there is a lot of chatter about an upgrade coming soon as I believe you delayed upgrading last year already because of this.

My perspective, especially after JB's comments in the last earnings call that they have looked and are not planning one at this stage, is that an upgrade is more likely early next year, possibly announced as part of the Model Y announcement in H2 (maybe Q3). Given that the model 3 is using a new motor that seems to be less prone to overheat and is significantly more efficient than the S/X motor this seems inevitable. I think it will be early next year as they seem to still have good demand for the current version and they are more likely to time the update to the loss/reduction of the tax rebate in the US.

I guess you have seen the recent track day of the model 3 and I will be interested to see if he tries again with regen on (as well as upgraded breaks) and see if it still doesn't overheat. Model 3 Track Day: Laguna Seca.

Here is some reasons why the new motor is better than the current S/X Tesla Model 3 Motor — Everything I've Been Able To Learn About It (Welcome To The Machine) | CleanTechnica. It seems the roadster also did not overheat during the reveal unlike the reveals for the S/X where they had lots of issues.

Lastly it seems Porsche/Jaguar are targeting track performance as an advantage but I think Tesla will respond with S/X, P model 3 and obviously they already have with the Roadster 2. Hopefully Tesla can get (or has already) some good suspension/break engineers with track experience. Maybe the performance model 3 will provide some clues late this year.

Hi mhh,

(tldr I know its hard but wait 1 more year)

I am sure you know that there is a lot of chatter about an upgrade coming soon as I believe you delayed upgrading last year already because of this.

My perspective, especially after JB's comments in the last earnings call that they have looked and are not planning one at this stage, is that an upgrade is more likely early next year, possibly announced as part of the Model Y announcement in H2 (maybe Q3). Given that the model 3 is using a new motor that seems to be less prone to overheat and is significantly more efficient than the S/X motor this seems inevitable. I think it will be early next year as they seem to still have good demand for the current version and they are more likely to time the update to the loss/reduction of the tax rebate in the US.

I guess you have seen the recent track day of the model 3 and I will be interested to see if he tries again with regen on (as well as upgraded breaks) and see if it still doesn't overheat. Model 3 Track Day: Laguna Seca.

Here is some reasons why the new motor is better than the current S/X Tesla Model 3 Motor — Everything I've Been Able To Learn About It (Welcome To The Machine) | CleanTechnica. It seems the roadster also did not overheat during the reveal unlike the reveals for the S/X where they had lots of issues.

Lastly it seems Porsche/Jaguar are targeting track performance as an advantage but I think Tesla will respond with S/X, P model 3 and obviously they already have with the Roadster 2. Hopefully Tesla can get (or has already) some good suspension/break engineers with track experience. Maybe the performance model 3 will provide some clues late this year.

After the article in electrek pointing to a full refresh in 2021, would you still wait until next year?