Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Real world range is possible :-O

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I found the standard regen breaking way too sharp, as I stopped waaaay short of the T-junction so that got put thraight to 'low' again

Stick with it! It's like if you've ever tried to brake with your left foot ... very odd ... you just haven't fully adapted yet. Even at the higher setting (Standard) the regen is as gentle as you make it. You feather oh so gently back on the pedal. Initial adapting comes fairly quickly but it may take a little longer to get the finesse that allows you fully exploit the delights of brakeless braking! We have driven for years just lifting straight off the accelerator so it's ingrained. (Actually it's a bit like on a motorbike because the relative amount of engine braking gives a similar effect ... nobody just lets go of the throttle on a bike, you actively roll it back either slow or fast.)

You cant't get that it from the car can you? did you just use Maths or Teslafi?
Average speeds are always lower than you think. I do a regular journey on quiet A roads early in the morning and can manage 50mph average on a good day. it does not take many 30mph villages the odd lorry and a few junctions to bring the average right down
From TeslaFi

At the other extreme. Family holiday with 4 in car, every inch of storage full of clothes, paddle boards, bike helmets... and 3 bikes on the tow bar in a SR+. I achieved 395wh/mile with an average speed on 60mph!

What amazed me is the car predicted this! I had driven 2 miles with the car loaded up to drop something at a friend before this journey. I had the trip graph up under the energy window open and we pretty closely matched the predicated line. How did it know? All I can assume is it a)new I had a 'trailer' as the lights are plugged in and b) calculated the weight based on the motor torque compared to the cars acceleration.

So on one hand I was amazed on the accurate prediction. On the other hand realise long journeys with a bike rack on an SR+ will be short!

upload_2020-9-11_13-32-43.png

I don't think you will. But have you seen where Alton Towers is? There won't be a lot of 70mph done on the roads around there!

You’re joking right? It was predominantly 70 for 100 of the 125 miles.

But In all seriousness my long range barely goes over 230w/m. Today I drove like a “tool” on the way back from the city and still couldn’t get it under 250 again with the heated seats on.

It seems way more efficient than I was expecting from all the reading I’ve done.

Hmmm my 2019 M3P does 310Wh/mi in summer, and is doing 355Wh/mi now in mid December. At a constant 70mph cruise. Scratches head.

If I could do 200 miles between 20-80% charge that would be amazing. Even 200miles starting from 100% and running to 20% but I'm getting more like 130 miles in winter doing that.

Tyre pressures all good and no brakes binding. I'm wondering how much of a difference having N spec (Porsche spec) rather than T0 spec PS4 tyres makes? I'd be shocked if it's that.

Last edited:
Hmmm my 2019 M3P does 310Wh/mi in summer, and is doing 355Wh/mi now in mid December. At a constant 70mph cruise. Scratches head.

If I could do 200 miles between 20-80% charge that would be amazing. Even 200miles starting from 100% and running to 20% but I'm getting more like 130 miles in winter doing that.

Tyre pressures all good and no brakes binding. I'm wondering how much of a difference having N spec (Porsche spec) rather than T0 spec PS4 tyres makes? I'd be shocked if it's that.
if 100-20 i.e 80% takes you 130 miles@355wh/mile that gives you a usable battery capacity of 57.8kwh. If memory serves the 2019 had about a 71kwh usable from new which would give you 81% of original capacity. Seems low.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
The car says 85% battery health. I do the same 250mile (each way) drive most weekends. From 100% charge it automatically takes me to the same Supercharger 130 miles away every time. I guess battery percentage varies depending on efficiency of that day but not uncommon for me to be at 20% (at the moment, I guess in summer it would have been more).

The next charger on my route would be 200miles, so that's a big leap, but if I could make that, I could do 100>20% there, top up for the 50+50 so short stop on my way, then one stop on my way home in the same place up to 90% charge and arrive home with ~10%.

I've worked out I either need to be able to do 255Wh/mile on my current battery, or have a 92.3kWh (usable battery) allowing for 10% degredation and 80% useable

Reactions: Mark89052
If a 2021 Model 3, heat pump equipped car, on Tesla spec T0 tyres can achieve 317 Wh/mile (200/(82.5*0.9*0.8)) real world at 70mph cruise, then I can just upgrade to a slightly newer version of the car I know and love.. hence why I was reading this thread, but that needs to be in UK winter.