Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Realist isn't happy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In that article I basically said that the Roadster provides almost unmatched driving pleasure at lower speeds. But that pictures changes when you go above 130 km/h.

I also wrote that the car is not really a sportscar because of its clumsy handling and limited range. After all I liked it, because it did make sense in an urban environment. It was fun to drive. It was not really an alternative to a real Lotus. Nevertheless: This was the first electric car you actually wanted to buy.

The Model S is very different and clearly beyond the “we build an electric car in our shed” approach.
But it will not change the world. No matter how nice it is to drive.

To my eyes electric power is a very valuable asset. People are transported with electric power every day, by train, railway, even buses. And most of them don’t use batteries.
Driving around with a 500kg battery which is clearly not sustainable and uses resources on its own just to store the energy is idiotic and only a shortsighted fool believes that you are going to change the world in a positive way just by driving such an electric car. I know that an electric engine is so much more efficient than a combustion engine but that point really doesn’t matter if you have to add nuclear power to the grid in order to provide enough electric power. Even solar and wind power is a double edged sword. Go to the south of spain and you see green pastures been completely destroyed by loud and ugly wind turbines. The spanish government has stopped all subsidies for that sector.

I could go on, but I stop here.

And no, I am not jealous.

Driving around with a 500kg battery which is clearly not sustainable and uses resources on its own just to store the energy is idiotic and only a shortsighted fool believes that you are going to change the world in a positive way just by driving such an electric car. I know that an electric engine is so much more efficient than a combustion engine but that point really doesn’t matter if you have to add nuclear power to the grid in order to provide enough electric power. Even solar and wind power is a double edged sword. Go to the south of spain and you see green pastures been completely destroyed by loud and ugly wind turbines.

Just want to make sure I understood you here. So..

• Battery cars not good.
  • Combustion engines worse.
  • Nuclear power bad.
  • Solar power bad.
  • Wind power ugly.
How do you feel about bicycles?

Just want to make sure I understood you here. So..

• Battery cars not good.
  • Combustion engines worse.
  • Nuclear power bad.
  • Solar power bad.
  • Wind power ugly.
How do you feel about bicycles?

Is that the american way?

Largest battery, largest screen, biggest engine, biggest trunk, 7 seats and look: This is the greatest car ever made AND you save the planet.

Until the Model X arrives of course. And even with this 3tons gullwing AWD monster car you will do no harm to the environment because it is purely electric.

Largest battery, largest screen, biggest engine, biggest trunk, 7 seats and look: This is the greatest car ever made AND you save the planet.

Until the Model X arrives of course. And even with this 3tons gullwing AWD monster car you will do no harm to the environment because it is purely electric.

Actually, the American way includes bright minds and engineers from a multitude of origins. Wether natively grown or from other countries, we have been leaders in industry and technology. Although this is not a perfect vehicle, I can honestly say that's it's hit a homerun out of the ballpark. I'm happily leaving my "boring" BMW behind for an exciting model S that currently has no competition in its class, and the $15k a year I'll be saving in gas consumption has me SO Excited that I haven't been bored since I've test driven it. I may not be saving the world with this purchase, but that was already done in the 1940s by American, British, and Canadian heroes. Do you recall?

Cupholders. Don't forget massive numbers of cupholders. Because Americans must have lots of cupholders, right? Since you're painting such a shallow picture with such a broad brush, might as well go for the gold. That's why I'm waiting for the X. I want cupholders. Because I'm shallow that way and couldn't possibly need the X for towing/hauling/AWD reasons.

Actually, the American way includes bright minds and engineers from a multitude of origins. Wether natively grown or from other countries, we have been leaders in industry and technology. Although this is not a perfect vehicle, I can honestly say that's it's hit a homerun out of the ballpark. I'm happily leaving my "boring" BMW behind for an exciting model S that currently has no competition in its class, and the $15k a year I'll be saving in gas consumption has me SO Excited that I haven't been bored since I've test driven it. I may not be saving the world with this purchase, but that was already done in the 1940s by American, British, and Canadian heroes. Do you recall?

Great post.

And I would add, if my buying this large battery, big screen, big engine (where is it, I haven't found that engine, can someone point it out to me?), huge storage space car that looks beautiful and drives like a dream and puts my 525i and friends' X series BMWs to shame, and doesn't require gasoline helps pave the way in a very small way (but cumulatively in a very large way with tens of thousands of people buying the MS ) for Tesla to roll out the Gen III with a smaller battery, smaller and lighter frame, room for 5 instead of (gasp!) 7, and a much smaller price tag so hundreds of thousands of people can drive this car instead of their current gas guzzlers, then yes, I guess the "American" way is pretty much superior to anyone else's current approach, although I wouldn't go as far as to say it is saving the world.

Are you suggesting that Tesla should be emulating BMW's approach to innovation, whatever that is, that is if you can actually call the i3 innovative? You aren't going to win many followers touting any superiority of the i3 anywhere.

Last edited:

Few Model S owners have any illusions about saving the planet. I was attracted to the look, feel and technology in the Model S, along with the fuel economy and maintenance cost. (I've come to the Model S from an Audi S6.) Recently, I turned over 8,000 miles, and I computed that I've spent a total of $360 in electricity to go that distance. Maintenance cost was zero. Granted, it's an expensive car, but saving $4,000-$5,000 per year in operating costs is hard to ignore. And by the way, my Model S is faster (0-60) than the S6 was.

My daily driver is a Lotus Evora. Just like most of you, I have no intention to save the world.

I have driven this car für 2 years now with 65.000km on it, including various track events and countless Autobahn blasts. The highest speed I have done is 279 km/h.

It took my 3 hours to go from Munich to Frankfurt last week, and I drove from Paris to Munich in under 6 hours. I could never ever do that in an electric car. But covering large distances is important für me.

If I buy a second car only for town or short distances a BMW i3 would make sense. But I would have to sell the Lotus than, so that is no choice.

I could finance a Model S but it's actually way too big for my garage and long distances are a complete mess in this car. Even with superchargers this situation will not change. Waiting 40 minutes to charge 300km range at best is unacceptable.

This car cannot offer you unlimited individual mobility. But isn't that the Basic essence of every car? I could take the train and reach every destination in Europe much faster than in a Model S. The ICE goes from Munich to Berlin in 2,5 hours.

I do use a bicycle quite often though. :)

My daily driver is a Lotus Evora. ...

Your driving habits would make a Model S a very poor fit for you. I certainly understand why it wouldn't work for you.

The success of the Model S and other cars is not based on it working well for everyone. It is based on it working well for enough people to make profit for the manufacturer.
So, just how typical do you think it is for people to want to drive as far and fast as you do?

I do use a bicycle quite often though. :)
I'm still waiting for an answer to NigelM's comment you quoted.

If you're going to quote someone and reply to that quote, you might want to actually respond to the portion you quoted. Otherwise, your posts become like the lower quality Family Guy cut-aways which generally don't provide much forum value.

At least you've partly hinted that you consider bicycles acceptable, so you're beginning to address what NigelM said. Progress!