Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Realistic Mileage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We know the M3 should be able to achieve 215 miles -- but I'm assuming the number they give you is under optimal conditions.

1) If you have 3 or 4 people in the car, in cold conditions what can you realistically expect to get? 80% of the advertised mileage? 70%? Less?

2) Also, how much do you lose in a day from idle time? For instance (assuming 215 mile range), if I drive 60 miles to a destination, stay a couple nights without charging, and return home another 60 miles -- will I be cutting it very close on range?

3) while the supercharger network is being built out, are there alternatives to get another 25-50 miles out of your tesla in an emergency situation? a portable charger of some sort maybe?

Thanks!

• Love
Reactions: ZAKEEUS
Nobody knows dude. The car isn't out yet. You'll get a lot of semi-educated guesses but for a real answer, try back in two years.
As frustrating as this reply might be, it is probably the most accurate you will get at this point. Just chalk it up as one of the other unknowns that will just have to wait the passage of time before we get an accurate read on it.

Dan

Reactions: Tree95
I don't think he is asking for specifics on the 3... I think what he wants to know is the variance with the Roadster, the S, and the X between EPA range and "real world" range. Is the Tesla web page "speed vs range" animated calculator accurate? If so he can answer his own question there :)

Keith

Reactions: flamingoezz
if people can estimate the dimensions of the car based on guessing the wheel sizes, I'd think they could use real life experience with the model S or X to estimate how much they lose in cold temps or parking overnight. I realize its not apples to apples, but its at least tesla to tesla and percentages are probably similar.

if people can estimate the dimensions of the car based on guessing the wheel sizes, I'd think they could use real life experience with the model S or X to estimate how much they lose in cold temps or parking overnight. I realize its not apples to apples, but its at least tesla to tesla and percentages are probably similar.
Well the size comparison has already been done and as 182RG pointed out there is plenty of S/X info in those sections, so again... Search.

Sounds like you'll be satisfied with garbage answers instead of waiting for facts. Ok, fine. But you're asking people for more BS guesstimations when there's way too much of that going on already.

I don't think he is asking for specifics on the 3... I think what he wants to know is the variance with the Roadster, the S, and the X between EPA range and "real world" range. Is the Tesla web page "speed vs range" animated calculator accurate? If so he can answer his own question there :)

Keith
I don't see how you get that... He's asking the question in the Model 3 forum so he's either asking about the 3 specifically or he's lost lol.

Sounds like you'll be satisfied with garbage answers instead of waiting for facts. Ok, fine. But you're asking people for more BS guesstimations when there's way too much of that going on already.

If you look around, there are many here on the model 3 forum who own model S or X. I'm simply trying to get an idea on possible range based on what we know about other teslas. There is a long time to go til we see these things on the road, so im just passing time with something we can probably speculate on with some (albeit limited) accuracy based on previous tesla battery performance.

I see topics all over the place with calculations involving battery sizes, drag coefficients, etc so there are obviously some pretty smart and similarly excited people on the forum. If you want to be a debbie downer and limit topics the facts we KNOW to be true on this forum, we'd have about 20 threads on the M3 -- sounds pretty boring to me.

Unless your 60 mile trip involves a lot of stop and go traffic, the weight shouldn't have a huge impact on the consumption once you reach a highway speed or another constant speed that you will be travelling at. And the slower you speed. The more range you get out of the rated range. As for the weather... You could preheat the car and use heated seats and steering wheel to save energy.

There are so many things different with the Model 3 that a Model S or X comparision wouldn't be accurate.
  • The new lower drag coefficient
  • Lower mass
  • Increase volume in battery cells (this might behave differently in the cold and might also be harder to keep cool)
  • Newly designed HVAC system (which will certainly affect range good or bad).
Elon has been pretty adamant about a real world 200 mile range.

200 miles is minimum threshold for an electric car. We need 200+ miles in real world. Not 200 miles in ‘AC off, driving on flat road’ mode.
...Anything below 200 miles isn’t passing grade. Most people looking for 20% more than that.

• Informative
The answers to your questions can be found on TMC in Model S discussions going back years. The basi9c principles are the same.
We know the M3 should be able to achieve 215 miles -- but I'm assuming the number they give you is under optimal conditions.

1) If you have 3 or 4 people in the car, in cold conditions what can you realistically expect to get? 80% of the advertised mileage? 70%? Less?

2) Also, how much do you lose in a day from idle time? For instance (assuming 215 mile range), if I drive 60 miles to a destination, stay a couple nights without charging, and return home another 60 miles -- will I be cutting it very close on range?

3) while the supercharger network is being built out, are there alternatives to get another 25-50 miles out of your tesla in an emergency situation? a portable charger of some sort maybe?
A portable charger is an impractical idea. You should never try to do a trip that requires driving the car down to close to zero miles of range. Use the onboard nav software to plan your trip or use evtriplanner.com .

• Helpful
While I can't speak to numbers regarding "garbage threads" on here....

one only has to look and see how many "ZOMG! TEH SOOPERCHARGEZ AIN'T FREE" threads that came out last week to understand where people are coming from.

Everyone wants to be the first to tell us about things we're all watching closely (ie anything Elon says or tweets) anyway.

the signal-to-noise ratio on the boards are not in our favor these days.

Reactions: Tree95 and Tiberius
Threads, not posts. And they've doubled in the last couple months and most of them are just like this.

And there's a big difference between asking the same few questions a hundred times in different words vs. speculation.

Attachments

• image.gif
    image.gif
    4.8 MB · Views: 89
Reactions: Tree95
Theres really no defense of adding even more inaccurate fluff to this section in the name of keeping yourself entertained. At this rate there'll be 3,000 posts in this section in a few months but only 50 good ones.

You're asking people to put together an assumption that you can easily do yourself. The only thing worse than making up BS is lazily asking for it.

Am I asleep in a shareholders meeting and just dreaming that I am on the internet?

Nope, actually on the internet... if you get bent out of shape by people using internet forums "in the name of keeping yourself entertained" how have you survived to adulthood? Did you not have internet access until just recently? Are you a lapsed Mennonite or formerly Amish?

If you want facts, buy a bunch of Tesla stock and go to every shareholders meeting. If you want fun entertaining speculation go to an internet forum. Don't confuse the two and get bent out of shape with the people who are doing the correct thing in the correct place.

Keith

1)
2)
3)
Thanks!

All of us who will be "new" Tesla drivers have a lot of questions like yours. Me too!

I read a lot about the Model S in older threads from 2012/13 , to get a feeling of range and other things you have to know if you never had an EV before. Lot of new Tesla drivers at the beginning of the MS had similar questions as we do now.
Range etc. of our M3 will be about similar to the first Model S60 I expect.

Am I asleep in a shareholders meeting and just dreaming that I am on the internet?

Nope, actually on the internet... if you get bent out of shape by people using internet forums "in the name of keeping yourself entertained" how have you survived to adulthood? Did you not have internet access until just recently? Are you a lapsed Mennonite or formerly Amish?

If you want facts, buy a bunch of Tesla stock and go to every shareholders meeting. If you want fun entertaining speculation go to an internet forum. Don't confuse the two and get bent out of shape with the people who are doing the correct thing in the correct place.

Keith

Have to agree with you on this. Some people are so uptight. If you dont like a topic or whatever just move on to the next one, or just stay off the forum. I've participated in many forums over the years and there have been plenty where i just got fed up with the same discussions over and over and i left for a while. I would suggest to the people that are fed up already (still a 18+ months to go folks) to leave and come back closer to launch. Or come back when something major happens (part 2 of reveal etc...). Attacking people or putting people down just makes you look like a clown, not the person asking an innocent question.

Have to agree with you on this. Some people are so uptight. If you dont like a topic or whatever just move on to the next one, or just stay off the forum. I've participated in many forums over the years and there have been plenty where i just got fed up with the same discussions over and over and i left for a while. I would suggest to the people that are fed up already (still a 18+ months to go folks) to leave and come back closer to launch. Or come back when something major happens (part 2 of reveal etc...). Attacking people or putting people down just makes you look like a clown, not the person asking an innocent question.

It's actually ironic to hear people complaining about how the internet and forums work.

If they had combined their own knowledge of the internet and forums, and used the search function, we'd be spared threads 30-75 regarding supercharging. or range. or dimensions. or any other variation that just won't die.

I'm not saying to not come on here and contribute, but I'm saying that if you spend as much time searching for your answer as you did typing your question...you'd save us all a lot of time.

Respond inline to the existing threads, read the existing thread. Don't start the 75th thread on the same subject. THAT'S what the complaints are about today.

Reactions: Tree95 and Tiberius
It's actually ironic to hear people complaining about how the internet and forums work.

If they had combined their own knowledge of the internet and forums, and used the search function, we'd be spared threads 30-75 regarding supercharging. or range. or dimensions. or any other variation that just won't die.

I'm not saying to not come on here and contribute, but I'm saying that if you spend as much time searching for your answer as you did typing your question...you'd save us all a lot of time.

Respond inline to the existing threads, read the existing thread. Don't start the 75th thread on the same subject. THAT'S what the complaints are about today.

yes i know - AND - i agree with you on the premise. It's the ideal situation, however it's always the same on every forum that i have ever used (could i be more obnoxious with my use of italics?) and there is just no way to stop it. I don't know if you like tech stuff or whatever, but the XDA community is usually pretty good at just ignoring issues like this away. The mods are also pretty good to keep things tidy. It's a tough job and mostly thankless. The best way is just to ignore stuff you don't care about and move along.

Thanks!

I'll try to answer with a semi-educated guess based upon my experience with about 31k miles on the Model S and several road trips:

1. In those conditions, I'd estimate about 70-75% of 215 miles, so that works out to about 150-160 miles.
2. I lose about 1 mile every 3-4 hours from vampire drain so using my above estimate let's say that 60 miles actually uses 85 rated miles for a round trip of 170 rated miles. That leaves you about 45 rated miles which is probably about a week of vampire drain assuming you don't drive around at your destination.
3. There are plenty of other slower charging options. For example, I've used a 110v outlet to get a like 3 miles/hour charge while staying at a relative's house for a couple days.

Hope that helps! YMMV, literally.

Last edited: