Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Realistic price estimate - UK version.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Peeps,

Following the UK governments amazing move next year to charge road tax on every car over costing over £40,000 built from 2017, what do you think the chances are that I can get an AWD version delivered for less than £40K? I really begrudge paying more tax on my zero emission car, than my Wife will on her 226Gram/km petrol 2004 2.5 litre Nissan 4x4.

TIA

I have the same worry.

Elon has stated that the base model will be £30K here, can't recall where but he did explicitly state UK base price at some point. Now that leaves 10k for options. One thing I can say is we cannot count on the government subsidy for zero emission cars to be in effect till 2018 so I have not taken that into account.

My priorities - highest is AWD, followed by larger battery and Sub Zero package. Anything else will depend on whether or not we cross 40k threshold.

As you say, it will not make sense to pay higher (than average) road tax on a zero emission vehicle, simply does not make sense. I can understand the thought process gone into this 40k threshold i.e. you would not want to exclude very high priced EVs from road tax but the threshold is too low.

Last edited:
Reactions: nexsuperne101
@Jayc , I think we have similar requirements.
I live out in the sticks, so AWD, bigger battery and sub zero would be very useful here, especially as many of the roads don't get salt gritted, and the nearest Tesla SC is 50 miles away.
Only time will tell just what will cost how much.
I have also written off any chance of an eco grant by 2018.

Reactions: Jayc
Just like with the Model S and Model X a Tesla with all of the options more than doubles the price of the car. I got a Model X in February The base price was US$83k by the time I added options it came to US$151k. Then I have to pay US$9k in sales tax which brings the total to US$160. This didn't included service and extended warranty package of over US$10k making it US$170k.

Therefore a $35k Tesla with options, delivery and taxes could be US$75-$80k. Then if you want the maintenance program and extended warranty add another. US$10k for a total of US$90k.

My car money pot is fairly limited on purpose - so I'm not worried about adding too many options. AWD and a slightly bigger battery however I would want.

For the UK specifically, which is what thread is about, the main worry is that US prices don't translate at currency exchange rate so the base M3 will cost £30,000 here which translates to around $44k USD. Add-in AWD and bigger battery and it could easily hit £40,000 which is almost $60k and at that price, we will also end up paying a road tax surcharge.

My car money pot is fairly limited on purpose - so I'm not worried about adding too many options. AWD and a slightly bigger battery however I would want.

For the UK specifically, which is what thread is about, the main worry is that US prices don't translate at currency exchange rate so the base M3 will cost £30,000 here which translates to around $44k USD. Add-in AWD and bigger battery and it could easily hit £40,000 which is almost $60k and at that price, we will also end up paying a road tax surcharge.

The OP just asked about AWD. My guess is that will come in under £40K. Plus a bigger battery and I'd say probably not.

Btw, the issue that a lot of overseas people have looking at US prices is that they are quoted pre-tax and pre-delivery. For me the 35K listed price is actually 35K + 1.2K destination fee + 8.75% tax = 39K. And the UK has 20% tax, so that would make it more like 43.5K, which is pretty much £30,000 (since it costs more to ship to Europe).

• Informative
Reactions: Jayc
Using Model S prices as a comparison, my best guesstimate is that an AWD M3 is going to start at about £35k, so it will probably be possible, but you'll be limited on options.

Base Price £29,889 (taking the headline 35k USD base and the current 'exchange rate' for a base model S in USD vs GBP of 1.17)
Long Range £7,686
AWD £4,700
Paint £950
Wheels £1,400
Enhanced Autopilot £4,700
Premium £4,700
Full Auto £2,800
Fee £380

Using Model S prices as a comparison, my best guesstimate is that an AWD M3 is going to start at about £35k, so it will probably be possible, but you'll be limited on options.

Base Price £29,889 (taking the headline 35k USD base and the current 'exchange rate' for a base model S in USD vs GBP of 1.17)
Long Range £7,686
AWD £4,700
Paint £950
Wheels £1,400
Enhanced Autopilot £4,700
Premium £4,700
Full Auto £2,800
Fee £380
I hope so I got this for long range only

Attachments

• IMG_2135.PNG
    IMG_2135.PNG