Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Realistic range...it would be great if it was more accurate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have some very nice divided highways up here like the Coquihalla that has a 120 km speed limit but the cops generally give a 10 km buffer before ticketing. That's basically 85 mph. In fact, the highway became safer when the speed limit was raised to 120 km/hr.

There's nothing dangerous about 80-85 mph on straight stretches with clear views and I'm not needlessly risking anyone's life when I drive at 85 mph on the highways here. Slow drivers are among the most dangerous on the road.

This wasn't my video, but Texas 130 shown here is where I went to try out the acceleration in my new S in 2013. I got up to 90 without realizing it before I let up on the accelerator.

Just wanted to congratulate you on the awesome username, fellow Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels fan.

And I agree on the need for a more accurate range estimate.

Good catch, way to go, great flick!!!

Lol, you don't have to "analyze" anything. It's just there. There's no way to change the battery display except rated, ideal or percent. That's all.

Your last line - that's kinda the whole premise of this thread.....

On the center console, the range display shows on the right side of the graph an estimate of the current range, based on recent energy usage.

Why can't that be displayed on the dashboard? There appears to be enough room to do that... That would be more informative than watching the current energy consumption rate numbers and trying to project remaining range - or watching the trip energy chart on the center console (taking up half of the display).

Tesla can do more to provide realistic projections of the range left on the current charge - and they will need to do that in order to achieve their FSD goals, of having the FSD software drive by itself on long distance trips, and even stopping at superchargers without human interaction.

The current trip planner is a good start - but not accurate enough (at least in our experience) to reliably use for planning charging stops.

On the center console, the range display shows on the right side of the graph an estimate of the current range, based on recent energy usage.

Why can't that be displayed on the dashboard? There appears to be enough room to do that... That would be more informative than watching the current energy consumption rate numbers and trying to project remaining range - or watching the trip energy chart on the center console (taking up half of the display).

Tesla can do more to provide realistic projections of the range left on the current charge - and they will need to do that in order to achieve their FSD goals, of having the FSD software drive by itself on long distance trips, and even stopping at superchargers without human interaction.

The current trip planner is a good start - but not accurate enough (at least in our experience) to reliably use for planning charging stops.

Based on the videos they've shown (and based on common sense given the legal liability involved), the car in FSD mode never exceeds the speed limit. If that is the case it is going to be going so slow most of the time that it will likely be able to achieve something very close to the rated range except in the coldest climates. Point being that when the car is operating in FSD mode they will likely be able to estimate remaining range with a very high degree of accuracy because the car knows how it is going to drive whereas a human driver is unpredictable.

Battery on dash says 195mi

App on screen says 130 projected

Highway driving 80 in an 80

Just giving a real world real time example. Would be cool if the battery just gave me the 130 instead of the fictional 195 that drops at 1.3x per mile.

I think the simplest answer is: the little battery isn't designed to do that.

To which the 5 yr old will go: WHY?! I WANNA...

And we point to the graphs.

And the response is BUT I WANNA

So we shrug our shoulders go and go "put in an improvement suggestion to Tesla to make the battery icon reflect the avg of last 100 miles or whatever."

You're right. Damn people for having thoughts and opinions and sharing them in a forum like this...I mean it's a public discussion forum where people come to discuss things right? Why would we ever want to discuss how something could potentially be improved? Pssh.

Furthermore, get over yourself with that signature. are you kidding me, ha!!!!

You're right. Damn people for having thoughts and opinions and sharing them in a forum like this...I mean it's a public discussion forum where people come to discuss things right? Why would we ever want to discuss how something could potentially be improved? Pssh.

Furthermore, get over yourself with that signature. are you kidding me, ha!!!!
I think what he's saying is what you want already exists. You just want it in a different place. Fine. Noted. We can't do anything about it. As you will see, this is a great car and it's fun to drive but you will discover dozens of things you find missing or could be improved. It's really not as important as you think it is right now.

But as I recall, it fluctuates too much based on exactly how you're driving at that moment/small sample, vs taking in a larger sample size of your overall driving style.

It seems no matter how I drive, I cant get more than 200...so why does it even say 270 in the first place, does anyone get anything near that, and how?

I have a 70 and I find that rated range is pretty accurate for me. Of course, I do not accelerate hard, rarely drive over 75 and I rely almost exclusively on regen to slow or stop. You do have to recognize that you won't use the last 10% of battery anyway, so that subtracts 27 miles for your car, making it 243 mile range.

The information the OP wants is important. I among many users figured out how to display that info in an ongoing way that works for me while on a long distance trip. Tesla has 4 customizable screens, two on the dash and two on the big screen. I personally find that using one big screen for the map/navigation and the other to monitor consumption with projected range at the rate of the past 30 miles is the best way to remain informed and avoid an unpleasant surprise.

Reactions: Trunk Gap
Battery on dash says 195mi

App on screen says 130 projected

Highway driving 80 in an 80

Just giving a real world real time example. Would be cool if the battery just gave me the 130 instead of the fictional 195 that drops at 1.3x per mile.

The battery on the dash is a gauge. Can't have that jumping up and down depending driving conditions. The only reason that should go up is if energy is actually being added back into the battery.

Two possible ways Tesla could address your concerns:

1.) Display that projected range on the energy graph on the small dash screen. There's room to do this.

2.) Allow the user to adjust the Wh/mi that results in the actual mileage matching the rated range. You can set this to your car's lifetime so it should give you a better estimate on range while still acting as a gauge.

Those would be easy changes that I believe most owners would find helpful.

Reactions: Trunk Gap
The battery on the dash is a gauge. Can't have that jumping up and down depending driving conditions. The only reason that should go up is if energy is actually being added back into the battery.

Two possible ways Tesla could address your concerns:

1.) Display that projected range on the energy graph on the small dash screen. There's room to do this.

2.) Allow the user to adjust the Wh/mi that results in the actual mileage matching the rated range. You can set this to your car's lifetime so it should give you a better estimate on range while still acting as a gauge.

Those would be easy changes that I believe most owners would find helpful.

Exactly! Will submit to Tesla. You're right on.