Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Realistic Range with the Short-Range Battery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
75 mph on the highway in lower temps with some grade changes could easily take the battery down to 150 miles, possibly less. That's also the range on a brand new battery. Battery will lose at least 1% of max capacity per year through normal use.

I think that short range is a great option for someone who needs a short range commuter and errand runner.

75 mph on the highway in lower temps with some grade changes could easily take the battery down to 150 miles, possibly less. That's also the range on a brand new battery. Battery will lose at least 1% of max capacity per year through normal use.

I think that short range is a great option for someone who needs a short range commuter and errand runner.
The reason I'm asking is that I plan on doing frequent drives from San Francisco to Los Angeles to see my parents. It seems like with the SR I will need to stop at least 2 times to charge and with the LR I can probably get away with only stopping once.

The reason I'm asking is that I plan on doing frequent drives from San Francisco to Los Angeles to see my parents. It seems like with the SR I will need to stop 3 times to charge and with the LR I can probably get away with only stopping once.
You start out with ~ 90 more miles of range. If a SC adds 3.5- 4.0 miles a minute to a SR car, you save ~ 25 minutes travel time each way to gain those miles, and then some more time additional SC stop since the LR charges up to ~ 40% faster.

An answer to your OP

Last edited:
... what range should I expect from the short-range battery?
?
Probably enough to get to the next supercharger... is how I look at it. I also look at it from a 'time behind the wheel' perspective: ~2-hours worth of nonstop driving. If you charge to 100%, as you typically do for long distance trips, and with some speed moderation, you would likely achieve just over 200 miles of range.

You start out with ~ 90 more miles of range. If a SC adds 3.5- 4.0 miles a minute to a SR car, you save ~ 25 minutes travel time each way to gain those miles, and then some more time additional SC stop since the LR charges up to ~ 40% faster.

An answer to your OP

I think the time savings is worth it for me to get the LR. There's nothing wrong with stopping at the SC, but I like having the option not to.

The reason I'm asking is that I plan on doing frequent drives from San Francisco to Los Angeles to see my parents. It seems like with the SR I will need to stop at least 2 times to charge and with the LR I can probably get away with only stopping once.

You'll probably have to stop twice with the long range as well. I drive my P85D from the Bay Area to LA pretty often and I make at LEAST two stops, depending on how fast I'm driving (I5). This is with the battery fully charged when I start.

• Disagree
Reactions: Maximilien
I wouldn't compare to a P85 without regard to his tires. 21 inch rims with performance tires are a range killer.

Next a S is less aerodynamic so it will get hit more by fast speeds. This difference is probably minor.

But here is a thought. $80 more to lease (WAG). If you make the trip every 3 months, it is worth $240 to skip the supercharger?

I have a 70D. I have wanted more range about 5 times. Never made a huge difference those 5 times but I did slow to 68 from 75 on a long trip. I did take back roads that added 5 min once. These are the kind of sacrifices. When I leased, it was $170 a month difference. So my total sacrifice was less than an hour and for a 3 year lease, I saved $6k. I have a year left so I shouldn't say too much yet.

The acceleration difference was the other issue. At the time, it was a full second in the 0-60. But it was still a big jump in lease payments.

Stopping twice with a LR might be avoided by going 74 instead of 78 - although I am not from CA so I don't know that for sure.

• Informative
Reactions: Tezlah
This depends on person driving style.

My Model S says EPA 259 miles but I get nearly 300 miles.

My Model X says EPA 295 miles but I average out 335 miles per 98.4 kwh cycles..

So if EPA calculation is 220 miles. I can expect about 250 miles at least for base.

This makes the Model 3 a really good car.

Wow! Are you in the slow lane doing 55? LOL.