Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Realistic Range with the Short-Range Battery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hmm, interesting. Scaling the results from the official Tesla range calculator for the Model S to match the Model 3 shows that range actually goes *up* at 86°F relative to 68°F. Apparently the improved battery efficiency overcomes the increased cooling cost up to a point.

Model 3 SR / LR
75mph, AC on, 68°F: 183 / 257mi (83%)
75mph, AC on, 86°F: 187 / 264mi (85%)
75mph, AC on, 104°F: 185 / 261mi (84%)

The main reason for reduced range vs. EPA is primarily the speed, not the AC. Cutting the speed to 68mph, AC on, 86°F for example is 207 / 292 mi (94%)

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: McRat and chronopc
The hottest place in the world is in California, and the mountains get pretty cold in the winter. The coastal areas are mild, with San Diego having perhaps the world's best climate. Never hot, never cold.

I know what the weather in CA is like. I didn't want to have to run the numbers for every temperature between snowy mountains and Death Valley. I was hoping they'd tell me what temperature they were thinking of so that I didn't have to play a guessing game.

If you have a 'philosophical objection' to DCFC, then you need to consider what different vehicle design advantages and disadvantages are.

You sound like an ICE or EREV would fit your needs better. Long trips in EVs require recharging which happens more often and takes longer than adding gasoline to your tank.

As of 2017, no pure EV can keep up with a new $13k ICE when it comes to average MPH for long trips. An EREV can, or in particular a Volt.

However, in another application an EV is superior to an ICE in refueling time. Let's say your neighbor needs to drive 50 miles to work and back each day (100mi/day). In a 'short range' Model 3, he can probably drive 85 mph to work, and 85 mph home. And never, ever, once stop for refueling for any reason. An ICE car for them would require at least once a week fueling, if not 2 or 3 times a week.

Now this neighbor could NOT use a short range (50-150mi) EV for that trip. The 85 mph, all season, all weather, drive will stop cars with under 150 miles of range. In other words, Smart, Honda, Nissan, BMW, MB, VW, Ford, Fiat offerings.

The idea that you have to go to a gas station with an ICE is not always accurate. There is a company (booster something or other) that delivers to cars in my area (SF Bay Area, and they'd also in Dallas). You park your car, use the company's app to tell it you want a refuel and their truck comes around and fills your tank, cleans your windows and checks/fills tires. The prices are no more than at the gas station.

They seem to be doing good business and a lot of cars where I work get refueled by them. In many ways, better than home charging for an EV since it all happens while you're at work and you even get old fashioned full service refueling.

The idea that you have to go to a gas station with an ICE is not always accurate. There is a company (booster something or other)

One of many. But:

“It is not permitted,” said Lt. Jonathan Baxter, a spokesman for the San Francisco fire department. Baxter said if San Francisco residents see any companies fueling vehicles in the city, they should call the fire department.

I hate it when these startups (Uber being another big example) feel that because they're a tech startup they're free to just go wherever and ignore all regulations on everything they want to do. Most regulations are present for a good reason.

Of course, here's the reaction to that statement from one exec:

Filld, an 18-month-old startup with thousands of customers in Silicon Valley, plans to start service in San Francisco today, deploying three delivery trucks at 1 p.m. “You can never ask for permission because no one will give it,” said Chris Aubuchon, the CEO at Filld.

Yeah, typical sense of entitlement. "You say it's illegal, we'll just ignore you and do it anyway." And they'll probably get away with it, too.

Bruno Uzzan, the CEO of Los Angeles-based Purple, said his company is in discussions with the fire department. “I don't know that guy,” he said of Curry. When asked if Purple would stop delivering gasoline, he replied, “No. Why should we?"

Again: FU. I hope these people at least get heavily fined, if not arrested. These people need to learn that laws are not optional, including for tech startups.

On a recent Monday morning, about 40 miles south of San Francisco, Aubuchon carefully drove a Ford F-250 pickup truck with 324 gallons of gasoline into a hospital parking garage in Palo Alto, Calif. The truck -- also loaded with a pump, two fire extinguishers, a bucket of chalk to absorb spills, two orange traffic cones and a receipt printer -- nearly grazed the ceiling of the garage as its radio antenna whipped around. Aubuchon was looking for a silver Mini Cooper.

Maybe it'll take someone burning down a hospital before fines start getting issued? Just what the world needs, pickup trucks loaded with tanks of gasoline driving around through parking lots and residential streets trying to meet a schedule. Probably fueling with the engine on, too.

The California government agency that oversees the state’s fire marshals office is convening a meeting on May 24 to discuss mobile fueling. It doesn't believe the startups’ current operations “meet the requirements to be able to operate safely,” said Lynne Tomachoff , a spokeswoman for the agency.

Gee, what could go wrong with something like this?

1024x1024.jpg

Back 'er up!

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: Eclectic
If you have a 'philosophical objection' to DCFC, then you need to consider what different vehicle design advantages and disadvantages are.

You sound like an ICE or EREV would fit your needs better. Long trips in EVs require recharging which happens more often and takes longer than adding gasoline to your tank.

As of 2017, no pure EV can keep up with a new $13k ICE when it comes to average MPH for long trips. An EREV can, or in particular a Volt.

However, in another application an EV is superior to an ICE in refueling time. Let's say your neighbor needs to drive 50 miles to work and back each day (100mi/day). In a 'short range' Model 3, he can probably drive 85 mph to work, and 85 mph home. And never, ever, once stop for refueling for any reason. An ICE car for them would require at least once a week fueling, if not 2 or 3 times a week.

Now this neighbor could NOT use a short range (50-150mi) EV for that trip. The 85 mph, all season, all weather, drive will stop cars with under 150 miles of range. In other words, Smart, Honda, Nissan, BMW, MB, VW, Ford, Fiat offerings.

Doesn't appear you read my comment in context.

Your short range ev example isn't true for all/many people.

Ps - there's almost never an appropriate time to be driving 85mph on American roadways.

The hottest place in the world is in California, and the mountains get pretty cold in the winter.

The coastal areas are mild, with San Diego having perhaps the world's best climate. Never hot, never cold.
CA is a huge state and the weather changes throughout the day. I usually take the I-5 so I would say the weather is between 60-90 depending on the time of year.

<s>
It sounds like a couple of us shouldn't buy a mobile phone either because there's a mountain or state park somewhere that doesn't have coverage. BUT, if we take a messaging pigeon with us, well then there's no limit to where we can go.
</s>

Reactions: KarenRei
Hmm, interesting. Scaling the results from the official Tesla range calculator for the Model S to match the Model 3 shows that range actually goes *up* at 86°F relative to 68°F. Apparently the improved battery efficiency overcomes the increased cooling cost up to a point.

Model 3 SR / LR
75mph, AC on, 68°F: 183 / 257mi (83%)
75mph, AC on, 86°F: 187 / 264mi (85%)
75mph, AC on, 104°F: 185 / 261mi (84%)

The main reason for reduced range vs. EPA is primarily the speed, not the AC. Cutting the speed to 68mph, AC on, 86°F for example is 207 / 292 mi (94%)
Thanks for running these numbers. Looks like with the LR stopping once is more than enough.

One of many. But:

I hate it when these startups (Uber being another big example) feel that because they're a tech startup they're free to just go wherever and ignore all regulations on everything they want to do. Most regulations are present for a good reason.

Of course, here's the reaction to that statement from one exec:

Yeah, typical sense of entitlement. "You say it's illegal, we'll just ignore you and do it anyway." And they'll probably get away with it, too.

Again: FU. I hope these people at least get heavily fined, if not arrested. These people need to learn that laws are not optional, including for tech startups.

Maybe it'll take someone burning down a hospital before fines start getting issued? Just what the world needs, pickup trucks loaded with tanks of gasoline driving around through parking lots and residential streets trying to meet a schedule. Probably fueling with the engine on, too.

Gee, what could go wrong with something like this?

1024x1024.jpg

Back 'er up!

Well, sometimes the regulations are there to protect the established players and prevent disruption. Sometimes those regulations are a lot less about safety and a lot more about the successful efforts of lobbyists.

Some of the companies/tech that you and I take advantage of every day wouldn't exist if new players weren't willing to bend the rules or sometimes break them.

People sure like Uber... who spend as much on lawyers for all the laws they break as they do on building their business.

Doesn't appear you read my comment in context.

Your short range ev example isn't true for all/many people.

Ps - there's almost never an appropriate time to be driving 85mph on American roadways.

Adjust the variables to suit if your religion does not allow you to drive certain speeds.

You live 75 miles from work, and you drive 65 mph, you live 200 miles from work and drive 25mph, you live 25 miles from work and drive 120 mph, etc.

Most commuters can do with a 80 mile EV range for commuting all year round, at any sensible speed. Those who drive further are rare.

So we are talking only about people for whom a Short Range EV cannot do the job required of them, not a religious preference.

Contextually your thoughts that 220 miles in an EV is 'short range' is (your word) dumb.

• Disagree
Reactions: alseTrick
People sure like Uber... who spend as much on lawyers for all the laws they break as they do on building their business.

Companies that break regulations offload the consequences of their actions onto everyone else. People who break vehicle fueling regulations pass on the risk of being killed in a fire to innocent bystanders. Companies like Uber who for years had their drivers operating on noncommercial insurance policies passed the premium increases (commercial insurance is more expensive for a reason - commercial drivers do more miles and get sued / face more liability more) to other non-commercial insurance policy holders. Etc. And once you decide you're just going to ignore regulations, where do you stop? Apparently with Uber, "at nothing", given that they hired private investigators to dig up dirt on journalists, engaged in "god mode" to monitor where people were going, tracked the locations of government officials who were investigating them in order to avoid them, ran a campaign of making fake rides on their competitors services, and literally dozens upon dozens of scummy and/or illegal tactics.

If you don't like a law or regulation, the answer isn't "just ignore it". If you choose "just ignore it", you should be fined and/or sent to jail.

CA is a huge state and the weather changes throughout the day. I usually take the I-5 so I would say the weather is between 60-90 depending on the time of year.

I drove from LA up to NorCal on Monday. It was about 98-102 for a big stretch of it according to the thermometer in my car. My A/C was blasting. Still, it doesn't look like a/c really affects range much. Thank you to those who calculated the numbers.

Despite the number of charging stations available, there are still enormous stretches of the country that not only have no super-charger network but also have no 50 amp charge service of any kind.

For me, I want the M3 to be able to make the short "day trips" I enjoy, where I might drive for a couple of hours to a fun place in the middle of nowhere. I then need enough range to return until I am close enough to a charger to replenish the battery. Charging at the destination is almost definitely not an option and I don't want to make huge detours to charge the vehicle, which is necessary with current Tesla infrastructure.

When I take these trips in a gasoline vehicle I can bring an extra 200 or so miles of range in a couple of jerry cans. Currently not an option for EVs.

That's us too. We only do the I-5 drive once or twice a year. When it's a business trip, it's just me so I just fly down. However, we do the 2 hour (roughly 100ish mile) trips all the time. DW even has to do that once a week for work. That's why we need the LR for sure. Just nice to be reassured that the LA-NorCal run can definitely be done with just 1 stop for sure with the LR. My run is actually 440 miles so I'll probably take the full 45-60 minutes and get as close to 100% at the Supercharger for my one stop.

I have to agree with voip-ninja.

Sometime regulations are there to prevent competition, and sometimes they are things that once made a lot of sense but as technology has progressed they haven't been reviewed and are simply outdated. Getting a politician interested enough to go against an existing lobby group or look at the engineering logic behind technical regulations is not going to happen until there is media/public attention on the matter.

Thanks for running these numbers. Looks like with the LR stopping once is more than enough.
While it may be possible to make it with a single, longer charge session in the Model 3 LR, it may actually be faster to make two stops.

A Better Route Planner takes this into effect with a number of variables you can customize based on your driving preferences, and generally recommends two stops (total charging time still less than 45 minutes) even with the Model 3 LR to minimize total trip time.

This is also somewhat affected by the location of the Superchargers, since they aren't located in the perfect spot, so you often have to charge earlier than is optimal which increases charging time.