Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Realistic sale price 2017 Model 3? 17k miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Realistically, what would a fair price be for my 2017 Model 3 with 17 miles?

White w/aero wheels
VIN 0015XX
Build date 2017 or 2018 (door sticker says 2018 build, registered as 2017)
Long range RWD
EAP and FSD enabled
No dents or dings.
Some road rash on wheels, as seems to be the case with most Model 3s w/more than 10 miles :)

Tesla offered $37,600

Looking to replace w/Performance

• Informative
Reactions: shrspeedblade

White w/aero wheels
VIN 0015XX
Long range RWD
EAP and FSD enabled
No dents or dings.
Some road rash on wheels, as seems to be the case with most Model 3s w/more than 10 miles :)

Tesla offered $37,600

Wow... your pre-tax config was $58K so after tax credit that’s still $51K - surprised Tesla is taking a 27% haircut for 11 months.

• Love
Reactions: Pkmmte and Jaywlker
Someone in the Forum was attempting to sell a M3 RWD, LR, EAP, without FSD, and about 10k miles for 44k. The Forum comments seemed to indicate a consensus closer to $40k.

Your M3 has SEVENTEEN miles on it? And the tires have road rash? How is that possible?

17,000 miles per the thread title.

What I'm telling myself is that I need to be happy with my LR RWD for a couple of years at least (I am, very much so) and see what happens to the prices on used P3Ds, the tax credit going forward, etc. Probably the best thing to do is wait 3 or 4 years when Tesla comes out with the latest and greatest Performance model and suddenly the used values will be much closer to your car.

But I'm a (small) stockholder and fan- so I say bite the bullet and trade it in! ;) You only live once! :D

Someone in the Forum was attempting to sell a M3 RWD, LR, EAP, without FSD, and about 10k miles for 44k. The Forum comments seemed to indicate a consensus closer to $40k.

Your M3 has SEVENTEEN miles on it? And the tires have road rash? How is that possible?
Super easy getting curb rash on model 3. I believe 17 miles is more than enough.

Keep in mind your car is not made any more, they only make the RWD in mid range and its slower. You also have a tighter/stiffer suspension that handles pretty darn nice too!

I would wait until 2019 to sell this because the value will automatically jump ~$3K from the tax credit getting cut in half.

I think 40-42K is reasonable for this, check out Current Automotive as they may be interested in purchasing this.

• Funny
Reactions: adaptabl

That seller was being totally honest about his car. Accident and what he owes. THAT IS NOT NORMAL, the later. You can't compare this and that.

Tesla offered another seller here $48k for a lower mileage model 3 with only EAP.

Tesla is definitely low balling @FreeOfPge . They aren't in a business to sell used cars.

Sell it privately is my thought and I think 2019 will be better. 340miles real world is no joke!

Sad to see the model 3 taking a dump already. Just bought one :rolleyes: Good thing we plan to keep it for a long time. Bought the most range efficient Tesla there is!

White w/aero wheels
VIN 0015XX
Long range RWD
EAP and FSD enabled
No dents or dings.

Tesla offered $37,600

Sounds fair.

Keep in mind your car is not made any more, they only make the RWD in mid range and its slower. You also have a tighter/stiffer suspension that handles pretty darn nice too!

I would wait until 2019 to sell this because the value will automatically jump ~$3K from the tax credit getting cut in half.

I think 40-42K is reasonable for this, check out Current Automotive as they may be interested in purchasing this.

The LR RWD is getting exported to China.

It’s not discontinued. The cells are just being reallocated due to being the bottleneck.

They can make 20% more cars if they converted all the LR production to MR.

GF1 and Sparks worked all thanksgiving while Fremont lines were off.

Reactions: ℬête Noire
If I was in the market, $38k would be a screaming deal it seems to me.
I'd spend another $1k replacing the curbed wheels, and I'm into a ~new 3 w 17k (big deal) for $39k...roughly $8k less than a new 3RWDLR after the tax credit.
I can see why Tesla lowballed your trade offer, but I also see that if you're willing to sell it privately at/near that price, you won't own it long.
My guess is that if the first digit in your ask is a 4, you'll end up sitting on the car a while.

I am the one selling the car mentioned here. I have had serious offers in the 37-38K range. Vroom offered 37K. I say OP should ask more. Try out vroom and see what they offer you.

• Informative
Reactions: Jaywlker
Super easy getting curb rash on model 3. I believe 17 miles is more than enough.
It took my wife a couple hundred miles but she then put in the effort to get a twofer by nailing both front and back on the passenger side at once. :p

To the OP; It's come up before on here that Tesla tends to lowball on Tesla trade-ins. I know it's a hassle, and doubly so if you would get credit for the trade-in in reducing your local sales tax on the new vehicle, but the suggestion of trying to private sell yourself may be your best recourse.

P.S. I hadn't even tried to trade in to Tesla for mine, due to the already hassle of buying in TX and not wanting to risk being out a vehicle if there was an issue (I was an early AWD order). I also had checked with Carmax locally and they were quoting me something that was close to 50% of Kelly Blue Book, so I'd have zero leverage with Tesla. Fortunately I was clear on title for it so I just took delivery of the new car, cleaned up the old one, and then slow-rolled selling. Got something approaching mid-range book value for it so was pretty happy with that.

• Love
Reactions: Jaywlker