Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Realistic wait times for home charging adapters?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I picked up my M3P+ last Friday. I ordered a home wall connector on December 9th. Still no word from Tesla on when it will ship. I also ordered a 14/50 NEMA plug a on December 16th as a backup. No info from Tesla on when that will ship either. I need to schedule an electrician for the install, but I can't really do that for the wall charger without knowing when it will come in. Tesla has been unresponsive to my questions. Any idea when I can expect to see them on the way?

I picked up my M3P+ last Friday. I ordered a home wall connector on December 9th. Still no word from Tesla on when it will ship. I also ordered a 14/50 NEMA plug a on December 16th as a backup. No info from Tesla on when that will ship either. I need to schedule an electrician for the install, but I can't really do that for the wall charger without knowing when it will come in. Tesla has been unresponsive to my questions. Any idea when I can expect to see them on the way?

Can you not have the electrician run the wires for the NEMA and wall connector?
I have no electric experience, but I think if the wires were in place, it would be simple enough to hook it up myself, as long as the breaker was off.

Tesla sent me an order confirmation email for my wall connector. The next day another email confirmed it shipped with a tracking number. I used that to schedule my electrician. Let your electrician install everything. No headaches and you get the electrician's warranty.

Have you tried your local dealer instead?

I took delivery last thursday. My advisor told me that they had plenty of 14-50 adapters in stock and not to worry about them running out prior my pickup. Upon my arrival, I looked inside the delivery area and saw approximately 50 wall connectors stacked up against the wall. So I decided to pick up one of the those instead. I was originally planning on the 14-50 plug since the wall connectors were out of stock online, but changed my mind since they had them there.

Ordered my Silver wall connector 12/7 shipped on 12/17. Response time was quick when I emailed for an update - referenced the order number via email received reply with tracking # in 20 minutes so good response time here:) Picked up my model 3 yesterday with only ½ charge which was tricky as my commute home was 60 miles so didn’t get to stretch her legs much. I pre-wired for the connector hoping to be able to install it by delivery and my SC suggested putting in a 14-50 plug and then when the connector comes in simply plugging it into the 14-50 in lieu of a direct wire. Might be an option for others but my impression is this would limit the charging to 40amp versus 48 by not wiring the connector directly??....but beats the 5 miles per hour I’m getting currently waiting on the connector delivery:)

Ordered my Silver wall connector 12/7 shipped on 12/17. Response time was quick when I emailed for an update - referenced the order number via email received reply with tracking # in 20 minutes so good response time here:) Picked up my model 3 yesterday with only ½ charge which was tricky as my commute home was 60 miles so didn’t get to stretch her legs much. I pre-wired for the connector hoping to be able to install it by delivery and my SC suggested putting in a 14-50 plug and then when the connector comes in simply plugging it into the 14-50 in lieu of a direct wire. Might be an option for others but my impression is this would limit the charging to 40amp versus 48 by not wiring the connector directly??....but beats the 5 miles per hour I’m getting currently waiting on the connector delivery:)

depends on your commute. If you can survive on 50-60 miles of charge a day, assuming your charging the vehicle for 10-12 hours after you get home, then I would just use the 110v plug @ 5 miles/hr while your waiting for the wall connector. I think it's more work than it's worth to install the 14-50 just to install the wall connector a week later. From listening to my electrician, the wall connector only needed 3 wires run to the unit, as opposed to the 14-50 nema needs 4 wires run to the outlet. You would also have to install a temporary box to house the 14-50 outlet.

If you absolutely need the faster charging time right now....... then go for the temporary solution.

Tesla shipping for in stock items isn't up to Amazon's standards.
Sometimes Tesla has accessories in stock with Amazon fulfillment. Shipping is more predictable like this if they have what you want. This option lived up to Amazon's stated timeline for me.

Scheduling an electrician in Portland has a couple of weeks lead or more time if my experience is typical.

Call around and get multiple quotes. The first place that I called quoted nearly 3x the price of what I actually paid.

Don't worry about charging during the wait for in town driving. 120V @12A is plenty when plugged in overnight.