Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Realistically, how much is my Model S worth today?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You are correct that the 85 will no longer have the full 265 mile range and 255 is indeed likely, but you cannot then say the mileage difference will be closer between the cars because the 70 will also degrade. The most rapid degradation is said to happen in the first year, so presumably after a year or two you will be close to the published differences in range between the two cars.

Right, but you will still have more miles on the S85 compared to the 70D. Once everything settles, you will have a closer than 25 miles difference in max mileage between the 2 cars. Keep in mind the S85 will always have more cycles on it will always be older. If you assume that the 70D will cycle harder, then MAYBE you can argue they will be closer to the 25 miles, but 70KW and 85KW is close enough to make it negligible. If anything, the S85 batteries will go out first if you extrapolate to greater than 10+ years. Still, it may not be 10 miles difference, but probably only a 15 miles difference. But I doubt a 25 miles difference.

It's all about supply/demand. The same used S in California will probably be worth less than a used S in Arizona or Texas.

This seems like a reasonable assumption, but there's also the monkey wrench of state tax incentives. A buyer of a new Tesla in California will automatically subtract $2500 from the price because of the California tax incentive, so used cars may be adjusted downward by some portion of that $2500. In most states there is no tax incentive though, so a buyer may be willing to pay a bit more since the cost of a new car is $2500 higher than in California. But then there's varying state sales tax and that is yet another monkey wrench...

I think for a Model S the geographic location is almost irrelevant due to the scarcity of vehicles with the options you want. I know if I were looking for a used Model S, I will do pretty much a national search to find exactly what I'm looking for and pay to have the car I find shipped to me. By doing a national search I also will en dup getting the best price. I think with low stock it almost makes no sense to only limit to a small geographic area, unless you live in CA :)

I think for a Model S the geographic location is almost irrelevant due to the scarcity of vehicles with the options you want. I know if I were looking for a used Model S, I will do pretty much a national search to find exactly what I'm looking for and pay to have the car I find shipped to me. By doing a national search I also will en dup getting the best price. I think with low stock it almost makes no sense to only limit to a small geographic area, unless you live in CA :)

You are correct to call out CA. Here they are as common as a C class Mercedes.

So, all that said, I'll offer you $48k for your car, gnychis. :)

$48k, Joe? You got it, man! jk ;)

Yeah, its definitely been really interesting to see all of the discussion going on.

One thing that I'm realizing is that everyone on this list is what I would consider extremely educated buyers when it comes to Teslas. Everyone here knows the ropes in terms of different options, build dates, differences in manufacturing periods, batteries, etc. So, you guys are the "toughest buyers" there are. There's nothing wrong with that!

All of that said, for what it's worth I received an offer in the Boston area for $66k today. So, it seems like selling in the mid 60's is at least possible. I'll keep testing the waters for a bit.

$48k, Joe? You got it, man! jk ;)

Yeah, its definitely been really interesting to see all of the discussion going on.

One thing that I'm realizing is that everyone on this list is what I would consider extremely educated buyers when it comes to Teslas. Everyone here knows the ropes in terms of different options, build dates, differences in manufacturing periods, batteries, etc. So, you guys are the "toughest buyers" there are. There's nothing wrong with that!

All of that said, for what it's worth I received an offer in the Boston area for $66k today. So, it seems like selling in the mid 60's is at least possible. I'll keep testing the waters for a bit.

You make a good point :) Your best bet is to find an ill informed buyer. Just tell them the car was $9x,xxx new and you are now selling it for 6x,xxx and what a great car and a bargain it is but you have to "give it away" at that great price to upgrade to a new Tesla... Just hope they don't pull up the eBay sold listings or Tesla forums :)

One of the big dangers to resale value I would argue is the lack of parts and common service options that you would have with an ICE. I'd like to have a Tesla S but can't afford one yet. I might could afford a used one. But then I think about it being out of warranty and suddenly needing a repair. What are the options? Can't get parts to fix it yourself. And service center options are extremely limited. Makes me far more hesitant towards considering a used one, and lowers the price I'd be willing to pay.

One of the big dangers to resale value I would argue is the lack of parts and common service options that you would have with an ICE. I'd like to have a Tesla S but can't afford one yet. I might could afford a used one. But then I think about it being out of warranty and suddenly needing a repair. What are the options? Can't get parts to fix it yourself. And service center options are extremely limited. Makes me far more hesitant towards considering a used one, and lowers the price I'd be willing to pay.

I'd never consider owning a Model S out of warranty unless Tesla has proven to be reasonable with out of warranty repairs with hopefully some upper limit, let's say for $4,000, for any single repair. Thankfully with the battery and the drivetrain warranty being 8 years we still have a long way to go before out of warranty repairs become a concern affecting resale values.

I think that the longer term ownership will start to show this car holding higher resale value than the typical luxury sedan. The fact that its still a little known technology yet holds on par with others in its class is frankly remarkable to me. Of course, there is limited production and availability that might be holding it at that point, but it merely means that its keeping on par with supply and demand - which would make sense given Telsa's real time production practices.

We know that there are less moving parts and therefore less risk of mechanical failure so it should hold higher value. The hold out is long term health and viability of the batter pack - its the "elephant in the room' so to speak. They have the ability to monitor and replace cells over time that fail to keep it working as spec'd. And, that combined with the long unlimited warranty, should get us out to the 5+ year marks with some piece of mind. As we start to see cars on the road in the 5 to 8 year mark still performing as spec'd and a better understanding of how well the battery will fare with the recharge cycles, I would expect the car to have a depreciation impact less than its peers. My guess is that battery technology will drive costs down and TM will have a comprehensive CPO and exchange program that will offset the perception of risk for the buyer.

I had mentioned earlier that in California the MS is pretty common and thus driving the market price down locally for resale. On second thought that might be true currently; however, we also know as cars start to get a little older California is a hot market for export...'grey market' cars are tough to hide here and the weather makes for far less corrosion in wiring and metal parts.

gnychis - Did you get a trade in estimate from Tesla? work with your original sales guy, They can also adjust the trade in # given by the system. With the tax savings.. this might work out. I am in the same boat and decided to trade in and get 85d .. my hit is 6K for 6k miles i drove as i got a demo with 10% discount .. Yes now will be paying full price for the new one.