Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

reality check: 328i, 335xi performance vs. model 3. how fast is 'fast'?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
reality check:
model 3 = concept car, there are no specs on a production car
bmw you've offered are gassers, there is no comparison.

Although I don't like that a troll (BMW ///M3) has gotten everyone here worked up, this argument is not helpful. Gassers are precisely to what you should compare a Model 3. The whole purpose of the Model 3 is to bring electric motoring to the masses and the "masses" are currently driving around in ICE powered cars. Up to this point the EV crowd had either been those with the cash to get a Model S or X, or the die-hards that bought the less expensive models, and to be honest, that latter group has created a stigma around electric motoring that makes Tesla's job even harder. We are taking ICE sales with the Model 3 on a scale not before seen and it is only prudent to compare the Model 3 to it's ICE competitors on all fronts...and with all information we have at this time it trounces them on all fronts.

Reactions: Red Sage
get a 328i, do ED save 6%, plus discounts pretty sure it will be under 35k.
5.2s 0-60 good luck to base model 3.

I'm quite confident the Model 3 will be smoking the BMW at stoplights around the world. Again they are going to be something slower than 6.3 seconds in real life (unless you are a total asshat who loves revving their engine). The base Model 3 will definitely be faster.

2015 BMW 335i xDrive - Instrumented Test
C/D TEST RESULTS:
Zero to 60 mph: 4.6 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 13.3 sec @ 105 mph

2016 BMW 328i Automatic - Instrumented Test
C/D TEST RESULTS:
Zero to 60 mph: 5.2 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 13.9 sec @ 99 mph

well model 3 is not out yet, so the best comparison will be against 70, and 70d.

70d:
Car and Driver
C/D TEST RESULTS:
Zero to 60 mph: 5.1 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 13.8 sec @ 101 mph

no data to back up 70, but 70 will be slower than D

the number doesn't lie, 70d barely matches 2016 b48 328i, let alone catch 335xi. now 335xi is no longer in production, 340xi is even faster.

next gen G series 3 class will be using carbon core frame, yes it has a mixture of carbon fiber and aluminum. being faster and lighter than the current 340i is given.

bottom line: stop saying model 3 is fast, when you have no idea what the competitors are performing.

How's the mpg on those BMWs?

I'm not sure that you can compare all models of 3 series (340, M3) to a base Model 3. I think a base Model 3 is going to be equivalent to a 320, AWD to a 328i, and there will probably be a performance version to compete with the 340/M3.

My last 2 cars have been 328 and 335's and after driving a MS, I've told the BMW dealer multiple times that I'm only considering a Tesla for my next car. If for some reason I can't get below a 5.3s 0-60 time with upgrades, I may reconsider a MS.

Last edited:
Didn't we have another thread that is pretty much exactly the same chest thumping about the 3 series? As noted in that one, isn't the 320i the base model? And that one is a lot slower. Also BMW quotes much worse 0-60 numbers (5.8 for 328i). The numbers quoted in the C&D tests are with launch control.

I'm not sure that you can compare all models of 3 series (340, M3) to a base Model 3. I think a base Model 3 is going to be equivalent to a 320, AWD to a 328i, and there will probably be a performance version to compete with the 340/M3.

My last 2 cars have been 328 and 335's and after driving a MS, I've told the BMW dealer multiple times that I'm only considering a Tesla for my next car. If for some reason I can't get below a 5.3s 0-60 time with upgrades, I may reconsider a MS.

A fully loaded (Ludicrous) Model 3 COULD be faster than a Ludicrous Model S, as the 3 is lighter and has less drag. This is assuming that Tesla makes a performance version of the Model 3 which can put out similar horsepower.

Reactions: Red Sage and PTADO
2015 BMW 335i xDrive - Instrumented Test
C/D TEST RESULTS:
Zero to 60 mph: 4.6 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 13.3 sec @ 105 mph

2016 BMW 328i Automatic - Instrumented Test
C/D TEST RESULTS:
Zero to 60 mph: 5.2 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 13.9 sec @ 99 mph

well model 3 is not out yet, so the best comparison will be against 70, and 70d.

70d:
Car and Driver
C/D TEST RESULTS:
Zero to 60 mph: 5.1 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 13.8 sec @ 101 mph

no data to back up 70, but 70 will be slower than D

the number doesn't lie, 70d barely matches 2016 b48 328i, let alone catch 335xi. now 335xi is no longer in production, 340xi is even faster.

next gen G series 3 class will be using carbon core frame, yes it has a mixture of carbon fiber and aluminum. being faster and lighter than the current 340i is given.

bottom line: stop saying model 3 is fast, when you have no idea what the competitors are performing.

Cough.

Any EV is quicker in traffic than a ICE with identical 0-60 mph times. No transmission, RPM does not affect output, flat HP curve. Try it. A 10 second EV will trounce an 8 second ICE car in traffic all day long.

I get a kick out of BMW guys who don't believe BMW is past their prime. You know a lowly 2016 Camaro thumps nearly everything BMW makes right? And you really shouldn't play with the ATS-V or CTS-V. The last straw is the CT6 which will put the 700 series to bed.

In any case, the BMW i3 will be competing with the Model 3. Talk about bringing a knife to a gun fight...

just like christopher columbus discovered the Americas in 1492, and brought clarity and advancement to that land. opened the eyes of many people who never seen the other side.

* cough* RPM does not affect output
tesla-model-s-power-and-torque-inc-dyno-png.63626

Cough.

Any EV is quicker in traffic than a ICE with identical 0-60 mph times. No transmission, RPM does not affect output, flat HP curve. Try it. A 10 second EV will trounce an 8 second ICE car in traffic all day long.

I get a kick out of BMW guys who don't believe BMW is past their prime. You know a lowly 2016 Camaro thumps nearly everything BMW makes right? And you really shouldn't play with the ATS-V or CTS-V. The last straw is the CT6 which will put the 700 series to bed.

In any case, the BMW i3 will be competing with the Model 3. Talk about bringing a knife to a gun fight...

• Disagree
Having driven a Model S for the past two years I can say that the 0-60 time really doesn't mean much to me. However, the difference between our old BMW and the S is all about instant torque and what that means for every day driving. I will never go back to the BMW (or any ICE), as much as I loved that car.

Status
Not open for further replies.