Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reality of upgrading battery packs (60kw -----> 100kw)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
motor should go 500k

That is an assumption and hope but it doesn't correlate with the reality so far. Ask anyone who has more than 100K miles on their Teslas and they will tell you how many times they replaced whole drive unit under the warranty. Common number is 2 or 3 drive units replaced.
My hope these were early models with defects and those were fixed in latest cars already but there is no proof yet.
So I wouldn't pass on warranty yet. Not until we see a Tesla with 500K miles without significant warranty repairs.

• Informative
Reactions: calisnow
How much do you take a hit when you trade in your vehicle? I know this is a loaded question, but are there any metrics generally on this?

100k+ miles on our classic S 2014. Tradin value tesla gave us pending inspection was $29,300. Why should we not have a option to upgrade. We may not have all the bells and whistles that the newer cars have but we are happy with ours and would MUCH rather be allowed to upgrade the battery rather than have to tradin the entire car. You can do the math on how much we'd have to spend to get a 100kWh battery the current way ($60k). We were promised to be able to upgrade the battery for a larger one in the future when we got our can and now we are being refused so much as a quote even though it is possible to put a 100 kWh pack in a classic S.

100k+ miles on our classic S 2014. Tradin value tesla gave us pending inspection was $29,300. Why should we not have a option to upgrade. We may not have all the bells and whistles that the newer cars have but we are happy with ours and would MUCH rather be allowed to upgrade the battery rather than have to tradin the entire car. You can do the math on how much we'd have to spend to get a 100kWh battery the current way ($60k). We were promised to be able to upgrade the battery for a larger one in the future when we got our can and now we are being refused so much as a quote even though it is possible to put a 100 kWh pack in a classic S.

$15K is a great deal so you might try that eBay guy to do your upgrade.

I'd want to find out exactly how the 3rd party upgrade would affect future firmware upgrades, too. I suspect there would be a custom firmware created to allow the upgrade to work. You possibly will not be able to get future firmware upgrades from Tesla. Maybe that won't matter by the time an owner is willing to do such a severe modification, as the improvements from firmware upgrades may be minor for an older vehicle.

• Informative
Reactions: SeminoleFSU
Should be note

Should be noted that you're gonna lose your warranty on battery at least or probably on the whole car after that. Guys give you their own warranty on replacement battery they install but whom do you trust more - multi-billion company or some tinkerers who could disappear tomorrow?

That's not just some tinkerer. Its the greatest of them all. @wk057

What makes you so sure he will stick to his hobby in the next 4 years?
Honestly you didn't get the point - I'm not talking about capabilities of one exact individual. My point is that garage hobbyists are not comparable to the big company like Tesla. Period.

What makes you think Tesla will be around in 4 years? Serious question. I think we should be skeptical all around.

$15K is a great deal so you might try that eBay guy to do your upgrade.

I also think it is OK deal for old S40 or S60 to get a fresh 85kWh battery. Not a good deal for ones with latest S60 (S75) battery.
Guys will keep your battery when they install new one ($15K value). I suppose they will gut it for modules (14 modules for S60) and sell them on eBay or reuse it otherwise:
Tesla Model S battery module, 24V, 250Ah, 5.3kWh, 444 Panasonic 18650 3400mAh | eBay

Estimated value of your old battery is around $10-13K at least. So you are basically paying $10K for labor.

You can do the math on how much we'd have to spend to get a 100kWh battery the current way ($60k).
This is exactly why Tesla won't do the battery upgrades. They'd make much, much more money on selling you a new car, and then reselling your 40 as a 60, than on upgrading your battery.

Maybe in the future when there are other EV options out there they'll change their tune, but it doesn't make any business sense for them to offer it now.

I'm glad I'm not alone here... I love my grey leather and matte obeche wood + yacht floor combo (all things that are now gone). I hate glossy trim in cars--it always ends up looking like cheap, unattractive junk and it causes glare.

If I had to replace my S with a new one, I'd probably go with the white interior and see what I could do about getting my hands on matte obeche trim pieces to replace the glossy dark ash... then I'd probably take a stab at removing the center console and retrofitting in a matte obeche yacht floor.

No clue why they did away with matte obeche. I have an MX with ultra white and matte obeche - picture is with direct sunlight... awesome combo.

IMG_0770.JPG

I'm curious to see what options they offer with the model 3. We have a reservation for one but if the interior choices are the same as the the current S choices, we'll probably be passing. Neither the black nor the reddish brown woods appeal to us. While we'll definitely be keeping the S for trips, the model 3 would just be replacing our "around the town" car. So we could easily go with another brand should anyone offer something compelling by the time we're to the front of the model 3 reservation list.