Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Realized today I'm a better driver because of Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well that’s more than a warning isn’t it... sounds rather scary if it is not possible to override the steering correction that the car applies? I thought it would work like the lane departure warning in other cars, e.g. VW Golf.

-Alex
It is possible to override the correction applied by the car. It was not possible to avoid the road debris in the situation I described without being more mindful of the need to override ELDA in such cases.

I made a small, but sharp, avoidance move to the right. Instinct. ELDA applied a small, but sharp, left turn back into the lane. There was very little time for me to react. Planning ahead for the possible correction would help. So would using the turn signal, but who does that in debris reaction mode?

Tough edge case.

• Informative
Reactions: alexGS
It is possible to override the correction applied by the car. It was not possible to avoid the road debris in the situation I described without being more mindful of the need to override ELDA in such cases.

I made a small, but sharp, avoidance move to the right. Instinct. ELDA applied a small, but sharp, left turn back into the lane. There was very little time for me to react. Planning ahead for the possible correction would help. So would using the turn signal, but who does that in debris reaction mode?

Tough edge case.

Thank you for the clarification, that makes sense. I know exactly what you mean about ‘planning ahead for the possible correction’.

Interesting, isn’t it, that we get used to how a car will react - eg. when driving on ice in the old days, we would expect possible understeer or oversteer depending on what we were driving, and correct accordingly. It seems nowadays we will expect the car to correct itself, and sometimes have to correct that...

-Alex

not a chance i turn any of these 'make me a better driver' features on. i like riding in the middle of the road straddling two lanes when there aren't cars immediately near me. I'm sure everyone who sees it would hate me but I think it actually makes me a safer driver. I don't think it would appreciate that, would be nudges, chirping and flashing lights all the time ;)

the issue here in Atlanta is ridiculously narrow lanes with major pot holes and open gutters on the right side, no margins and putting you within a couple feet of mailboxes, trees, and sidewalks and on the left side the oncoming cars who are also swerving into your lane to avoid the same. the safest location on the road is directly in the middle of the 2 lanes in your direction. many times this helped me avoid accidents of people stepping out onto the road. it provides a healthy margin where one 'legally' doesn't exist.

Last edited:
"Will I get flamed if I say I didn't need AP to teach me to do these things? More like my very insistent father - do it right or don't use my car - and later, racing school for being alert and paying attention to those around me"

I agree, we all should do these things, the reality is that sometimes we all need that extra reminder, that is what this car does.

Been driving a long time, so much so I have to admit I was in the habit of changing lanes everywhere without using a turn signal. Not that I have Emergency Lane Departure feature which requires me to use my turn signal when changing lanes, I now use my signal all the time. It has required me to use it on every lane change, and I now use it on every turn. It has sort of forced me into better habits and I know everyone around me appreciates it.

I will admit that I don't signal often, but even so have yet to experience ELDW. Perhaps its just the nature of the suburban towns where I mostly drive that has well marked lanes?

I've written about this, too. One thing I like is that I'm driving slower. I'm usually in the left lanes, doing 80-90 with traffic. I never get tickets, but I'm still always looking for cops, and what's up ahead. It's not relaxing. Now, I'm set for +10. Around town, this still allows 80-85, if I want. But not on a trip, unless I don't need the range. But it's so much easier with a set speed. And generally +10 for regular roads, too.

And traveling in these slower lanes, I realize the left lanes are more dangerous, with the more aggressive drivers. But the other lanes are also dangerous. More people changing lanes, to exit or get around trucks. It's a jungle out there!
And also, driving in the center lane, I've noticed how much weaving the faster drivers do. Some move over 2-4 lanes to get around slower traffic, with no care for safety. They let their ego be their guide!

Interesting to see others change driving habits with their Tesla the same as I have.
I used to be mad max in the left lane getting annoyed with idiots that won't get out of the left lane.

With AP and a reasonable speed (2 to 5 over), the drive is so much more relaxing.

I still get annoyed when I come up behind slowpokes in the right lane, well below the limit.
I generally drop AP, get around them quickly and resume my relaxing drive.

On longer trips, efficiency at lower speeds can reduce charge stops and charge time, so I think we get much of the time back in the end.

My wife and I drove to Key West recently, which we've done many times.
In our M3, this trip, I was able to enjoy the view and the trip more than any previous time.

We really love our M3. Maybe a MX to replace our minivan someday.

Our's is a M3P, so I have to say, it's the acceleration that I love the most, it never gets old.
The number one response when taking friends and family for a ride...."It's just like a roller coaster!"

Reactions: MacGreiner
I’ve already posted how ELDA saved me from a crash, so it has proved its value.

Less impressive and not amenable to signaling: I moved the car to the right side of my lane and crossed the lane marker to avoid some road debris in the center. ELDA pulled me right back into the center of the lane and over the debris. Not what I was aiming for.

I don’t routinely signal for road debris. Not as a matter of second nature.

This needs work.

On our many LONG road trips we run into this constantly. When it happens we gasp (or worse) and scream madly that the dumbest human driver would have handled it but not Tesla's AP. Once it was a tire laying in our lane so we needed to swerve around it. In that case a Tesla on FSD would have run right over the tire and who can guess the outcome.

I think the OP is conflating "Lane Departure Avoidance" and "Emergency Lane Departure Avoidance".

"Emergency Lane Departure Avoidance" won't do anything if you're simply changing lanes without using your turn signal since it's not an "emergency situation". ELDA is only supposed to activate if you're about to collide with another vehicle in an adjacent lane or if it thinks you're too close to the edge of the road. And ELDA cannot be permanently turned off in the settings.

Regular old non-emergency "Lane Departure Avoidance" can be set to the "ASSIST" setting to help keep you from leaving your lane when the turn signal is not on (which is what I suspect the OP is describing). But it can also be set to "WARNING" instead, or be permanently turned off in the settings.

So many good comments, funny and otherwise.

I love love love lane departure warning. More polite than forward collision warning and arguably as useful. Certainly fewer false positives.

Also love lane keep assist at low speeds. First time, we were driving to a restaurant and I got a bit distracted; wandered into the yellow double line and the car did a gentle correction. It felt like an irregularity in the pavement had steered the car back into the lane. So I’ve been provoking it and giggling when it does its thing.

On a completely unrelated note: I’m back to driving like an obnoxious a-hole. Did the hypermiler thing for a while, you know, 185Wh/mi. Got a little boring, plus every other car on the road was passing me; not safe.

Been driving a long time, so much so I have to admit I was in the habit of changing lanes everywhere without using a turn signal. Now that I have Emergency Lane Departure feature which requires me to use my turn signal when changing lanes, I now use my signal all the time. It has required me to use it on every lane change, and I now use it on every turn. It has sort of forced me into better habits and I know everyone around me appreciates it.

This just blows me away... Why in the world, do (did) you think that because you've been driving an long time, you are exempt from using your turn signals?

So if I understand correctly, because you've been driving for many years, that magically allows other drivers to read your thoughts and predict your movements on the road?

Been driving a long time, so much so I have to admit I was in the habit of changing lanes everywhere without using a turn signal. Now that I have Emergency Lane Departure feature which requires me to use my turn signal when changing lanes, I now use my signal all the time. It has required me to use it on every lane change, and I now use it on every turn. It has sort of forced me into better habits and I know everyone around me appreciates it.
I'm glad to hear someone else is finding this. I also have been driving for many years (47). I also use my turn signal regularly. But when changing lanes and I knew I was safe, I would forgo the signal. With the ELD in my Tesla I too have found it preferable to signal and prevent the shimmy to the steering wheel if I don't. Good post.