Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Really!! 2017 Chevy Bolt Motortrend Car of the Year

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Edit: I looked at the new design studio and now they show the full cash price before incentives ($66k for S60). You have to click "more details" to see the incentives and gas savings included. So much less misleading now.
Order a Tesla Model S | Tesla
I don't know what design studio you're looking at, but in mine I see "$53,000 Cost After Estimated Savings" and then if I scroll almost a full screen below that I see "$66,000 Cash Price" (and in microscopic print above that you find out that even that's a lie as they also add $1,200 above that as a "Destination & Doc Fee" which is unavoidable and therefore part of the cost making the real price $67,200.
That's on the US site, The Canadian site changes the prices to $75,000, $86,000, and $87,300 respectively.

Reactions: Eclectic
I don't know what design studio you're looking at, but in mine I see "$53,000 Cost After Estimated Savings" and then if I scroll almost a full screen below that I see "$66,000 Cash Price" (and in microscopic print above that you find out that even that's a lie as they also add $1,200 above that as a "Destination & Doc Fee" which is unavoidable and therefore part of the cost making the real price $67,200.
That's on the US site, The Canadian site changes the prices to $75,000, $86,000, and $87,300 respectively.
You probably have some previous state saved in your page. When I first go to that page and click "Cash", it shows $66k. You have to click "See Details" to see the incentives included. You can see the screen I am seeing if you click "Hide details".

design_studio.jpg

You probably have some previous state saved in your page. When I first go to that page and click "Cash", it shows $66k. You have to click "See Details" to see the incentives included. You can see the screen I am seeing if you click "Hide details".
There is no "hide details" button, nor a "show details" button.
Perhaps you reside somewhere with consumer protection legislation and Tesla is showing you a version of the page without the misleading advertising as a result?

I live in Minneapolis and I heard multiple ads on the radio today stating that the Bolt is, "not the electric car of the year, but THE car of the year." They cite the range and even use the phrase, "EV," not sure if most people know what that means. The the voiceover is by local DJ's.

It all makes me wonder what GM's intent is. Are they just trying to build brand image, or are they really looking at developing a mainstream demand for the Bolt? If their goal is to really get behind the Bolt, make it in quantity, sell it hard.....that would be great.

Anybody else hearing these ads in different markets?

I can't believe how much time I waste occasionally looking at this forum! You guys are addicted to the Tesla Kool-aid! Yes, the model 3 is cheaper than the bolt (at least until you start clicking on the options), faster, and much cooler than the bolt could ever dream of. I won't add better looking as that implies that the Bolt looks kinda decent. However, keep in mind that 1 out of every 4 of us bought the Model 3 sight unseen, without knowing anything about the car. So, we wanted a smaller entry-level Tesla to begin with. The reveal for the Model 3 knocked it out of the Ball park (Elon's version of the bat flip perhaps?). But, the Model 3 is still very much a concept car that is not ready for production. The Bolt is GM's reaction to the Model 3 rumors, so Tesla had a big head start, but still won't deliver the first car til the end of next year, and very likely even later than that. The Model 3 is a next generation car that WE are willing to wait for. But slamming current EV's that don't match our dream car is unfair. It's like comparing the Apple II computer to a brand new Macbook. Technology improves and costs drop. The model 3 can't be delivered until those prices drop first.

Guys, the Bolt EV is a solid, well-made car. This is an off-year. The Model X was released last year.

As for this year, I can see it. Our club had a chance to check it out last month.

Ok, read the review and that was a great overview. Very thorough and much appreciated. I also loved my blackberry :), had to get iphone apps for work so that was the end of it but.... it was a great device.

The bolt is a very European hatch looking vehicle for space utilization...I'm not a fan of the styling and think GM needs a GMC Porsche macan styled bolt variant...I'd buy one of those if it was a sexy cuv...

I'm sure it's technically excellent long term...

I'm ordering a new tesla model 3 because of its sexy good looks awd and ludicrious and autonomous modes...that just happens to be electric,,

GM vehicle is a great lift and uber vehicle but there is no passion to own one although it's acceleration is quicker than the Ford Fiesta and focus ST sport variants so their is room for GM to expand desirability.

Curiously, before 2017 is over, there will likely be more Model 3's on the road than Bolts.
Announcing a winner before a year has started is interesting also. Not a whole lot of data to go by. No-one has driven through a winter in a Bolt yet. At least not a buying customer.

Curiously, before 2017 is over, there will likely be more Model 3's on the road than Bolts.
Announcing a winner before a year has started is interesting also. Not a whole lot of data to go by. No-one has driven through a winter in a Bolt yet. At least not a buying customer.
I highly doubt that.
Tesla will meet their 2017 timeline for Model 3 the same way they met their (many times revised) timeline for the X, by delivering less than a dozen in a highly publicized event right at the end of the time allotted. We won't see any actual quantity of Model 3s until a few months later (well in to 2018).

With soon 400,000 or 500,000 to be made annually, I can't imagine themtrating the first runs of Model 3 as evening projects, gathering around, one hand pointing, other hand a beer can. A modest initial run is going to be a lot of cars. I'm not dead certain, but I could see Model 3 topping Bolt. Certainly regarding firm orders placed, headed into production.

Reactions: WarpedOne
I highly doubt that.
Tesla will meet their 2017 timeline for Model 3 the same way they met their (many times revised) timeline for the X, by delivering less than a dozen in a highly publicized event right at the end of the time allotted. We won't see any actual quantity of Model 3s until a few months later (well in to 2018).
I think you will be wrong. For all the other cars, the goal was something other than meeting the time line. Roadster, it was feasibility and performance. Model S it was safety and functionality. Model X it was pushing the technology. For the Model 3, their primary goal is stated as "manufacturability". I believe they will meet this goal, which means volume production very soon after beginning.

I think you will be wrong. For all the other cars, the goal was something other than meeting the time line. Roadster, it was feasibility and performance. Model S it was safety and functionality. Model X it was pushing the technology. For the Model 3, their primary goal is stated as "manufacturability". I believe they will meet this goal, which means volume production very soon after beginning.
We shall see.

And the first cars are going to employees not founders/celebrities/or the like.