Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Really bad glare from windshield

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife is a Realtor. We are taking possesion of our model X tomorrow and taking one of her clients out in the afternoon. Interesting to see what their reaction will be.

IMHO, I think the backseat in the Model S is not ideal for having passengers getting in and out.

I mostly meet customers at the house and don't drive customers around so much. A lot of investors who purchase property from out of state and do not even see the house personally. But now that you mention it will have to spend more time driving around in the backseat to see how it is to be a passenger. Thanks,

I mostly meet customers at the house and don't drive customers around so much. A lot of investors who purchase property from out of state and do not even see the house personally. But now that you mention it will have to spend more time driving around in the backseat to see how it is to be a passenger. Thanks,

We took the new X out about 30 minutes after we finished our delivery and picked up her clients. They were quite impressed with the car. We visited 8 different homes and the most fantastic feature about the car (no, not the doors), is that we could keep the car cool between visits. It was 113f out that day.

Things we learned:
  • It takes some time to get used to the doors and exiting through all four of them at the same time
  • I had the sun screen put in at delivery. This really saved us as the AZ sun would have been too much
  • The car had absolutely no trouble staying cool inside with us turning the AC on through the phone app between visits
  • We parked it at a restaurant while we had lunch. The app said that the internal temp was 119f. It just a couple minutes to cool it off again.
  • the Falcon Door top windows will have to be tinted. They are probably fine for most locations but the AZ sun on a day like this is just too bright to be comfortable underneath. Surprisingly, non of the windows caused any heat issues. Just brightness
  • The backup camera is a total requirement on this car. You really can't see much out of the rear. the clear image and backup lines combined with the proximity sensors made it easy to back in and out of curved and some very steep driveways
Having customers follow you to all these locations I think would have been very hard. This way she get to discuss the homes while driving and get some immediate feedback. We drove 70 miles with them (Phoenix is a VERY large, spread out city)

Overall, a great realtor car!

• Helpful
Reactions: Seattle Tom
I noticed and reported this problem right away too. At my car's visit to the SC to deal with build problems, I also bought a second dash grille for about $166 to play with. I would like to paint it matte black in some way to reduce reflections. The problem is that there is also a finer fabric below the metal mesh that could become clogged with paint easily. I will probably have to separate the layers to pull it off.

so I don't know if this is the same issue as the double vision thing going on but I noticed when driving in the day time on a sunny day that there's incredibly bad glare all across the windshield. It's especially bad because the vents on the top of the dashboard just reflect those little holes onto the windshield so all I see is a reflection of a bunch of dots. It's really distracting.

And then then there's also a reflection of the line where the vents on the dash meet the solid part of the dash. That line is exactly in my line of sight so I can't not see it.

Anybody else have this problem? Is it possible that there are different glass manufacturers for the X and some glass is better or worse than others?

I have the black headliner with tan leather interior if that somehow matters.

Anybody else suffering from this? Any solutions that people have come up with? I wonder if there's some anti-glare tint that might help or some rainX type of product I can wipe on the windshield that would help reduce glare?

I noticed and reported this problem right away too. At my car's visit to the SC to deal with build problems, I also bought a second dash grille for about $166 to play with. I would like to paint it matte black in some way to reduce reflections. The problem is that there is also a finer fabric below the metal mesh that could become clogged with paint easily. I will probably have to separate the layers to pull it off.
Please let us know (with pics if possible) how this experiment goes. Once I get delivery, I might want to do the same thing, depending on how distracting I find it.

Did you ever get a solution to this? I have the same issue with my 2022 model x