Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Really could use some advice here.. details below

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pics here -
So this last week, my friend rolled into their parking spot at work. However they didn’t realize that they didn’t put the car into “park” as it was in hold mode. They remained in the car for a couple minutes, and thought that their Model Y was rolling forward. Panicking, he floored the car while trying to hit the brakes unfortunately. It slammed the car in front of him before he was able to get it to stop.

The front bumper of was damaged (he popped it back into place) and the the front panel on the right side was also bent slightly, causing a loud squeak whenever the front passenger side door is opened. The alignment of the panels were also damaged as you can see from the pictures. In the meantime, the glass roof also managed to crack.

They tried to get an appointment at the Tesla Service Center, but got told to find a certified body shop and are looking for body shops currently.

The greatest issue is that AutoPilot functionality has been impacted severely. The car now sometimes brakes in the middle of the interstate, or other times does not brake at all. It does a really bad job at sensing cars.

I’m guessing that some of the sensors/camera have been affected? Has anybody experienced this after a collision? It also rolled over a bump, so could there be underside/ battery damage?

Finally, does anyone know what the turnaround times are to get the car in and out of a shop these days? Like how long would it take to get the parts from Tesla?

I was also wondering if frame damage is possible, since the alignment of the door is slightly off.

TLDR: Friend had a small frontal collision, AP affected. Need advice about service and turnaround times.