Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Really don't want to worry about degredation but it's hard seeing this...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have said to myself don't worry it will be fine but this downward trend is a bit concerning!

I only charge up to 80 percent and have done maybe 2 0 to 100 type charges...

Btw the green line is the fleet average in TeslaFi..so well below average now.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200710-072545.png
    Screenshot_20200710-072545.png
    162.4 KB · Views: 371
You do realize that is based on the way you are driving, right? It uses your own data to provide you with your averages. I highly doubt you have a serious issue as opposed to not driving more "in-line" with the EPA ratings, which are doable but most people in the real world don't/can't drive like that... I'd say chill, drive it, love it...

SS

So in Tesla Fi you get two things, Rated Range and Estimated Range.

Right now at 90% Charge my rated range is now 242.43
Right now at 90% Charge my estimated range is 214.91
Right now according to the Tesla App Rated Range and the Car itself it says my range is 242 Miles

I just worry when I see the "fleet" seemingly at the new rated range and mine dropping so quickly.. Your right though I should just enjoy it.. not like I am making many long trips right now ;) Will just keep an eye on it.

Last edited:
You do realize that is based on the way you are driving, right? It uses your own data to provide you with your averages. I highly doubt you have a serious issue as opposed to not driving more "in-line" with the EPA ratings, which are doable but most people in the real world don't/can't drive like that... I'd say chill, drive it, love it...

SS

Thanks for confirming that. I am still new and my efficiency is around 65%. I haven't gotten concerned because, let's just say, I don't hold back on pressing the accelerator pedal and hence I was expecting low efficiency. My first long trip coming up in early Aug but even then I figured, if I average 80mph as opposed to 65mph, my efficiency will be lower, yet time I gain by going faster will still be more than the time I loose with extra charging time.

So I am not concerned about efficiency when it is driver inflicted, which is the case in my case. I am hoping as time goes by I may switch to optimizing for efficiency as opposed to spirited driving.

Thanks for confirming that. I am still new and my efficiency is around 65%. I haven't gotten concerned because, let's just say, I don't hold back on pressing the accelerator pedal and hence I was expecting low efficiency. My first long trip coming up in early Aug but even then I figured, if I average 80mph as opposed to 65mph, my efficiency will be lower, yet time I gain by going faster will still be more than the time I loose with extra charging time.

So I am not concerned about efficiency when it is driver inflicted, which is the case in my case. I am hoping as time goes by I may switch to optimizing for efficiency as opposed to spirited driving.

You're welcome. The guys who disagreed with me are pretty smart about this stuff and did so after OP clarified. I wasn't aware he was referring to Rated as opposed to Estimated. Some decrease over the first few months in Rated range is normal, as are SW improvements, etc from Tesla to mitigate. This link may also help you, as it's Tesla's black and white on these issues:
Range Tips

We've also had Rated range decrease over the about 4 months we've had the car. I'm chalking it up to battery leveling, Inductions, and the TX heat. I don't think my lead foot wife helps, :rolleyes: , but we're still doing fine at 272 Wh/mi coming up on 4,000 soon though. We'll take it. Awesome car.

Good luck!

• Funny
Reactions: ElectricIAC
thank you. I was browsing through to find this exact topic. this was helpful. I have the LR AWD and i started wondering about my rated going from 310 to 300 in my first 45 days. I didn't realize that some degradation was normal the first few months.
On a positive note, the 28.5 update appears to have added some extra efficiency to the regular AWDs as well.

I went old school and looked at a long, flat drive and calculated my total range using % of battery used and miles traveled to find the miles I’d get from a full battery. It was much higher than what the TezLab app said my current battery range is. I have to drive up and down huge hills most of the time and that throws my range calculations off.

I went old school and looked at a long, flat drive and calculated my total range using % of battery used and miles traveled to find the miles I’d get from a full battery. It was much higher than what the TezLab app said my current battery range is. I have to drive up and down huge hills most of the time and that throws my range calculations off.

Good idea. Ill give that a shot. I use about 30% a day on a pretty flat commute. And i have a 100 mile trip later this month.

I have said to myself don't worry it will be fine but this downward trend is a bit concerning!

I only charge up to 80 percent and have done maybe 2 0 to 100 type charges...

Btw the green line is the fleet average in TeslaFi..so well below average now.

Sorry, OP. I have a few suggestions based on some recent findings in the Model 3 forums.

1. Since you have TeslaFi, confirm your car is actually "sleeping" and not remaining awake.
  2. Do you use Sentry mode 24/7? If so, try turning it off to allow the car to sleep.
  3. Allow the car to sleep after charging for 2-3hours if possible - understand this may not be possible based on your daily schedule and charging times (if you charge off-peak and use a lot of your battery daily)
  4. Allow the car to sleep for a few hours while at SoC of 50% or less.
Two TMC members have had rated range increase after a couple of weeks by allowing the car to rest after charging. One member, (the OP of this thread: How I Recovered Half of my Battery's Lost Capacity) was showing very similar rated range as you, and his car always had sentry mode on which did not allow the car to sleep. He has successfully recalibrated his BMS to better "see" his battery's capacity. I suggest you give the thread in the Model 3 forum a good read.

Wouldn't hurt to give it a shot.

I confirmed the car is sleeping. I don't have sentry mode enabled at my house as its in a garage. Tesla FI shows it being able to go to sleep just fine.

Could try the allow car to sleep at 50% of less.. Will give it a try, will probably need to find an excuse to drive a bit (stupid covid, don't go anywhere!)

But as of right now, sitting at 278.4 Miles on a Full Charge. So right at about a 4% loss still as from when I first posted.. not the end of the world as long as it doesn't drop anymore over the next 50k miles ;)

Just an update, things aren't getting better, this is just SAD. I am now down to 272 Miles of Range, just over a 6% loss now and only about 3k miles. At this point they are going to have to give another 10 mile range just to keep up with this degradation. You can see the drop since I bought it, then the quick jump up about 10 miles when they gave some extra range.. but since then its been a steady decrease :(

upload_2020-9-20_14-39-23.png

• Informative
Reactions: Arctic_White
I am down to 294. What did you do to get the 10 mile spike? I read the other thread about sentry mode and sleep. It turns out i had accidentally unchecked the "Except at home" for sentry mode at some point. I did make sure it is sleeping properly now and i am typically charging every other day now. It hasn't made any difference over the last 2 weeks. Still dropping at the same rate.

I am down to 294. What did you do to get the 10 mile spike? I read the other thread about sentry mode and sleep. It turns out i had accidentally unchecked the "Except at home" for sentry mode at some point. I did make sure it is sleeping properly now and i am typically charging every other day now. It hasn't made any difference over the last 2 weeks. Still dropping at the same rate.

Do you have performance or AWD? Thats a pretty large range lose if you have AWD. Tesla will go by what your 100% rated range is...you can check that by changing your display units to miles, then go to the App and set it to 100% charge. If that number matches what teslafi is showing then you might have a bad battery. Unfortunately I dont think Tesla will do anything about it until its 30% of rated capacity.

I got one of the first Performance and my rated is at 279/290 after 6 months.

You're welcome. The guys who disagreed with me are pretty smart about this stuff and did so after OP clarified. I wasn't aware he was referring to Rated as opposed to Estimated. Some decrease over the first few months in Rated range is normal, as are SW improvements, etc from Tesla to mitigate. This link may also help you, as it's Tesla's black and white on these issues:
Range Tips

We've also had Rated range decrease over the about 4 months we've had the car. I'm chalking it up to battery leveling, Inductions, and the TX heat. I don't think my lead foot wife helps, :rolleyes: , but we're still doing fine at 272 Wh/mi coming up on 4,000 soon though. We'll take it. Awesome car.

Good luck!

The guys who have continued to disagree with me (like the next ten...), months after the clarification was made by the OP and responded by me above, are not smart and are just trolling/can't read a thread before clicking a button apparently. Maybe we can go for a Bakers Dozen... C'mon guys, show your expertise! Click away. Or, better yet, actually state your case with a post...

I just saw another decrease in the stats, right around the time they enabled the Y to input what size wheels you are using, and am chalking that up to them finally coming clean on the range with Inductions. This should get a few clicks too...

SS

• Disagree
  • Funny
Reactions: VikH and Pilot1226