Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Really? Door seals are "stick-on"?

BreatheEasier

Mar 26, 2020
Northern Virginia
I noticed that my door seals were sagging at the bottom of the passenger-side doors. This wasn't the case when I accepted delivery on Saturday. I cleaned the surface with alcohol, and pressed them back into place. There doesn't seem to be an issue with the adhesive, but seriously, this seems like it will last a few months and then the adhesive will be junk and the door seals will need to be replaced.

I checked a couple of times today and things seem to be staying in their place, but is the M3 door seals also like this? I'll check in that forum, but I don't see how these will last that long with only sticker adhesive keeping them on the doors. My other vehicles (2011-2019 model years of different manufacture) all have some type of plastic attachment points that ensure the seal stays attached to the door itself.

Chris88

Feb 24, 2020
Regina
Yes the M3 lower seals are the same, Tesla isn't the first to do this. Some Manufacturers like Ford and Toyota use a combination like clips 75% of the way and only adhesive along the top. And others such as BMW and Volkswagen have used it for the whole weatherstrip around the door without clips. Actually I believe it's the Ford Focus that has an adhesive weatherstrip around the door as well.

FYI I believe the lower weatherstrip on the M3 is considered a non-reusable part from Tesla and the MY sounds to be the same type so should be too. I would check with your service center about just putting a new one on.

BreatheEasier

Mar 26, 2020
Northern Virginia
Thx for the input. I took a look through a couple of M3 forums, and folks have been using 3M super weatherstrip adhesive, 3M double-sided automotive trim tape, etc. it looks like for a couple of years. Doesn't seem that replacement helps, as some posts show that Tesla replaced the seals, only to have them sag again in a few months or a year. My other vehicles all have the seals attached to the body vs. the doors, so I think this has a lot to do with it, too, as the movement of the doors over time is over-stressing the seals. This is where I really think they could have done better with design, or at least put a plastic rivet in the seal every 8 inches or so, it would have gone a long way.

Chris88

Feb 24, 2020
Regina
Thx for the input. I took a look through a couple of M3 forums, and folks have been using 3M super weatherstrip adhesive, 3M double-sided automotive trim tape, etc. it looks like for a couple of years. Doesn't seem that replacement helps, as some posts show that Tesla replaced the seals, only to have them sag again in a few months or a year. My other vehicles all have the seals attached to the body vs. the doors, so I think this has a lot to do with it, too, as the movement of the doors over time is over-stressing the seals. This is where I really think they could have done better with design, or at least put a plastic rivet in the seal every 8 inches or so, it would have gone a long way.

Yes using 3M products should help if used properly. Be sure clean and degrease very well and use an adhesion promoter.

What vehicles have you previously owned? I cannot think of a single vehicle that does not also have a weatherstrip on the door.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC