Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Really feeling like a Beta Tester

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I spent a nice chunk of change for this Model S and day after day new issues come and go. It feels like we are a Beta tester and I certainly did not buy the car to be a Beta tester.

Today when I head for a drive all sorts on bings and bongs are sounding and then the following messages appear:

errors.jpg

The features came back around 1/2 hour later on their own. Its really been a frustrating experience.

If it makes you feel any better, TCS, ABS, and regen likely all go into limp mode if a common sensor/subsystem fails. It doesn't necessarily indicate there's more than one thing wrong.

But still, yeah, this is pretty much the textbook definition of average / below-average reliability…. Some of us get by 16000 miles with no faults, others get slaughtered by recurring problems.

Understand your point. Getting alerts is not all that bad though to help them track down a problem by seeing a pattern. My Avalon went in for an AC on/off issue, and 3 trips in and about 8 days total spent in the shop plus a new condenser and compressor and other parts, got the car back last night saying they can't figure it out. Might have helped them if they were seeing alerts on part/system failures. They called Toyota and have a new lead to try and would like to see if that will fix it. Very frustrating to have a sick car needing service in any event. Let us know what Service says on yours.

When something like this happens, the first step should be to attempt a reboot of the console (and possibly dashboard) processor - and see if the problem resolves.

And, if that doesn't work, call Tesla's phone support - who can look at the status of your car remotely and may be able to provide advice on what to do.

In the example above, it seems likely there may be a hardware problem - and if the phone support group confirms that, they should offer to put you in touch with the nearest service center to arrange for repairs (and a loaner, if needed).

FWIW, one recurring theme in owner satisfaction surveys for Teslas is that although the vehicles have more than their fair share of problems, owners tend to be very satisfied largely due to the service experience.

So, if the OP hasn't yet as a newer owner, he should reach out to service over telephone or email and have them triage the car. A lot of troubleshooting can be done remotely.

FWIW, one recurring theme in owner satisfaction surveys for Teslas is that although the vehicles have more than their fair share of problems, owners tend to be very satisfied largely due to the service experience.

So, if the OP hasn't yet as a newer owner, he should reach out to service over telephone or email and have them triage the car. A lot of troubleshooting can be done remotely.

I did email them and if I get a reply I will let everyone know what the issue is. My problem is I have a list of issues that I need to get addressed but the closest service center is 1 1/2 hours away from me so I dont want to make several trips and would prefer to just keep building the list and hopefully get all issues addressed at the same time.

Reactions: chillaban
I did email them and if I get a reply I will let everyone know what the issue is. My problem is I have a list of issues that I need to get addressed but the closest service center is 1 1/2 hours away from me so I dont want to make several trips and would prefer to just keep building the list and hopefully get all issues addressed at the same time.
Totally understand where you're coming from. I would definitely push them to make service more convenient to you if needed (e.g. via a ranger service, or dropping a loaner car off at your doorstep, etc). Needing to make a 3 hour round trip for their reliability issues would quickly become frustrating.

I spent a nice chunk of change for this Model S and day after day new issues come and go. It feels like we are a Beta tester and I certainly did not buy the car to be a Beta tester.

I've had my car more that 3 years and if owning it is beta testing, it's still been the best 3 years of driving in my life. I've had a few things go wrong in those years but no more than what happens with our BMW, Tahoe Hybrid and Nissan Leaf, and all other cars I've owned. In fact, it goes in less frequently since there's no oil changes required.

Your vehicle through an error code. It happens and will be fixed. Yes, it's a hassle but your concern is really more of your proximity to a service centre which you knew going in -- than "beta testing". You probably have other car makers' service centers close to your home but they don't make anything coming close to what Tesla builds so you have to take the good with the bad. For some people, they should not buy a Tesla if they live a long way from a service center and are not willing to accept the fact that service will likely be required. They should get an ICE so it can be serviced at the dealer up the street.

I've had my car more that 3 years and if owning it is beta testing, it's still been the best 3 years of driving in my life. I've had a few things go wrong in those years but no more than what happens with our BMW, Tahoe Hybrid and Nissan Leaf, and all other cars I've owned. In fact, it goes in less frequently since there's no oil changes required.

Your vehicle through an error code. It happens and will be fixed. Yes, it's a hassle but your concern is really more of your proximity to a service centre which you knew going in -- than "beta testing". You probably have other car makers' service centers close to your home but they don't make anything coming close to what Tesla builds so you have to take the good with the bad. For some people, they should not buy a Tesla if they live a long way from a service center and are not willing to accept the fact that service will likely be required. They should get an ICE so it can be serviced at the dealer up the street.

Well said.

Of course you bought the car to be a beta tester. That's all Tesla does is sell very expensive opportunities to become a beta tester. How could you not know this?

• Funny
Reactions: MS16 and TaoJones