Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Really? Is no one talking about the Chevy Bolt?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Cars companies pay so much money in advertisement that news groups don't want "to kill the goose that lay the golden eggs."

But imagine if Tiger Woods was driving a Tesla when he had a car accident few weeks ago....
I am sure that Tesla and the Auto Pilot would have been made responsible for the crash.
More likely the Tesla would have taken over and there would have been no crash.

GM asks Chevy Bolt EV owners not to charge overnight or park inside? JUST IMAGINE IF THIS WERE TESLA. Holy Cats, it would be the end of the world.

More than a week later, this finally triggered a recall to replace the batteries:

Reactions: SDBob
To be fair more gasoline Hyundai Tucsons caught fire in the last six months than Bolts in the last four years.

The population differences make it more stark for the Bolt but I’m kind of glad that this isn’t getting a crazy amount of attention. To the best of my knowledge there have been no serious injuries and the cars will be repaired. The less that EVs are stigmatized for fires the better.

I’m certainly no GM fan but cars catch fire and get recalled. This is just another one and as long as nobody gets hurt before the recall is complete then it’s a manageable mess.

Reactions: APotatoGod
I hope you're right about that, but these reports of Bolts catching fire have been in the mainstream news. I'm no GM fan either but I want to see public acceptance of all EVs and from afar, the Bolt looked like one of the best EV values out there. Even though this isn't applicable to the current year's model, people shopping the new Bolts will be aware of what happened with the older models and many of them will feel like it's too risky to trust GM with a battery powered car that they want to charge in their own garage.

Like the ignition scandal from just a few years ago, this is potentially another PR black eye for GM and this time it's kind of a shame. LG made those batteries, not GM, and they deserve some of the blame for this.

Whatever they do, you know GM will cheap-out and delay as much as possible.

I hope you're right about that, but these reports of Bolts catching fire have been in the mainstream news. I'm no GM fan either but I want to see public acceptance of all EVs and from afar, the Bolt looked like one of the best EV values out there. Even though this isn't applicable to the current year's model, people shopping the new Bolts will be aware of what happened with the older models and many of them will feel like it's too risky to trust GM with a battery powered car that they want to charge in their own garage.

Like the ignition scandal from just a few years ago, this is potentially another PR black eye for GM and this time it's kind of a shame. LG made those batteries, not GM, and they deserve some of the blame for this.

Imagine, knowing what you all clearly know... Imagine being the neighbor or 2nd cousin we all have that bought the 'not a Tesla' EV, because their trusted media source told them to. They were told Tesla's were dangerous, that Elon was going broke. Fire... hacking... fraud... ect.

Imagine being that person... What else are they being lied to about? Do they know? Who will tell them? Why is truth so elusive in 2021?

Imagine, knowing what you all clearly know... Imagine being the neighbor or 2nd cousin we all have that bought the 'not a Tesla' EV, because their trusted media source told them to. They were told Tesla's were dangerous, that Elon was going broke. Fire... hacking... fraud... ect.

Imagine being that person... What else are they being lied to about? Do they know? Who will tell them? Why is truth so elusive in 2021?
That's good!
I guess the lesson that can be learned from this through is always try to be as informed and open as possible about ideas and brands. It may had been difficult at first to overlook the FUD about Tesla but once you see the lies, FUD becomes obvious. I like the idea of an EV manufacture that can create a super bottle behind the scenes and I would recommend to stay clear of the ones that just make awesome commercials.

Reactions: mark95476 and SDBob
That's good!
I guess the lesson that can be learned from this through is always try to be as informed and open as possible about ideas and brands. It may had been difficult at first to overlook the FUD about Tesla but once you see the lies, FUD becomes obvious. I like the idea of an EV manufacture that can create a super bottle behind the scenes and I would recommend to stay clear of the ones that just make awesome commercials.

Tl;dr Our media is trash.

I have a '19 Bolt that's not part of the recall (later '19s and newer have batteries produced in Michigan not Korea). It cost just over half of what I paid for our Model Y after the Fed rebate. It's the first GM I've ever owned and honestly it's a great little car considering what it costs. Their stonewalling on pack replacements for those that are affected is a terrible move. As much as I like my current Bolt I don't think I could bring myself to buy another EV from them.

Reactions: ljbad4life
I have a '19 Bolt that's not part of the recall (later '19s and newer have batteries produced in Michigan not Korea). It cost just over half of what I paid for our Model Y after the Fed rebate. It's the first GM I've ever owned and honestly it's a great little car considering what it costs. Their stonewalling on pack replacements for those that are affected is a terrible move. As much as I like my current Bolt I don't think I could bring myself to buy another EV from them.
My wife Karen and I was invited to the EV event in Austin couple of years ago. Chevy was there with several Bolts for demo drives. I took one for a spin and was pleasantly surprised. If one is looking for a small car, this is a great option. I was fascinated at how well the rear mirror camera worked. Not to be confused with the backup camera. There was a bit of confusion on turning it on, shifting into the correct position and I found the two screens busy but all in all not bad for a small car.

Are these things still catching on fire? Sure has been a lot of news about the Bolt lately.
Yes, GM hasn't gotten to many of the Bolts to replace the battery pack. GM has just put a price on the cost to repair all of those Bolts. They are still recommend charging while being watched and parking outside (not inside garages) until GM can get to fix the cars. The Bolt fires are bad, but GM's slow action is a far larger problem in my mind.

• Informative
Reactions: Silicon Desert
Which is about 1/4 their yearly profit, I think. So, significant. I wonder if the big three are wondering if Elon’s true secret master plan is to box them into a situation where they bankrupt themselves :)
I wonder if LG is going to take part of that charge. It's clearly an LG manufacturing issue. It's the same issue that is affecting the Kona. That must strain the vendor relationship going forward.