Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Really? Is no one talking about the Chevy Bolt?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any of you saying that this is bad journalism are completely misinformed. Possibly intentionally, possibly because you don't understand that these 'news feeds' you have on your devices are absolute trash, absolute click-bait feeds, and has zero to do with journalism.

As people note above, the story shows up on TV, big papers like the WallStreetJournal- apparently stuff you never see because your click-bait habit doesn't show that type of story.

News feed like FaceBook and Apple and Google are computer algorithms that are designed and tuned to deliver you exactly what you want to see, and not a single thing that challenges your assumptions, ever. It's all about getting you to click on stuff, and the advertising dollars that ensue. You live in an information silo of your own making.

In real journalism, there is an Editor, not an algorithm, and the Editor will choose stories that are important and valuable, and might challenge your assumptions.

You want to understand how the world turned to sh^t in the last few years? This is it. You are being fed a steady diet of trash because you click on the trash and trained the algorithm that's the only thing you care about. Everyone is living in their own personally curated information silo thinking they are informed and that the other people must be misinformed. You aren't being informed, you are being entertained.

Claiming that the journalists don't care, or that the big-media are crushing the stories? Give me a break.

Well, if the New York Times isn't covering Nicki Minaj's cousins best friends swollen testicles, and his fiancee's getting cold feet about the marriage, then they aren't real journalists, are they???

RT

• Funny
Reactions: byeLT4 and bo3bdar
  • Funny
Reactions: cwerdna
We are not giving "GM a break". The Bolt Forum I am on is on fire right now about 24/7. If GM tried to make their own batteries and tanked it, then that would be one thing. They went to LG, who is supposed to know how to make batteries. LG screwed Hyundai and KIa as well as GM.

We are not giving "GM a break". The Bolt Forum I am on is on fire right now about 24/7. If GM tried to make their own batteries and tanked it, then that would be one thing. They went to LG, who is supposed to know how to make batteries. LG screwed Hyundai and KIa as well as GM.
Ahh the contractor's fault excuse, dislike that one as it's always used to escape fault.

Ahh the contractor's fault excuse, dislike that one as it's always used to escape fault.
No. Trust me, I blame GM for not correcting it quickly and they are ultimately responsible for this whole disaster. What I was saying is that before we knew of the defects and the issues with the batteries, going with one of the largest manufacturers to make a specific part is not a poor decision. What I am saying is that continue to fart around with this, with no information, timeline, workaround, or resolution is 100% GM's fault. They will need to get their pound of flesh from the closest point of LGs heart, I just don't want to wait on a Bolt fix while they do it. With this latest round of news, there are no outs. Can't sell it, so the only options left are repurchase (if you can get GM to follow through) or repair.

Reactions: Cobe
No. Trust me, I blame GM for not correcting it quickly and they are ultimately responsible for this whole disaster. What I was saying is that before we knew of the defects and the issues with the batteries, going with one of the largest manufacturers to make a specific part is not a poor decision. What I am saying is that continue to fart around with this, with no information, timeline, workaround, or resolution is 100% GM's fault. They will need to get their pound of flesh from the closest point of LGs heart, I just don't want to wait on a Bolt fix while they do it. With this latest round of news, there are no outs. Can't sell it, so the only options left are repurchase (if you can get GM to follow through) or repair.
The battery is the most important part in the car. It is the single costliest item in the car. They outsourced the most crucial part of the car. This is something Tesla learned from the very beginning (controlling thermal runaway) and vertically integrating the battery production and more importantly design. And this is what I meant by GM and the other legacy makers failing to learn from the playbook that Tesla laid out. You should read about what they went thru back then combating defective cells and thermal runaway, ultimately taking on design and production because they could not leave it to anyone else.

It's kind of crazy how much of a break owners are giving GM. This all should have been avoided had GM learned lessons from Tesla on how to build a battery. Thus it's downright negligent on GM, the result of their way of doing things.
Well, before Bolt shipped, GM had experience w/LG Chem for the Volt (began shipping Dec 2010) and also at least 1 year of Spark EV and it seemed like GM was happy with them.

There was even Nissan CEO: "Best Battery Maker Is LG Chem" - Wait, What? while Nissan was (and still is using AESC). AESC at the time was a JV between Nissan and NEC.

LG Chem won contracts w/many other BEV automakers.

Last edited:
The battery is the most important part in the car. It is the single costliest item in the car. They outsourced the most crucial part of the car. This is something Tesla learned from the very beginning (controlling thermal runaway) and vertically integrating the battery production and more importantly design. And this is what I meant by GM and the other legacy makers failing to learn from the playbook that Tesla laid out. You should read about what they went thru back then combating defective cells and thermal runaway, ultimately taking on design and production because they could not leave it to anyone else.
Leafs don't have a problem with this. Tesla at least in the past chosen to use pretty unstable chemistries. Official Tesla Model S thread - Page 227 - My Nissan Leaf Forum or the longer post on gm-volt.com is often quoted by others.

Tesla has chosen to sacrifice serviceability of their packs. I've seen some of the teardowns of Tesla packs. They're impossible to repair at a service center.

Bolt's packs can be disassembled and have modules/sections replaced at a dealer. Ditto for Leaf module replacement (Anybody with 2011 or 2012 interested in upgrade to new battery? - Page 20 - My Nissan Leaf Forum can give you an idea of people swapping all the modules of a Leaf pack).

Agreed (I'm on chevybolt.org + a bunch of Bolt FB groups) although I'm not sure if them screwing Kia. Hyundai? Yes.

Leafs don't have a problem with this. Tesla at least in the past chosen to use pretty unstable chemistries. Official Tesla Model S thread - Page 227 - My Nissan Leaf Forum or the longer post on gm-volt.com is often quoted by others.
By way of choosing volatile chemistries (which GM ended up choosing anyways in going with NMC, it's simply a necessity for higher energy density), Tesla also designed their packs to mitigate the effects (the S/X didn't have the heat dissipating goo, but they had module firewalls):
How Tesla's battery design avoided battery fire from single defective cell
That didn't seem to be present in the GM (or Hyundai) packs and to be fair, may not practical in the first place just due to the size of individual cells: there's only 288 cells (294 for Hyundai) vs thousands in a Tesla pack. Their approach is mainly to ensure no such defects happen in the first place, but LG Chem dropped the ball.

Tesla has chosen to sacrifice serviceability of their packs. I've seen some of the teardowns of Tesla packs. They're impossible to repair at a service center.

Bolt's packs can be disassembled and have modules/sections replaced at a dealer. Ditto for Leaf module replacement (Anybody with 2011 or 2012 interested in upgrade to new battery? - Page 20 - My Nissan Leaf Forum can give you an idea of people swapping all the modules of a Leaf pack).
Well, right in that thread you see people talking about cell balancing and how it's not really a practical way to bring up capacity on an old pack, and eventually you'll still have to replace all the modules (in which case only the shell is reused). Tesla's idea was they'll get the pack costs down enough that module serviceability wouldn't be a big concern. But obviously they are not there yet (haven't quite reached below even the $12k prepaid replacement for Roadster packs back in 2009, even accounting for inflation which would make it $15k in today's dollars). There's also concerns about training for local SCs to do module replacements (easier to take pack back and refurb in a dedicated facility) and I guess we'll see this tested for GM in the recall.

Also, in pursuit of energy density, some sacrifices in modularity typically happens. For example, the 62kWh pack is much less modular (16 modules of different size) than the 40 kWh one (24 identical modules) which itself was less modular than the 24kWh one (48 modules):
Here Is The Nissan LEAF e+ 62 kWh Battery: Video

Last edited:

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 60
Well lets hope they've found the fault this time...
It looks like GM and LG identified the set of circumstances fairly quickly and then missed completely determine the extent of the affected population. Hoping this will actually be a fix, mostly because our 2021 only has 1000k miles on it and my wife likes driving her Bolt, just without the risk of burning down the house when she's done.

LOL.
Even without the battery fire thing, the Bolt felt like driving a plastic Fisher Price toy.
It is not a sports car that is for sure, but the acceleration and power was leaps and bounds over our Leaf that we had before. It also has a short front end that my wife can see over (she's 4'11'') which is really a quality of life thing when she is driving. She also likes that it is smaller than the Tesla. There is a market for an electric car of this size and at the reduced MSRP of later models, the Bolt was priced right. It looks like GM has a new battery process they are happy with, so I hope that it gets resolved soonish.The most frustrating thing about this whole thing has been the lack of transparency and confusing messages from GM. The high point of the frustration was the parking restriction announcement, because it fuels panic about the whole thing far above the actual statistics of the issue. If they really felt that 50ft was necessary, they should have dropped off a car in front of everyone's house and parked the Bolts until this is resolved. Anyway, we sold out 2020, since having two cars under interdiction was a car too far (and I wanted a Tesla anyway), and we are holding out for a repair (for now) on our 2021 since the financials are not as favorable on that car barring a forced buyback.

Reactions: Cobe and cwerdna
Disagree about "FIsher Price toy". The car's fine but the interior is sure crappy for its price. Even some other cheaper GM cars sold during the era the Bolt was introduced had better interiors.

The drivetrain is a bit noisy to me for an EV. Leafs seems quieter. Otherwise, the car drives fine and I like its size for ease of parking and maneuverability. Like usna92, it has way better acceleration than my former gen 1 Leaf.

There have been a few more updates on this in the past day or two. See Chevrolet Bolt & Bolt EUV - Page 263 - My Nissan Leaf Forum.

FWIW, I did initiate the buyback process on my '19 Bolt a few weeks ago to see what GM offers me, if anything. Due to me having gotten the entire $7500 Federal tax credit and apparently, the calculations (at least for CA) not taking into account tax credit or not, it's possible I could get almost all my $ back.

I'm not holding my breath for it being a speedy process though. Mine is complicated by some minor hit and run damage by an unknown person. Someone hit my car and damaged the rear bumper cover. It'll need to be replaced but I want to see how much GM deducts for that vs. me paying for the repair.

Unfortunately, this is a terrible time to buy a used or new car so finding a reasonably priced BEV replacement is challenging. Supplies are thin and prices are high. If my Bolt goes back, there will be no car in my household, which will eventually become a problem for me.

Last edited:
haven't quite reached below even the $12k prepaid replacement for Roadster packs back in 2009, even accounting for inflation which would make it $15k in today's dollars
This isn't exactly a fair statement since the Roadster was made in such low quantity, there are minimal economies of scale involved. Just the labor to make a few hundred Roadster packs per year probably comes close to $12K. They would have to be hand-built at that quantity.

they should have dropped off a car in front of everyone's house and parked the Bolts until this is resolved.
GM essentially did this with our Gen1 EV1 back in '99 when they recalled the whole fleet and made the lessees turn then in. It was almost a year before we got a GEN2 EV1 (NiMH batteries producing 2X the range). Re-done Gen1's weren't returned for almost 2 years. This didn't work out too well for GM.

Basically GM has blown it with the Bolt. While I love the car, I agree with other posters that, were GM smart or serious, they would have internalized the manufacture of batteries so they could control their own destiny. As IBM learned, outsourcing the key components of your product, seldom turns out well - at least for you.

They're just lucky that the press hates Tesla so much that they've been kind to GM.