TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

really long posts, table formatting issue

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by brianman, Jan 27, 2013.

1. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Is there any configuration knobs we can turn on the site to keep posts like this one...
    Putting some numbers on the factors that affect range
    ... from turning into "a great many screenfulls" when the formatting goes bad?

Not a huge deal, but I thought it's worth asking.

2. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

What specifically? If you're referring to the tables, yes there are some formatting knobs. The poster might, for example, instead of specifying the width in terms of pixels (e.g., 1000px) you can put it as a percentage of frame width (e.g., 80%).

3. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Sorry, I'll try to elaborate.

When people are posting tables on the forum, it seems when you get a bracket wrong or a backlash or somesuch the page goes into crazy mode where it's one character per line and LOTS of lines. I'm wondering if there's some way to make the damage of the missing/extra characters less troublesome.

Regarding the original link, Chad or a mod apparently fixed his tables after the fact so they show up fine now.

4. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

I must have missed it.

5. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

I'll try to capture it next time I see it.

6. ChadS

ChadS Petroleum is for sissies

I pasted tables from Microsoft Word in to my post. They looked great in the editor...but once I posted it, I just got a bunch of text describing the tables.

So I deleted all that and used this site's advanced editor to create tables and copy the data in to them.

7. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

8. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder