TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Really loud and bizarre creaking coming from front left

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by FrozenCanuck, Sep 22, 2015.

1. FrozenCanuck

FrozenCanuck Member

Just recorded this sound during my 3km drive to take my kids to their class. I was driving between 10-55 km/hr, so quite slow, and with my windows down this was REALLY loud.

Anyone experience this?

I could not attach an M4a file, so here is the dropbox public link:
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1563938/Tesla1.m4a

2. ArtInCT

ArtInCT Always Learning

Tie Rod Ball Joint?

3. FrozenCanuck

FrozenCanuck Member

Yeah I found another thread where the driver posted a YouTube video (same sound exactly) and Tesla said it was a control arm ball joint. Same place (front left). I've submitted the service request to Tesla, hope they get back to me fast.

4. purplewalt

purplewalt Active Member

I had my left-front control arm go wonky, and this is very serious stuff: the only real event I have had with the car.

I could both hear and feel that the steering was not correct.
    PLEASE take your car to the local Service Center, and have it reviewed ASAP.
    Or have the Service Center come and pick the car up and bring you a loaner.

I had called both National TM and the local service Center alerting them that something was "not right".
    Unfortunately, they were not aware how serious it actually was (I wasn't crying Wolf).

When mine finally failed (completely) the next day, the car literally was un-drivable and had to be towed.
    They paid to have me Ubered me around for a couple of days and got me a loaner (dropped it off for me as I arrived at the airport), and finally got the car fixed and replaced the front tire and wheel liner.

5. islandbayy

islandbayy Active Member

Just had both sway bars replaced at 70,000. Got it back Monday. And ball joint at 59,000 in June. I do mostly freeway driving, and avoid potholes like the plague.... This is concerning :-(

6. cassiri

cassiri Member

I have the exact same thing. Front left only. Can only be heard while driving slowly and getting on/off accelerator. Mine keeps coming and going so when I am at the SC it of course doesn't do it. I did capture it very clearly on video and sent to my service advisor. Have not heard back yet. Is there a clear diagnosis for this? I see sway bar and ball joints mentioned above.

7. supratachophobia

supratachophobia Active Member

How much did all that cost?

8. rdrcrmatt

rdrcrmatt Member

I have a ball joint issue in my left front the SC didn't take care of on my last service appt.

ugh.

9. Xenius

Xenius Member

I really hope the answer to this is "it's included in the 600/yr maintenance package".

10. supratachophobia

supratachophobia Active Member

Hence my question. I'm looking at out of warranty costs to drive the car. And this would help.

11. Xenius

Xenius Member

Ah ok, I thought this was a required option. My mistake.