Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Really low range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just picked up my MYP on Saturday. When I picked it up there was 88% charge and as of today I am down to 46% remaining. My odometer is at 60 miles and when I picked up the car there was already 15 miles on the odometer. This seems like a really low range for a new MYP. Looking at the trip log my consumption is moderate at 270-280 Wh/mi. I am not really sure why I am getting such low range.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    364.8 KB · Views: 7,037
The 300+ mile range is calculated at 50 miles per hour on flat ground with no weather. Give that a try for five consecutive miles and see what the wh/mile is. You can view it on the consumption graph. I suspect it will be very close to the rated consumption.

If it's not, take a picture and share it here.

If you're driving any differently than that, the consumption will go up, and the range will come down. Same as a gasoline car.

• Informative
Reactions: cleverscreenam
When you precondition the Tesla Model Y this uses 1% to 2% of the battery, is not included in the Wh/mi computation. If the Tesla Model Y is plugged in while preconditioning the battery will be charged, depending on the charging rate this could take additional time. Also, while you are sitting parked in the Model Y learning all of its functions this will use power too.

As @Sophias_dad suggested, turn off Sentry Mode and Summon mode when parked at home. Sentry mode and Summon prevent the Model Y from entering sleep mode. Leaving Sentry mode active when parked at home will use ~7% of the battery charge per 24 hours when parked. If the Tesla Model Y is not plugged in and the battery charge falls below 20% then Sentry mode would be turned off.

Last edited:
Trip computer only tracks energy used for driving. Not for heating or any accessory functions like those mentioned by others above.
That's not true. I think you are mixing up the distinction of what the difference is. It definitely DOES count ALL energy, including heating and everything else. But it is only turning on the counter for it when the car gets put in a Drive or Reverse gear. So if you back out onto your driveway and leave it in Reverse and just hold your foot on the brake to keep it there and blast the heat for half an hour, it will show a huge amount of energy consumption there in that counter. But idle usage while the car is sleeping or "Off" doesn't get counted.

Sentry takes 6% a day. Just maintaining the car takes 2-3% a day. If using heat/ac it takes up a % a day. Need to remember this isn't a gas car where there's gas and a battery. It's all battery so everything the car does drains. There is no secondary source of power. Also, how fast you drive matters. In a Tesla the faster you drive the more battery you use up. Optimal is around 65mph. Less speed is better for the battery. Faster than 65mph and you'll use the batter faster.

You'll get used to it. I was the same way when I got my Tesla. After a month you realize you can't compare EV cars to gas cars. It's not apples to apples in terms of operation and fuel consumption.

I have a weekly drive that's 150 miles round trip. It takes up 200+ miles off my Tesla Y because I drive 80mph about 70% of the way. I tested it driving slower at around 65-70mph and noticed it only took 170+ miles.

It uses power every time you open the door.
And it will turn on the heat if it’s on.
I got in a habit of shutting HVAC off every time I exit the car.
Every time you poke it with the phone it uses more power too.
Not to mention Sentry mode if you enabled that.

I've left my Model Y parked in my garage (where Sentry is off) and it ticks 2-3% off a day.
Someone can check my calculations, but 3% of an 82 kWh battery is ~100 Wh, so there's essentially a 100W incandescent bulb running 24 hrs a day in your car. That's a decent amount of heat, like a heat-gun on a low setting. Car makes no sound or light when off, so there's gotta be heat somewhere. If someone you knew had a thermal camera, or a simple non-contact thermometer, it would be interesting to find where this heat is coming from.

Someone can check my calculations, but 3% of an 82 kWh battery is ~100 Wh, so there's essentially a 100W incandescent bulb running 24 hrs a day in your car. That's a decent amount of heat, like a heat-gun on a low setting. Car makes no sound or light when off, so there's gotta be heat somewhere. If someone you knew had a thermal camera, or a simple non-contact thermometer, it would be interesting to find where this heat is coming from.
When awake the Tesla Model Y uses ~230W. Checking the Tesla app wakes up the Model Y for ~20 minutes. So does charging the 12V battery (takes up to 2 hours.) When asleep the power drain is ~25W.

• Informative
Reactions: cleverscreenam
Last month I left my Y at the airport for 5 days. The car lost about 40% charge. Someone mentioned I should turn off Sentry mode, which I did and now the loss is down to 2-3% per day.

What I notice is that when I park my car at home at night, the AC compressor continues to run for some number of hours, which I assume is to either heat up or cool down the battery. To me this doesn’t make a lot of sense since I won’t be driving until the next morning. The power used when the car is idle is NOT calculated into the Total Energy used. So the Total Energy and Wh/mile is deceptive if there is power being used when the car is not being driven.

I’ve gotten into the habit of closing the Tesla app on my iPhone and that does help reduce the loss over night.

Reactions: EmbersDC
Last month I left my Y at the airport for 5 days. The car lost about 40% charge. Someone mentioned I should turn off Sentry mode, which I did and now the loss is down to 2-3% per day.

What I notice is that when I park my car at home at night, the AC compressor continues to run for some number of hours, which I assume is to either heat up or cool down the battery. To me this doesn’t make a lot of sense since I won’t be driving until the next morning. The power used when the car is idle is NOT calculated into the Total Energy used. So the Total Energy and Wh/mile is deceptive if there is power being used when the car is not being driven.

I’ve gotten into the habit of closing the Tesla app on my iPhone and that does help reduce the loss over night.
Having Sentry on and the Tesla app does drain the battery. Last week a branch fell on my rear windshield. My Model Y has been in the shop since Monday 9am. When dropped off the battery showed 278 miles. As of now only 4.5 days since it shows 180 miles. The mileage driven is the same since drop off.

So, it's been sitting in the service center not moving much yet it went from 278 miles to 180 miles (as of this morning) in 4.5 days. That's a 100 mile DROP. Where's the battery going? Sentry, idle time, heat pump, Tesla App, remote login, etc. I find it interesting the amount drained. 100 miles in 4.5 days is significant when the car isn't even driven.

Regardless, anyone with a Tesla should always expect a drain daily.

Reactions: WindPower
Having Sentry on and the Tesla app does drain the battery. Last week a branch fell on my rear windshield. My Model Y has been in the shop since Monday 9am. When dropped off the battery showed 278 miles. As of now only 4.5 days since it shows 180 miles. The mileage driven is the same since drop off.

So, it's been sitting in the service center not moving much yet it went from 278 miles to 180 miles (as of this morning) in 4.5 days. That's a 100 mile DROP. Where's the battery going? Sentry, idle time, heat pump, Tesla App, remote login, etc. I find it interesting the amount drained. 100 miles in 4.5 days is significant when the car isn't even driven.

Regardless, anyone with a Tesla should always expect a drain daily.
You can use the Tesla app to turn off Sentry mode unless Tesla Service has your vehicle locked in Service mode. You don't have access to the vehicle when it is in Service mode.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
3% of 82000Wh (82kWh) is 2460Wh (2.46kWh). 100Wh is 0.12%.