Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Really nice interview with Elon

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sandy has turned into a good Youtuber and knows his stuff. Elon of course knows also. Unfortunately Sandy is not the best interviewer (probably one of his first) and wasn't well prepared and of course Elon is not the best "of the cuff" speaker. So while interesting it could have been a much more informative/insightful had Sandy prepared the questions in advance and guided topics since Elon seemed eager to answer about anything from Sandy.

Came here to find discussion of this article. I was happy to see him own it. Unlike many who give everything he does a pass. Self awareness of the need to improve is critical to being a serious player. I would rather people here at TMC admit "hey we are early adopters and no car should really have X problem like this" vs. "it's fine, BMW is worse" or whatever the reason is that day. I've been lucky with my car (knock on wood) so far but many people here have not. It isn't fair to them to act like the issues are normal and should not be addressed.

Last edited:
Came here to find discussion of this article. I was happy to see him own it. Unlike many who give everything he does a pass. Self awareness of the need to improve is critical to being a serious player. I would rather people here at TMC admit "hey we are early adopters and no car should really have X problem like this" vs. "it's fine, BMW is worse" or whatever the reason is that day. I've been lucky so far but many people here have not. It isn't fair to them to act like the issues are normal and should not be addressed.

From threads I’ve seen, I see two main groups. Each are extreme, causing the other to react. :)
The first group of folks here (not fans of Tesla) find a fault, then completely exaggerate the fault, and spit it out repeatedly.
The second group (fans of Tesla), react to the exaggerated claims, by defending.

If the folks that aren’t fans of Tesla simply took a balanced approach to their feedback, I think they would find the fans did the same ...
Not likely ever going to happen, but that’s why I see over and over.

I think they could solve maybe 90% of the quality issues with a proper PDI. Most of the issues I've personally experienced could have been caught and easily rectified before delivery. Obviously this would slow down initial delivery, but ultimately takes the same amount of service time and avoids the poor reputation for quality. Other manufacturer dealers carry out a full PDI, which implies that their cars are not immune from factory issues. But the customer doesn't get to see the flaws. I haven't seen any evidence of a PDI with either of the cars I picked up.

I found it remarkable to see one of the richest people in the World sitting down in a humble conference room and chatting with a known critic of his design. Speaking off the cuff and un-edited to someone who has torn down several of his cars and examined them with a cold and calculating method.
They conversed casually and touch on many critical points with open banter.

Elon's first comment was that he considered Sandy's criticisms to be accurate and justified.

Sandy was obviously in awe at his good fortune, and rose to the occasion with an epic interview. He got lots of information from Elon while at the same time promoting his own company.

Found it refreshing to watch and was blown away that something like this could happen without scripts, creative editing and teams of lawyers. Like two football enthusiasts talking about a recent NFL championship game. Both with deep knowledge and an eagerness to raise awareness.

Last edited:
Came here to find discussion of this article. I was happy to see him own it. Unlike many who give everything he does a pass. Self awareness of the need to improve is critical to being a serious player. I would rather people here at TMC admit "hey we are early adopters and no car should really have X problem like this" vs. "it's fine, BMW is worse" or whatever the reason is that day. I've been lucky with my car (knock on wood) so far but many people here have not. It isn't fair to them to act like the issues are normal and should not be addressed.

Would love to see some ownership and self awareness from him on how the early FSD buyers he keeps lying to feel about their treatment and the damage it's doing to their willingness to ever be a customer again in the future.

Reactions: InternetDude
Please forgive me if this has already been posted but I just saw this technical interview and thought that it was worth sharing.

(moderator note: removed video as it is already posted in this thread, and moved this post to the existing thread)

Last edited by a moderator:
Would love to see some ownership and self awareness from him on how the early FSD buyers he keeps lying to feel about their treatment and the damage it's doing to their willingness to ever be a customer again in the future.

It would be good for his customers if he did acknowledge the delays that are contrary to his claims of when FSD is delivered.
But have you considered that he’s not lying like you claim, and that he’s just been wrong instead.

He has stated he has been overly optimistic to a fault. (Or some comment like that). He’s a passionate optimist. That’s not a great combination when setting goals with time frames. We all know that.

There is a big difference between calling someone a liar, if they are just wrong....

This is an example of what I was referring to a few threads up.... :)

It would be good for his customers if he did acknowledge the delays that are contrary to his claims of when FSD is delivered.
But have you considered that he’s not lying like you claim, and that he’s just been wrong instead.

He has stated he has been overly optimistic to a fault. (Or some comment like that). He’s a passionate optimist. That’s not a great combination when setting goals with time frames. We all know that.

There is a big difference between calling someone a liar, if they are just wrong....

This is an example of what I was referring to a few threads up.... :)

they said they would invite early FSD buyers to the early access program. Then they decided not to.

they said we would get priority for software updates, then they decided not to.

the things that are outside of their control? They're just wrong about those. But the things like the above where they have the ability and decided not to? That makes liars.

This wasn't what I would call "technical". Musk said the wheelwells had "50 different alloys" and Munro thought heat treatment meant "T6" and told Musk he should just make cars out of carbon fiber 'cause it's better, as each of them touted their material science expertise.

What was amazing though, is that Musk agreed to go off the cuff with a YouTuber. Wow!

But by far the most amazing part of that interview was the first 48 minutes of it, where Musk was just painfully uncomfortable and nervous while Munro just leaned on back and relaxed like he was about to crack open a beer and watch the game. Dude's unflappable, that's for sure. And probably a pretty good tipper too.

This wasn't what I would call "technical". Musk said the wheelwells had "50 different alloys" and Munro thought heat treatment meant "T6" and told Musk he should just make cars out of carbon fiber 'cause it's better, as each of them touted their material science expertise.

What was amazing though, is that Musk agreed to go off the cuff with a YouTuber. Wow!

But by far the most amazing part of that interview was the first 48 minutes of it, where Musk was just painfully uncomfortable and nervous while Munro just leaned on back and relaxed like he was about to crack open a beer and watch the game. Dude's unflappable, that's for sure. And probably a pretty good tipper too.

Musk being "painfully uncomfortable and nervous" is simply a public speaking challenge he has and part of his charm. I could care less as long as he builds a good car at a great price. Probably part of the reason he doesn't like the "scripted MBA" types besides just the bean-counting

Last edited:
Reactions: st50maint
I think they could solve maybe 90% of the quality issues with a proper PDI. Most of the issues I've personally experienced could have been caught and easily rectified before delivery. Obviously this would slow down initial delivery, but ultimately takes the same amount of service time and avoids the poor reputation for quality. Other manufacturer dealers carry out a full PDI, which implies that their cars are not immune from factory issues. But the customer doesn't get to see the flaws. I haven't seen any evidence of a PDI with either of the cars I picked up.
I assume you mean Pre-Delivery Inspection at the shop?
That's far too late. It's factory inspection but then again line inspection if not at time of manufacturing ... robots badly programmed?