TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Really old website about a guy's electric car conversion

Discussion in 'Electric Conversions' started by Rheazombi, Feb 27, 2009.

1. Rheazombi

Rheazombi Member

#1 Rheazombi, Feb 27, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2009
    Not as old as some websites about electric cars, I'm sure. But I found this and was pretty amused to say the least. Zig's Amazing Electric Vehicle

He talks about how lead-acid batteries need improvement and about how his electric conversion gets 35 miles range on a good day..

I can't pinpoint when the main bulk of text was written but I'm guessing between 1998-2002?

I'm assuming lithium-ions are a relatively new thing since wide-spread laptop use?

He then starts talking about the pros and cons of possibly owning an EV1... (!)
    *poignant sigh*:frown:

Also, even this guy foreshadowed the nefarious things to come...

PS: Not sure if this should go in the off-topic thread or what.

2. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Well they went mainstream with cellphones, laptops, PDAs, digital cameras and the like. Previously they were exotic and hyper expensive.

There are gobs of battery technologies, but the primary ones considered for EV conversion tended to be:

#1: Lead/Acid
    #2: Nickel Cadmium (short lived)
    #3: Nickel Metal Hydride (still used in most Hybrids)
    #4: Li-Ion

Even within Li-Ion there are various chemistries to consider.

3. Rheazombi

Rheazombi Member

good to know!

question: When people make their own home DIY kits these days what batteries do they tend to use?

(I'm trying to convince my little brother to turn our old Landcruiser into an EV :smile:)

4. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

You find all sorts.

Plenty of people still use (heavy) lead acid because it is cheap, easy to find, and simple to work with... But along with being heavy it doesn't last very long.

Li-Ion is what "anybody who is anybody" is using these days, but it is expensive, and you have to do your charging carefully or you can ruin the cells.

I still see the occasional NiMH project, but it is expensive enough that most people want the lighter weight of Li-Ion.

5. Cobos

Cobos S60 owner since 2013

Another advantage of Lead-acid compared to newer solutions is their small up-front cost. If you've made your own BMS or the BMS craps out on you the loss of a few cells or the whole battery pack isn't that bad. Even in very expensive Norway Buddy only asks for about $3000 for their lead-acid pack for their car. That one will last about 20 000km and gives you a 50-80km range. Pretty decent for a NEV with a topspeed of 80km/h, and due to it's clear city focus the low range is usually not a problem. Most people use this in addition to another dinojuice based car.
    So for homeconversion I'd say Lead acid is still a pretty good idea based on cost. Though your range wont be very long.

Cobos