Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Really old website about a guy's electric car conversion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not as old as some websites about electric cars, I'm sure. But I found this and was pretty amused to say the least. Zig's Amazing Electric Vehicle

He talks about how lead-acid batteries need improvement and about how his electric conversion gets 35 miles range on a good day..

I can't pinpoint when the main bulk of text was written but I'm guessing between 1998-2002?

Zig said:
Lead-acid batteries are improving, but only incrementally: I doubt we'll see more than a 10% increase in capacity over the next few years. More promising are newer batteries such as nickel-metal-hydride and zinc-air, and power generation systems such as fuel cells. But none of these are remotely affordable, most aren't even available.

I'm assuming lithium-ions are a relatively new thing since wide-spread laptop use?

He then starts talking about the pros and cons of possibly owning an EV1... (!)
Zig said:
The EV1 has a major company behind it. If you have troubles with your car, just call GM and they'll take care of you. GM has picked up drivers who ran their batteries empty.
*poignant sigh*:frown:

Also, even this guy foreshadowed the nefarious things to come...

Zig said:
Number three reason I don't drive an EV1: conspiracy theory. I don't really trust the motives of major auto manufacturers. Major corporations do not always do what is in the best long-term interests of their own employees, their company, their economy, nation, or planet. I don't expect them to: this is commerce, not charity. I truly believe that major auto manufacturers are scared of the electric car. It's an unknown market to them. Electric cars last longer than gas-powered cars and they have fewer parts to wear out. This makes it harder for auto manufacturers to make a profit selling and servicing electric cars, so they'll do what they can to prevent the electric car market from cannibalizing their lucrative gas-powered market.

PS: Not sure if this should go in the off-topic thread or what.

Last edited:
I'm assuming lithium-ions are a relatively new thing since wide-spread laptop use?

Well they went mainstream with cellphones, laptops, PDAs, digital cameras and the like. Previously they were exotic and hyper expensive.

There are gobs of battery technologies, but the primary ones considered for EV conversion tended to be:

#1: Lead/Acid
#2: Nickel Cadmium (short lived)
#3: Nickel Metal Hydride (still used in most Hybrids)
#4: Li-Ion

Even within Li-Ion there are various chemistries to consider.

You find all sorts.

Plenty of people still use (heavy) lead acid because it is cheap, easy to find, and simple to work with... But along with being heavy it doesn't last very long.

Li-Ion is what "anybody who is anybody" is using these days, but it is expensive, and you have to do your charging carefully or you can ruin the cells.

I still see the occasional NiMH project, but it is expensive enough that most people want the lighter weight of Li-Ion.

Another advantage of Lead-acid compared to newer solutions is their small up-front cost. If you've made your own BMS or the BMS craps out on you the loss of a few cells or the whole battery pack isn't that bad. Even in very expensive Norway Buddy only asks for about $3000 for their lead-acid pack for their car. That one will last about 20 000km and gives you a 50-80km range. Pretty decent for a NEV with a topspeed of 80km/h, and due to it's clear city focus the low range is usually not a problem. Most people use this in addition to another dinojuice based car.
So for homeconversion I'd say Lead acid is still a pretty good idea based on cost. Though your range wont be very long.

Cobos