Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Really poor range from 2017 model x 90D? should i return to dealer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have just bought a 2017 tesla model x 90D but im having concerns with the range and high wh/mi im getting.

At 100%=232miles but i am getting 587 wh/mi on average which is ridiculously high and so i end up consuming 30miles of range for a 15mile journey , i have 20inch wheels and drive at energy saving mode.
The weather is around 40-50 degrees Fahrenheit.
Should i be concerned?

Yep 587 is high. Set a trip counter and let it run for 500 or 1000 miles. If the resulting consumption rate is still up near 587 you can legitimately ask if there's something you can be doing differently* or if there's actually something wrong with the car.

Certainly any one short trip can result in disconcertingly high numbers. Make sure your observations incorporate a fair number of trips.

( * probably 1) slow down, 2) use the seat heater more and the fan heater less, and 3) drive in 'chill mode' both as a control setting and a driving philosophy. There's other stuff, but those seem to always be near the top of the list of things you can actually control)

I have a P90D. I averaged 335 from January to September, I've averaged 405 after the cool weather arrived in October. I haven't changed how I use it, it's just that some seasonal fluctuation is normal.

The rated miles in your battery display would correspond to actual achievable distance if you could keep your trip meter's reported consumption rate around 300-305 Wh/mi. Anything higher than that and yes, the real world 'range' will turn out to be less than the number that was next to the battery icon when the trip started.

As a practical matter people struggle to hit 305 unless it's a warm day and you're driving at a moderate and steady speed.

But 400 or 450 should be achievable even in rainy city driving.

Good luck!

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
Upvote 0
Have a 2017MX 90d with 20’s as well and agree 500+ is concerning If you are driving regular. Agree with the recommendations from Harvey. even in the cold weather (35-40 degrees) I can usually keep it under 400 and I do use the fan heater pretty often.

Upvote 0
Yep 587 is high. Set a trip counter and let it run for 500 or 1000 miles. If the resulting consumption rate is still up near 587 you can legitimately ask if there's something you can be doing differently* or if there's actually something wrong with the car.

Certainly any one short trip can result in disconcertingly high numbers. Make sure your observations incorporate a fair number of trips.

( * probably 1) slow down, 2) use the seat heater more and the fan heater less, and 3) drive in 'chill mode' both as a control setting and a driving philosophy. There's other stuff, but those seem to always be near the top of the list of things you can actually control)

I have a P90D. I averaged 335 from January to September, I've averaged 405 after the cool weather arrived in October. I haven't changed how I use it, it's just that some seasonal fluctuation is normal.

The rated miles in your battery display would correspond to actual achievable distance if you could keep your trip meter's reported consumption rate around 300-305 Wh/mi. Anything higher than that and yes, the real world 'range' will turn out to be less than the number that was next to the battery icon when the trip started.

As a practical matter people struggle to hit 305 unless it's a warm day and you're driving at a moderate and steady speed.

But 400 or 450 should be achievable even in rainy city driving.

Good luck!
Thank you for your response, yes i will call tesla up tomorrow because i have driven it today and at 30miles it averaged 711 wh/mi while at 15 miles it did 505 wh/mi.

Upvote 0
If the car sat unused in 40 degree temps and you began driving it immediately for a short distance, that could explain the unusually high consumption. The car will use a lot of energy to heat up both the battery and the cabin. You can mitigate this by pre-heating the car while it’s plugged in before you begin your drive.
I will give this a go tomorrow thank you!

Upvote 0