Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Really? Tesla is a little too cost conscious!

NJEV-Don

Sep 10, 2020
Northern New Jersey
What exactly are you requesting help with?

Is this another snarky response? I don’t want to assume but since you’re contributing to the thread I am thinking you read the entire thread. In short, I posted something and people responded. I was not asking for help. I was venting and offering an opinion on something regarding my new MY. One guy (now 2?) offered an opinion that wasn’t very helpful and was already answered in a previous post. Thanks for chipping in though.

NJEV-Don

Sep 10, 2020
Northern New Jersey
If you aren't asking for help you have no reason to call another on-topic comment "unhelpful." Just my two cents, take em or leave em.

I was the OP. I posted a statement it was not a plea for help. I was looking for feedback and opinions on my topic. I received plenty of good responses that were on topic and helpful even if the person disagreed with my opinion. The one person replied that I shouldn’t be so cheap and should just buy the thing I was complaining about Tesla not including. I had posted that I already had purchased it after my initial post. Therefore what he posted was no longer relevant or on topic and not particularly helpful to me. Thanks for your 2 cents but I decided to leave em.

MrTuna

May 3, 2020
South Bend, Indiana
The best part about not coming with one, is that you as a user can pick.

Some users pick to buy a spare.
Some users pick to buy some goop.

I personally have a 12v compressor already, but do not carry goop nor a spare. Have not had a tire blow out on a road trip in 20+ years. All of my flat tires are nails around town. If I did have a tire blow out on a road trip, would find a local tow truck and call them up. Rather deal with that once per 10-20 years, over lug around a 50 pound tire.

Pilot1226

Dec 20, 2019
USA
We’ve been talking about this a little bit On the New Jersey rebate thread. I am planning to purchase the compressor and sealant kit from Tesla for peace of mind.

I am also planning to purchase the modernspare kit as well as a tire plug kit because I don’t want to have to rely on roadside assistance exclusively.

sometimes I work late shift work or very early shift work and the last thing I want to do is be on the road at 2 AM and have to wait for a tow truck.

I probably use the plug kit as my first option, and then use the sealant kit if I had to as a last resort.

asolof

Sep 26, 2020
New Jersey
I got my Model Y Friday 10/10/20. My left rear tire was completely flat 10/11/20 after driving 60 miles. Fortunately, most of the air leaked while the car was in my driveway and I had a tire plug kit and compressor at home. I was going to make a post with the same exact points and opinions of the OP until I found this thread.

Also, I don't know about the specific type of TPMS in the Model Y, but this stuff might be OK to use (I always have it in my motorcycle tires):
Ride-On is safe to use in combination with most TPMS or Tire Pressure Monitoring System sensors, provided that they are hermetically sealed. Ride-On is a liquid and if it gets inside the sensor, this may affect its efficacy negatively. Always check with your dealer if your sensor is hermetically sealed.

Attachments

• Flat Tire.jpg
    Flat Tire.jpg
    306.3 KB · Views: 12

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC